U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,112,874 times

Advertisements

I worked at a prison near Indian Springs and we had at least two cases of sidewinder bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,975,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
killer bees are not that common here. You have a lot of people that think any bee they see are killer bees, after stories like this. One way to tell is if they are really aggressive, but even then, unless you get them analyzed you have no way of being for sure that they are africanized.
Au contraire. I have read that most of the bees in the Valley are now Africanized. You're correct that you can't tell them apart unless you have them analyzed, but the sad thing is that now you can't take a chance. Innocent bees are being killed because of the killer bees, but if you wait to see if they are aggressive you'll be the one in the hospital with 1,000 stings.

Recent Killer Bee News Reported In The Media

I hope somebody comes up with the answer since we need the bees and bees are becoming endangered in this country. Interesting that bees really aren't native to the U.S.

I've had lots of bee stings in my life, but none were killer bees, so it would only be from one bee, not a swarm. In fact when bees are swarming I believe it is said they won't sting as there is no hive to defend at that point.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
found it by sunset park area, isn't that area already built up.. suprised the bees were there
Bees don't care if an area is built up. They'll build a hive anywhere.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
and someone whose name is BUZZZZ would know about BEEEEEZ

Old 03-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Do you actually see rattlesnake bites?

Spent a lot of time in the desert and the local mountains and I have yet to see one.
Snakes are camouflaged so they're hard to spot, and they can hide in very small spaces. You've probably walked within inches of dozens of them and never knew they were there. Snakes know what is food and they are not aggressive, so they won't waste venom on non-food unless provoked. Plus they don't like being stepped on by large animals so they hide. That log you're resting on could be hiding a rattlesnake underneath, but he won't bother you if you don't bother him. Keep your hands to yourself and don't put your fingers where you can't see. Most snake bites are on young, drunk, males who tried to play with the snake.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
and someone whose name is BUZZZZ would know about BEEEEEZ
And buzzzzzz worms too. I've been called Buzzy Bee so often I should just go by that.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
hmmmmm.....in my younger days I was VERY VERY drunk many times.......but NEVER have I been drunk enough to play with a rattle snake [or a non rattle snake for that matter]

Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM

369 posts, read 664,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Do you actually see rattlesnake bites?

Spent a lot of time in the desert and the local mountains and I have yet to see one.
More than you would think. Not that it's an every day occurrence but several a year. And often it does involve alcohol and a camper.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
More than you would think. Not that it's an every day occurrence but several a year. And often it does involve alcohol and a camper.
Alcohol is a wonderful attractant for odd creatures. Without alcohol one would not lay a drainage ditch.

My favorite is the Brown Recluse Spider bite. I won't say there are none here...but apparently they get reported well past the possiblity of an imported brown recluse as they don't live here successfully.

Rumored to be the Emergency Room diagnosis for any insect bite not identifiable.

I have seen on one occassion what I think may have been sidewinder sign. But the dog does not miss much. And he missed them too.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM

447 posts, read 343,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Au contraire. I have read that most of the bees in the Valley are now Africanized. You're correct that you can't tell them apart unless you have them analyzed, but the sad thing is that now you can't take a chance. Innocent bees are being killed because of the killer bees, but if you wait to see if they are aggressive you'll be the one in the hospital with 1,000 stings.

Recent Killer Bee News Reported In The Media

I hope somebody comes up with the answer since we need the bees and bees are becoming endangered in this country. Interesting that bees really aren't native to the U.S.

I've had lots of bee stings in my life, but none were killer bees, so it would only be from one bee, not a swarm. In fact when bees are swarming I believe it is said they won't sting as there is no hive to defend at that point.
In the link you provided, there were only 2 reports of bee attacks in Nevada. One was in March 2009 (the one of subject in this thread), the other in July 2007.

That's over 2 years and only 2 attacks in a city of 600,000. Both were provoked - a man hitting a nest with his backhoe and a woman opening up a wall that had thousands of bees.

How do you avoid this? Inspect your property for bee nests. You see one and call the city to have it removed. You see a swarm? Go inside. People are making this way too complicated and trying to scare others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas