Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,894 times

Advertisements

We'll be in Las Vegas in April and would like to know about accessibility of the desert sites around Vegas: Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and others that I don't know of. We'll have a rental car. Would love suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,027 times
We see scooters everywhere. Wide open spaces baby.

Heck we even have people who drive them to the store, as in down the street/sidewalk. I am not kidding.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsahm09 View Post
We'll be in Las Vegas in April and would like to know about accessibility of the desert sites around Vegas: Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and others that I don't know of. We'll have a rental car. Would love suggestions. Thanks.

Red Rock varies. If you stop in the center they have advice on which of the sites are accessible. Most are not...though the view from the car is OK and there are a few where a scooter can pentrate.

Valley of the fire is mostly a car place...drive through stop occassionally and gawk.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Red Rock varies. If you stop in the center they have advice on which of the sites are accessible. Most are not...though the view from the car is OK and there are a few where a scooter can pentrate.

Valley of the fire is mostly a car place...drive through stop occassionally and gawk.
Boy are you lazy.

Valley of Fire, while not very handicap friendly, is for hiking. There are trails everywhere, but few paved for wheelchairs since there is a lot of rock scrambling and sand covers everything. One of the best rocks for petroglyphs is up a very steep flight of steps. Mouse's Tank is way back in over a soft sand trail that dies your shoes red. That's the nature of Valley of Fire...red sandstone formations...red sand. It is still worth a car trip, and you'll find plenty of petroglyphs close to parking areas. Although you won't be able to get close to many features in a wheelchair, there are enough to keep you interestd with some paved parking at the sites. Binoculars would be a big help if you are looking at stuff from the car though. IT's a lot of wide open space out there.

The touristy parts of Red Rock Canyon are wheelchair accessible, but the trails are rugged. Nevada is 110,000 square miles of wilderness. I've covered a lot of it myself in the past, but now, due to health, even I can't get in to the really tough places. Just a part of life I guess. You can go up to the mountain and find some paved parking here and there at viewpoints and at the lodge, but again, you're at well over 7,000 feet and it's wild and rugged.

Just go and do what you can and enjoy nature.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsahm09 View Post
One very neat, and mostly overlooked spot, is the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Corn Creek Station. Desert NWR Corn Creek History, Fish and Wildlife Service

Las Vegas Southern Nevada desert National Wildlife Refuge

Another is Floyd Lamb/Tule Springs park. It is very wheelchair acessible and worth a visit.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
You got me...however my view of the Valley of the Fire has been on two or so afternoons with a couple of hour time limit.

I would however shamefacedly claim kinship with 95% of the visitors to the Valley of Fire. It is so big as to defy a one day ken.

And almost no one has more time on that exhibit.

And even on my list it is four or five down.

So it is going to be a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Boy are you lazy.

Valley of Fire, while not very handicap friendly, is for hiking. There are trails everywhere, but few paved for wheelchairs since there is a lot of rock scrambling and sand covers everything. One of the best rocks for petroglyphs is up a very steep flight of steps. Mouse's Tank is way back in over a soft sand trail that dies your shoes red. That's the nature of Valley of Fire...red sandstone formations...red sand. It is still worth a car trip, and you'll find plenty of petroglyphs close to parking areas. Although you won't be able to get close to many features in a wheelchair, there are enough to keep you interestd with some paved parking at the sites. Binoculars would be a big help if you are looking at stuff from the car though. IT's a lot of wide open space out there.

The touristy parts of Red Rock Canyon are wheelchair accessible, but the trails are rugged. Nevada is 110,000 square miles of wilderness. I've covered a lot of it myself in the past, but now, due to health, even I can't get in to the really tough places. Just a part of life I guess. You can go up to the mountain and find some paved parking here and there at viewpoints and at the lodge, but again, you're at well over 7,000 feet and it's wild and rugged.

Just go and do what you can and enjoy nature.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
My brother got married in Valley of Fire...ceremony was performed under the natural arch...very beautiful.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,894 times
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. we're looking forward to the trip!
Rsahm

Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM

252 posts, read 906,174 times
I have yet to go on a hike at Red Rock Canyon that I would consider wheelchair or scooter accessible. BUT even the overlook views along the Scenic Loop (and there are many places to stop) are worth seeing and may have a little wheeling/scooting around you could do. I think the views are worth it even if you never get out of the car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas