U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,203 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I guess this question is mostly for the realtors (and maybe to those in the looking to buy a home among the foreclosures).

Here goes the quickest summary of me I could give you all. I'm expected to be transferred to the Las Vegas area from the east coast within the next few months. (Covers the don't come without a job already theme I've been reading here and have been monitoring, researching, a reading up on the area - as it concerns 'where to live', 'where not to live', etc - these forums are very helpful, thank you to all that take the time to post to the inquiries and share what you know (or direct us all to links that give us more information)

I've narrowed my likely areas to a handful (although I'm leaning towards a favorite 1 mile radius), regardless of where that is, from the moment I started looking at the real estate listings - I fluctuate on what I 'can' spend and what I 'want' to spend - there is one constant thing I keep running across on many of the houses for sale is that most have all the appliances (many that even look newer) expect the refrigerator. Ive easily looked at over 600 homes online in all areas from the low 100k range to the upper 300k condos to single family (truth is there are far more foreclosed, or owned by bank than I would have imagined, it is almost staggering to me. In defense of Las Vegas, Im sure if I was looking at real estate in many city areas throughout the country Id probably be just surprised. Things are truly tough all over the US right now).

So I realize this may be taken as a light-hearted inquiry too many here (which this board could probably use there is much serious going ons and discussions with the economy being as it is after all); however, it honestly puzzles me that there are so many missing refrigerators. Why? Where did they go? Why are they the one appliance missing? Assuming many of the displaced owners went to renting in the area is it just a common thing in the Las Vegas rental market that refrigerators are not supplied? Is there some unusually high demand for 2nd hand units? If it had been in one price bracket or one area of the city, I wouldnt have questioned it but it is everywhere, every neighborhood I look at.

Also, what are the other things that are common to be missing from these homes (the bank owned/foreclosed) that a home buyer should be on the look out for or be aware of. In example, I hear much talked about water softeners not included that is an appliance we just dont have commonplace here in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM

269 posts, read 862,932 times
A refrigerator is not a built in appliance...easy to take away which most people do when they move. More often than not refrigerators don't convey with the house.Much harder to move a dishwasher or gas stove. Same for REOs....people being foreclosed upon might have sold it or just trashed it.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Well I would tell you but the police have sworn us all to secrecy. I will say that it involves teenagers and small animals...but I can't go any further.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,757,028 times
You can have my old fridge. Mind you, it's been involved in a genetics experiment.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
flyingtigers....2 royals in 2 days???!!! Please tell us more!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,910,296 times
Look at Craigslist, there are tons of refrigerators, stoves, double ovens, microwaves, and dishwashers. You will even find counter tops, whole cabinets and toilets too! They try to sell as much as you can to get money to move.

We just bought a REO property and it had the stove and dishwasher only. The neighbors who happen to be good friends with the previous owners, said the bank offered them money if they kept it in good condition. I think they had a list of stuff that had to be done.

It was funny because the bathroom downstairs had a vessel sink, the neighbor said that it was there when the previous owners moved out. Where did it go? Probably someone from the bank took it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM

269 posts, read 862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
flyingtigers....2 royals in 2 days???!!! Please tell us more!
All at Red Rock all on FPDW. 4 to the royal Saturday, filled it in. Then two set of deuces in the next hour. Sunday, nothing was going right, down, down, down then bang, dealt three to the royal and the two needed popped in. Weird thing is I had another royal two weeks ago at RR. Before that it had been THREE year since my last one! The math is catching up. 3 royals in three weeks.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
The people who bought the house more than likely bought the fridge, so its kind of natural that they'll take it with them when they foreclose-move-leave, etc.

I'm also hearing that a lot of homes are having the built-in appliances taken as well. Built in dishwashers, microwaves, stove-tops..all missing in some of the foreclosed homes.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,766,767 times
Hmmm, I rent and I use my own fridge.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 AM

444 posts, read 1,429,236 times
When you are talking bank owned/foreclosure, you are talking a lot of anger for those being evicted.

They tend to take their anger towards the bank out by taking things or beating things up, like garage door openers too. The banks could care less. They sell, take the write off and you pay to fix the problems with the house. You are still getting a good deal. If you have a good inspection, you will know what needs to be fixed and whether or not the price is right.

One thing ... buy a home warranty, about $350 for 1 year. The deductible for each service call is $60. On a $1800 water heater tha's a good deal. Our water heater went out in 2 months after the house sat vacant for 9 months. DM me, if you wish. We had a good experience with a good realtor. Good Luck and Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas