U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 AM

11 posts, read 112,396 times

Advertisements

Ohh wait hold on. My house has the gas water heater. My townhouse has an electric water heater. And that's where my garage bedroom conversion. And the hallway between the garage door and temp wall has nothing but an AC unit with a vent on the garage door. And on the other side a vent with an attic fan keeping that hallway cool while it's 115 outside. The attic fan has a thermostat and kicks over 100 degrees. Lots of air circulation for the AC unit to work less hard with the heat build-up. I do store a mountain bike there. That's it. I don't need any fire resistant sheetrock.
Not going to mention anything to the HOA. I already called the City and spoke to a housing inspector just 2 days ago. I asked if I can put up a temp wall in my garage and an AC unit. He said no. I said my mortgage girl who is the manager did this. I said now selling brand new DR Horton houses have the model homes with office in the garage. (Then they convert back to garage when the community is sold out.) The city inspector was actually hesitant for a few seconds. Well…Ummmm. Well sorry can’t do it. I asked why? He said I’m sorry can’t without a real reason. Too late I did it anyway 2 years ago.
If you read my last paragraph. My 2-car garage conversion into a bedroom is absolutely flawless beautiful. Walk-in closet. Carpet. The only thing I did was put up 2 walls, 2 doors and brought the room in about 5 feet each side. And last installed an AC unit. My electrician has the garage conversion into a beautiful office. He installed a ductless AC unit. Incredible beautiful.
Anyway. If I could I would pay whatever the cost to get a permit. But can’t take a chance. Too late now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon2 View Post
Ohh wait hold on. My house has the gas water heater. My townhouse has an electric water heater. And that's where my garage bedroom conversion. And the hallway between the garage door and temp wall has nothing but an AC unit with a vent on the garage door. And on the other side a vent with an attic fan keeping that hallway cool while it's 115 outside. The attic fan has a thermostat and kicks over 100 degrees. Lots of air circulation for the AC unit to work less hard with the heat build-up. I do store a mountain bike there. That's it. I don't need any fire resistant sheetrock.
Not going to mention anything to the HOA. I already called the City and spoke to a housing inspector just 2 days ago. I asked if I can put up a temp wall in my garage and an AC unit. He said no. I said my mortgage girl who is the manager did this. I said now selling brand new DR Horton houses have the model homes with office in the garage. (Then they convert back to garage when the community is sold out.) The city inspector was actually hesitant for a few seconds. WellÖUmmmm. Well sorry canít do it. I asked why? He said Iím sorry canít without a real reason. Too late I did it anyway 2 years ago.
If you read my last paragraph. My 2-car garage conversion into a bedroom is absolutely flawless beautiful. Walk-in closet. Carpet. The only thing I did was put up 2 walls, 2 doors and brought the room in about 5 feet each side. And last installed an AC unit. My electrician has the garage conversion into a beautiful office. He installed a ductless AC unit. Incredible beautiful.
Anyway. If I could I would pay whatever the cost to get a permit. But canít take a chance. Too late now.
There have got to be ten of thousands of homes in Las Vegas that did what you did. It is an unpermitted garage conversion.

If someome is sleeping in the room I would worry about the second exit but that is it. NOte in the unfortunate event there is a fire and someone dies in that room you are likely on the hook even after you sell the home if it has a safety deficiency. Other than that when you sell disclose it as unpermitted.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Not sure why anyone would die in there. Chances are I’ll die from getting hit by lightning, run over by a car and get a phone number from a Playboy Playmate the same day. Maybe if a 98 year old had a heart attack or something. Or a drug loser overdoses. I don't hang with old people. And definitely don't pall around with loser druggies. I do have 2 smoke alarms. And the entire house including garage has sprinkler system. At first I didn't know what they where. Plastic pop-outs blow and sprinklers blast away in all 3 floors including garage.

Also the second exit::: Not sure why I would need 2 exits in a garage that is a bedroom now. I only have 1 exit in the whole entire house. The townhouse has only 1-way out. All the other bedrooms have 1 way out. Maybe the builder made a mistake and all condos and townhomes need 2 exits? I think not.

Next question please.

What is boils down to it’s illegal. Which is ridiculous and anal over analyzed from paranoia and insurance purposes. Did you read what I posted up a few paragraphs?

How can it be perfectly normal and legal by code to store lawnmowers, gas powered devices, flammable paint cans, gas tanks and other nick knacks in a garage with a gas water heater only feet away . I can smoke 10 packs of cigarettes in there also. But it is illegal to have a wall in a garage. There is no way no questions asked illegal can’t get a permit.
]
I am just trying to speak in general. And I promise I am right. 7 out of 10 people who don’t have an ugly shed in the back yard, store flammable items in their garage. Gas tanks for lawnmowers, lawn mower, paint thinner, weed killer, ect.. People here in Phoenix, AZ don’t have basements. All homes are built on slabs. And there are 3 million of us here with slab homes. There are no attics either just crawl space with attic fans. An attic can reach 180 degrees here. You would pass out in 5 minutes trying to fit storage. Backyard sheds are not insulated and also can reach up to 180 degrees. So you wanna leave gasoline powered things in there vs. a garage??? Guessing you never been to Phoenix June-Sept when it’s 110 outside and bone dry.)))

Last edited by Saxon2; 09-12-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon2 View Post
Not sure why anyone would die in there. Chances are Iíll die from getting hit by lightning, run over by a car and get a phone number from a Playboy Playmate the same day. Maybe if a 98 year old had a heart attack or something. Or a drug loser overdoses. I don't hang with old people. And definitely don't pall around with loser druggies. I do have 2 smoke alarms. And the entire house including garage has sprinkler system. At first I didn't know what they where. Plastic pop-outs blow and sprinklers blast away in all 3 floors including garage.

Also the second exit::: Not sure why I would need 2 exits in a garage that is a bedroom now. I only have 1 exit in the whole entire house. The townhouse has only 1-way out. All the other bedrooms have 1 way out. Maybe the builder made a mistake and all condos and townhomes need 2 exits? I think not.

Next question please.

What is boils down to itís illegal. Which is ridiculous and anal over analyzed from paranoia and insurance purposes. Did you read what I posted up a few paragraphs?

How can it be perfectly normal and legal by code to store lawnmowers, gas powered devices, flammable paint cans, gas tanks and other nick knacks in a garage with a gas water heater only feet away . I can smoke 10 packs of cigarettes in there also. But it is illegal to have a wall in a garage. There is no way no questions asked illegal canít get a permit.
]
I am just trying to speak in general. And I promise I am right. 7 out of 10 people who donít have an ugly shed in the back yard, store flammable items in their garage. Gas tanks for lawnmowers, lawn mower, paint thinner, weed killer, ect.. People here in Phoenix, AZ donít have basements. All homes are built on slabs. And there are 3 million of us here with slab homes. There are no attics either just crawl space with attic fans. An attic can reach 180 degrees here. You would pass out in 5 minutes trying to fit storage. Backyard sheds are not insulated and also can reach up to 180 degrees. So you wanna leave gasoline powered things in there vs. a garage??? Guessing you never been to Phoenix June-Sept when itís 110 outside and bone dry.)))

YOu are protesting far too much. Guilty conscience?

Garages are built to house automobiles and other gas users. There is nothing wrong with storing gas appliances in a garage. I generally keep my gas supply in a shaded rack outside the garage I have no particular problem with storing a mower or a gas blower in the garage.

YOu will be hard pressed to find 180 degrees attics. While that is the top of the spec for an attic even in LV and Phoenix they rarely hit 150. And you can stand 150 for 20 minutes or so without a lot of problems.

I have never seen a home in recent years where every bedroom did not have two means of egress. Windows count. Even the monster loft home of 4500 SF with two bedrooms in the basement has windown in the basement with ladders to climb out of the window wells.

If you have a sprinkler system it would vastly lower the concerns. I have seen it in a couple of condos but never in town homes. I don't know if the code even requires two routes out with a sprinkler system. But you are off into a rare parameter.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 AM

You are protesting far too much. Guilty conscience?

No. Bored and always learning. I have been paying very close attention to everything you say. Always memorizing/studying other opinions in some blogs. And in real life. I'm a Real Estate investor. I'm sure you heard that famous saying. Keep your friends close. But your enemies closer. Why do think I'm here protesting/ arguing? Yes I’m blabbing away. But for very good reason. I’m pumping out information and points of views from others. And hopefully inspectors, legals, code freaks are reading my posts just waiting for a response from you all. The way you and others view/interpret my postings. I don’t want to discuss the good things. I want to hear and learn the bad and be well prepared if a prob does arise. I welcome anyone’s disagreement with my garage conversion to bedroom or anything to do with investment properties.

Yes my townhouse and an ex-girlfriend’s townhome both have sprinklers. In the whole entire house including garage. Built after 2006. Now that you posted that I will mention it to my Insurance agent. That should lower my premium. Must be code now for sprinklers.

I also posted quite a few other blogs on this website which is great. There are other wonderful websites and points of view from amateurs to the pros. I'm always slamming tons of websites in regards to garage conversions into bedroom or living spaces. How to manuals. Tips. Quotes. Find a contractor near you ECT... And in all websites I've read quote: “Check with you city for code restrictions.” As far as I know after calling 4 cities near me. All 4 said no to a garage conversion. No closets in garage. No AC units. Not even split duct. Carpet yes. I even asked if I can turn my garage into a gym with an AC unit. Got a big no! And I am not lying because I called this Friday. Why are there outlets in a garage? shouldn't that be against code?

I totally believe you when you wrote 10,000 homes have garage conversions in Vegas. And probably more than we think are out there. People are very hush hush about garage conversion to bedroom. And so am I to anyone around my neighborhood. But on websites like this, I can blab away listen and learn. A garage conversion can get $400-$500 a month. Ohh wait did I say that? I'd never do that..That's against code.

Thanx for responding to my posts.

Last edited by Saxon2; 09-13-2009 at 04:30 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 22,916 times
I am renting a single family house and one of the bedrooms does not have a window is this against the building codes and what can I do about it would like to get the owner to fix this place or allow me to break the lease as she is such a slum lord its clearly a bedroom with a closet when I looked at the house she said her husand was a sleep so I couldnt see that room so stupidly signed the lease now she wont fix anything

Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
signed lease......need i say more?????

Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Yes you could is that bedroom against the building codes I think it is emergency egress just trying to make sure before I talk to my slum lord in hopes of being able to move on easily

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryphilip View Post
Yes you could is that bedroom against the building codes I think it is emergency egress just trying to make sure before I talk to my slum lord in hopes of being able to move on easily
You are beating a dead horse. Does your lease say how many bedrooms?

How then do you know it is a bedroom? Is it a storage closet? How do you know? Check it out in the assessors web site. How many bedrooms?

I doubt you will find any of that in the building code. You lease a property pretty much as is. There are few laws in NV protecting the tenant. So unless it is in the lease...tough.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas