U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,139,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnovember2 View Post
HI, I am considering relocating to Vegas, want to excape high cost of living here in So Cal, and just need a fresh, new start. I am an RN, single mom, with one last teenager to finish raising, and it looks like the job market for RN's is fantastic. So much to choose from. But having been to Vegas a few times, am not really impressed, just seems to be a hot, smoggy city with little to no natural beauty, no mountains, streams, forests, nearby, just hot desert. Also, what are the working conditions for RN's here, is there a fair nurse-to-patient ratio, like there is in CA? People say there is so much to do, here, but how family friendly? Are there bike trails? Good high schools? I heard there was a teacher shortage, and I know that crime rates are high. But could the positives outweigh the negatives? Can anyone sell me on relocating to Vegas?
I am shocked when you say you have visited and there are "no mountains". That I don't get. What are those things that surround the valley? Foothills? I am not being sarcastic, I ask because my mom lived in CA and she called her (what I refer to)mountains, foothills. Maybe you are used to bigger mountains? I am from MI and MI is pretty flat, so those definitely qualify as mountains to me. Especially when I went to Mt. Charleston and my ears were popping out of my head on the way up and down. I guess it also depends on what you consider "nearby" too.

That said, you can find all the things you asked for in Vegas. How many years does you son have to go in HS? Do you need to stay close to CA? If not, you may consider other areas that offer the greenery and water that you desire. I am sure some areas are better in the RN needs dept, but overall, it is probably one of the better fields to be in for employability these days.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,751,872 times
There are areas of Las Vegas that are gorgeous. I've seen Laguna Beach, San Diego and the L.A. area and was not as impressed. Perhaps you have only stayed around the Strip and never seen Mt. Charleston or the areas around Hoover Dam. I personally could never imagine relocating to Ca. with it's liberalism, high taxes, overpriced housing, heavy border crossing population, gangs and an almost bankrupt government. To me it's a no brainer.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM

11,574 posts, read 22,669,562 times
smoggy? as compared to what Los Angeles? No natural beauty? Mount Charleston, Red Rock, Valley of Fire... You've already said how you feel, so why even consider vegas...

Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

444 posts, read 1,429,098 times
You may want to re-read your own post. I agree that it sounds like you have already decided that the area is not for you. It would be ashame for you to endure the challenges of a relocation just to find that you miss 'home'.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 18,811 times
It all depends where you live, but in Henderson...Anthem Hills...there are many large parks where they are extremely family orientated...many times I have driven past them even at 10 at night and theres still familys out playing, people with there dogs at the dog park, a bunch of people playing basketball, people walking or running at all times of the day. I jogg the trails that running threw the different neighborhoods and its beautiful scenery and very peaceful to me and I feel safe. I guess it all depends on what you think is beautiful. Theres nothing more beautiful than driving down from Anthem at night and seeing that view of the city! And on crime...crime is everywhere!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 16,552 times
I have relocated to las vegas and I love it. There are alot of activities for the children, I myself have a 5year old and a 13 year old. They have really great private schools, however a bit costly, but you get what you pay for. I am a Lvn finishing my Rn, there are a ton of jobs out there. Also there are no state income tax. So you can have your cake and eat it to. The houses are huge affordable and gorgeous.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

482 posts, read 1,196,906 times
I bought a condo for 26 cents on the Dollar a couple of months ago. The mountain scenery is outstanding. Summerlin has about the best sidewalk/trails that I have ever seen. Litter is under control. The store clerks and other service people are above average niceness. Job market is crappy, but will come back (interview for me, next week). It all seems doable to me. I don't think that I would plop down a thousand a month for rent, though.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM

108 posts, read 253,763 times
Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yeah, the mountains around LV aren't lush and tree laden like the Cascades or Rockies or even the Sierra Madres but they are beautiful. I live in WV right now (originally from SoCal) and although the Appalachians are lush and tree laden they're not like mountains in the west. They seem more like hills and valleys. So when I look at pictures from out in LV those stark, arid mountains in the background always look so good to me. Especially as a backdrop to palm trees and swimming pools.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 90,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
There are areas of Las Vegas that are gorgeous. I've seen Laguna Beach, San Diego and the L.A. area and was not as impressed. Perhaps you have only stayed around the Strip and never seen Mt. Charleston or the areas around Hoover Dam. I personally could never imagine relocating to Ca. with it's liberalism, high taxes, overpriced housing, heavy border crossing population, gangs and an almost bankrupt government. To me it's a no brainer.
Amen! You couldn't pay me to live in California

Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM

762 posts, read 1,346,898 times
Vegas is so beautiful. There is a thread somewhere that has a ton of pictures. If you are the type to "grow where you are planted" You will thrive anywhere right?
Part of the reason people want to move here is to get away but you will face the problems you have where ever you land.
Being a single mom and moving without a job lined up would be very irresponsible and I would never do that.
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas