Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:08 AM

246 posts, read 431,572 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling into Vegas as tourists from the East Coast in October.
We have plans to rent a vehicle and one day do the Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon West Rim.

In addition to this, on an entire day up to 12-14 hours, we plan to take a trip into California.

While time will be limited, what do you suggest we do, go to with a max drive distance of 2.5-3 hours away.

We like tourist traps, but also like places less traveled,
We'd also like a shot of a sign that says "WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA"

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 08:05 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Even Palm Springs is 4 hours from Las Vegas. California has so much to offer, you should plan a different trip to explore it. I've been to LA and San Diego many times, they are both places to see IMO. I've also spent time in San Francisco, but it has been many years since I've been there. From what I've seen recently, I don't think now is a good time to go there.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:08 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon in same day? FYI - you'll spend the whole day driving....that'll be 5+ hours each way.

2.5-3 hours into California? You can make it to Barstow to get a "welcome to CA sign"....but, yuck. Recommend just head over to Furnace Creek, Death Valley.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon in same day? FYI - you'll spend the whole day driving....that'll be 5+ hours each way.

2.5-3 hours into California? You can make it to Barstow to get a "welcome to CA sign"....but, yuck. Recommend just head over to Furnace Creek, Death Valley.
We know the distance, and it's not 5+ hours each way, it'll be 5 hours total driving.

It is 2 hours and 29 minutes from our hotel to Grand Canyon West & Skywalk, and Hoover Dam is on that route. This is according to Google, and I may not know something you know of, but please fill me in if that's the case.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:26 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Quote:

Don't try to do too much and short the time you spend at Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon, both are great.

You can easily spend a day or two at Grand Canyon once you get there. I would plan to spend some nights so you can enjoy the locations and not try to rush getting there and back to Vegas.

I've travelled a lot and always regretted trying to do too much and not spending enough time in the places I've been.

I was doing some work in Jackson Hole one summer and took a day to drive up to Yellowstone. By the time I got there, I didn't have much time to spend before I had to drive back to Jackson. There are lots of tourists and traffic that slows everything down in every place that people want to see. Don't think you will get right in and be the only ones there, lol.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Don't try to do too much and short the time you spend at Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon, both are great.

You can easily spend a day or two at Grand Canyon once you get there. I would plan to spend some nights so you can enjoy the locations and not try to rush getting there and back to Vegas.

I've travelled a lot and always regretted trying to do too much and not spending enough time in the places I've been.

I was doing some work in Jackson Hole one summer and took a day to drive up to Yellowstone. By the time I got there, I didn't have much time to spend before I had to drive back to Jackson. There are lots of tourists and traffic that slows everything down in every place that people want to see. Don't think you will get right in and be the only ones there, lol.
Thanks,
We will only be in town from Monday - Saturday.
Our plane lands Monday at 12:30pm, and we leave Saturday Morning.

The plan is to leave early in the morning and make it to Hoover Dam, spend a few hours there, then be at Grand Canyon West during the day, but plans to stay around until sunset. While I'd love to stay longer and do more, we will be short on time with the other plans we plan to do.

California is not really important to us. Just getting in to say "we were there" is just fine with us to be honest.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:14 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
We know the distance, and it's not 5+ hours each way, it'll be 5 hours total driving.

It is 2 hours and 29 minutes from our hotel to Grand Canyon West & Skywalk, and Hoover Dam is on that route. This is according to Google, and I may not know something you know of, but please fill me in if that's the case.
Ok - good luck, you seem to have it figured out! Please let us know how it works out for you.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Ok - good luck, you seem to have it figured out! Please let us know how it works out for you.
Not necessarily "figured out" but just curious as to why you are saying 5 hours each way, with a total of 10 hours travel when Google Maps says otherwise.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:32 PM

22 posts, read 15,701 times
Grand Canyon W is aight but kinda GC Lite. South and North are where it is at.

You might just want to go to Stateline/Primm. You can see the sign and buy California lottery tickets. As others have noted worthwhile parts of Cali are kinda far. Death Valley may work.

Enjoy!

Old 05-15-2023, 04:32 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Thanks,
We will only be in town from Monday - Saturday.
Our plane lands Monday at 12:30pm, and we leave Saturday Morning.

The plan is to leave early in the morning and make it to Hoover Dam, spend a few hours there, then be at Grand Canyon West during the day, but plans to stay around until sunset. While I'd love to stay longer and do more, we will be short on time with the other plans we plan to do.

California is not really important to us. Just getting in to say "we were there" is just fine with us to be honest.
You can drive south on I-15 for half an hour to the town of Primm on the state line and get a picture next to the "Welcome to California" sign, then turn around and go back to Las Vegas.

Don't do this on a Sunday, however, because you will likely spend almost 2 hours sitting in traffic before reaching the state line and you'll regret it.

If you really want to go to California and enjoy all it has to offer, it's best to just fly directly there and make it an entire trip on its own.

Sticking your foot on one side of the state line and getting a picture in front a sign that denotes a political boundary doesn't really constitute visiting a place.

If you were visiting France, would you drive to the border with Spain just to say you technically went to Spain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas