U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM

444 posts, read 1,432,561 times

Advertisements

About those missing garage door opener remotes ... you can do a search on google by the name of the opener, like Liftmaster, and narrow it down to the right one. Ours ran around $40.

If the community is gated the HOA management company can guide you to an opener to the gate by model number etc. Our 2007 Camry actually has buttons for openers up near the rearview mirror. But we had to find a remote to match the gate before the car could be programmed.

The key is whether the remote has the right number of buttons inside. After those were set properly we were able to go through a sequence of aim, hold, release etc to have the garage and gate open via the car's unit. So, you have to have the remotes to program everything, then you store them away like you don't need em, lol.

After all of this conversation, I am almost embarassed to report that the bank owned we bought was in move in condition with all appliances including washer and dryer. We didn't even have to paint. As you may have seen before, we did have the water heater go out, but that was due to age or just non-use. I hope you all have the same luck we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,612,569 times
One reason many of the newer homes have no fridge is because they didn't come with one and the original buyer was foreclosed upon before even moving in. The builder puts in a dishwasher and an oven, but no fridge. If the homeowner is foreclosed upon or walks away from the house after making a deposit, no fridge is ever installed in the house. I saw quite a bit of that in newer construction that had been foreclosed on.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 PM

269 posts, read 865,105 times
Our condo was move in condition with the fridge, washer, dryer, dishwasher and microwave included. We had a home inspection and all they found was a leaky kitchen faucet. All we did was have a company come in and give it the spit shine clean and had the carpets cleaned.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM

367 posts, read 684,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
About those missing garage door opener remotes ... you can do a search on google by the name of the opener, like Liftmaster, and narrow it down to the right one. Ours ran around $40.
We got ours at Home Depot, no worries, for about $30.

Quote:
If the community is gated the HOA management company can guide you to an opener to the gate by model number etc. Our 2007 Camry actually has buttons for openers up near the rearview mirror. But we had to find a remote to match the gate before the car could be programmed.
Yeah... our HOA just changed management companies and it's been a bear just to get our gate remote working (it took a couple of weeks).

Quote:
The key is whether the remote has the right number of buttons inside. After those were set properly we were able to go through a sequence of aim, hold, release etc to have the garage and gate open via the car's unit. So, you have to have the remotes to program everything, then you store them away like you don't need em, lol.
Heh, I have an 89 Buick LeSabre and a 2000 Hyundai Stationwagon (I know, ya'll are jealous). I need the remotes.

Quote:
After all of this conversation, I am almost embarassed to report that the bank owned we bought was in move in condition with all appliances including washer and dryer. We didn't even have to paint. As you may have seen before, we did have the water heater go out, but that was due to age or just non-use. I hope you all have the same luck we did.

Mine had all applicances, including washer & dryer too and built-in microwave too. I don't *have* to paint in most of it (just one area) but I plan to because I am not as inordinately fond of shades of brown that the previous owner apparently was.

One big thing I noticed is the condition of the carpets- they are usually in pretty bad shape (bad stains that are hard to get out, tears, holes, etc.).

I am SO looking forward to ripping out the carpet on my first floor!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM

844 posts, read 1,774,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
the condition of the carpets
I notice this a lot, too~

Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM

11,606 posts, read 22,766,312 times
carpet? what's carpet? my house had 3 floors of travertine tile including the stairs... a bit of overkill, wouldn't you say?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
carpet? what's carpet? my house had 3 floors of travertine tile including the stairs... a bit of overkill, wouldn't you say?
See, I'd find that attractive, although on the stairs... hmm, have to see it. No runner?

I haven't had to live with carpet in years, and I hate it - to me it's a moisture and dirt magnet.

I've had hardwood, laminates, tile (ceramic and vinyl), and vinyl sheeting - so much easier to clean, and I love being able to easily change colors/decor by changing out a rug (or with the vinyl, it's cheap and easy to replace with something else).

The only positive I've noticed to carpet is that it's quieter - it absorbs a lot more sound. But I have a dog, a cat, an 8 year old, and a baby due in September - that carpet is going to get nasty, even if it's quietly... nasty.

Speaking of which - when I was looking at houses here, I was stunned at how many had carpet in the bathrooms. CARPET. In a BATHROOM. You might as well just install a mold floor. I had never seen such a thing in MO or in MS house-hunting. I know it's probably to save money, but... ugh, that's just gross, man.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 9,545,984 times
Quote:
See, I'd find that attractive, although on the stairs... hmm, have to see it. No runner?

I haven't had to live with carpet in years, and I hate it - to me it's a moisture and dirt magnet.

I've had hardwood, laminates, tile (ceramic and vinyl), and vinyl sheeting - so much easier to clean, and I love being able to easily change colors/decor by changing out a rug (or with the vinyl, it's cheap and easy to replace with something else).

The only positive I've noticed to carpet is that it's quieter - it absorbs a lot more sound. But I have a dog, a cat, an 8 year old, and a baby due in September - that carpet is going to get nasty, even if it's quietly... nasty.

Speaking of which - when I was looking at houses here, I was stunned at how many had carpet in the bathrooms. CARPET. In a BATHROOM. You might as well just install a mold floor. I had never seen such a thing in MO or in MS house-hunting. I know it's probably to save money, but... ugh, that's just gross, man.
when we moved into the first house we rented, it was such an oddity...it is obviously done to save money, because it got so disgusting, lol, we had to have the land lord replace the floor...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
when we moved into the first house we rented, it was such an oddity...it is obviously done to save money, because it got so disgusting, lol, we had to have the land lord replace the floor...
It's worse than carpet in a kitchen, which in itself is awful.

All that steam and moisture getting trapped in there... my goodness, I suspect it'd rot the floor out underneath!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,599,059 times
Quote:
It's worse than carpet in a kitchen, which in itself is awful.

All that steam and moisture getting trapped in there... my goodness, I suspect it'd rot the floor out underneath!
It is not uncommon in very well off homes. If you can afford it you just replaice the carpet every other year. I would always tile the loo room. But the rest of the master bath can be worked. Remember really fancy homes have his and her masters and they may be done quite differently.

My favorite is a lady who liked to cook who replaced the very nice traventine in the rest of her house with vinyl in the kitchen. Said the hard surfacr was bad for her legs. Not so dumb though. Had a kit in the garage to build out her kitchen if she sold and the new owner wanted it.

We have enough limestone in reserve to finish our central hall and guest bath if we ever decide too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas