U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
Add black widow and brown recluse spiders, ants, and pegeons to your list of pest.
There are no brown recluses. We do have brown recluse bites though...that is what the emergency departments call any bug bite that can't identify.

We have black widows as does most anywhere in the US.

We have pigeons and, in places, tree rats.

We have few mosquitoes...not none but close. No ticks or fleas.

We do not need to screen our swimming pools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM

458 posts, read 1,447,098 times
Roaches seem to be everywhere outside during the hot months (although this may be limited to the few condo and apartment complexes I've been to). It's easy for them to come inside your house, so you have to be careful about food being left out and spray your place if you have a problem. During the cold months we had a black widow problem. (Found a new one every couple of weeks, when we found the 8th one, we had the exterminators come and haven't seen any since.)

I've heard there are scorpions around, but we haven't seen any yet.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 AM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
Black widows hang out in the corners of your garage, towards the door. They lay in wait for whatever comes thru the door.
Brown recluse spiders aren't found here according to the bug bully.
Ants, I found a way to wipe them out and they've never been back, and I did it myself cheaply.
Pigeons are just birds that excite cats. Don't put out a bird feeder otherwise you will have tons of them pooping all over your home.
Again, the roaches all over the place when it's hot are the extra large one's, not the little german one's in your food cupboard if you live in a roach infested home.
I have never seen a scorpion here in Nevada. Only in southern California.

Last edited by PinkString; 03-18-2009 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: added more bugs :)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM

367 posts, read 681,612 times
What about wasps?

We avoided having any kind of outdoor pool in Mississippi because of wasps (they came to hang out by the water) - they are REALLY agressive and mean in MS.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,054,559 times
you'll get some yellow jackets if you have outdoor water (aka a pool) but they don't seem to be that numerous or aggressive.

there are some africanized bees around, but i have never seen them in town (there is a colony out by one of our field sites, tho so i have seen them...i think)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,606,791 times
The most prevalent and horrible pest in Vegas is the pigeons!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
there are some africanized bees around, but i have never seen them in town (there is a colony out by one of our field sites, tho so i have seen them...i think)
buzz off!

I remember some story about a colony of Africanized bees attacking tourists on The Strip a few years ago. Does anyone recall that...or am I hallucinating again?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
The most prevalent and horrible pest in Vegas is the pigeons!

Get a cat. If the powers that be won't allow it get a feral. They are easily coaxed to patrol an area if properly fed.

In no time at all the pigeons are properly behaved .

Around here there are at least three on continuous patrol and two more that help out.

Last edited by olecapt; 03-18-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM

108 posts, read 253,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Get a cat. If the powers that be won't allow it get a feral. They are easily coaxed to patrol an area if properly fed.

In no time at all the pigeons are properly behaved .

Around here there are at least three on continuous patrol and two more that help out.
That IS a great idea. Out here in WV we are THE cat house. We started putting out food for a stray/feral cat and now we have 10 or so that come around off and on. During the winter you'd see trails in the snow coming from all directions leading to the food and water. We even went so far as to get a little electric water dish so it would't freeze and we made them little kitty condos out of cardboard boxes with old blankets inside.

We have had possum, skunk, starlings and stray dogs come and eat the cat food. But, guess what, we don't have any pigeons.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 AM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
That's really nice of you JLudi, feeding the furry one's. And everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas