Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM

762 posts, read 1,560,184 times

Advertisements

I bought a house in 2007 and another one this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 187,045 times
Default It's a business decision

Anyone who keeps paying a mortgage on an upside down house is a fool and deserves poverty....which is what they'll get.

Be a man and take your losses and walk away. House prices aren't coming back.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,235,492 times
It has nothing to do with morality. It's a business decision. Add up the numbers. If they don't make sense, bye bye. You think the mortgage cos or banks worry about morality?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,612,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Culture View Post
Anyone who keeps paying a mortgage on an upside down house is a fool and deserves poverty....which is what they'll get.

I agree Randy. They teach us in Finance 101 not to throw money into a losing cause. Do what your teacher says now...........

What bothers me are those who speak up loud and say they will never walk away from their home. It must be real nice to know in your heart that you will never be layed off, never have your company close it's doors or never get sick. Wow that must be a real good feeling.

Like Olecapt said if I understood him correctly, you have a contract with the lender and one with your family. Which is more important? I have no love loss for the lenders. May they all rot in a burning hell.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,446,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What bothers me are those who speak up loud and say they will never walk away from their home. It must be real nice to know in your heart that you will never be layed off, never have your company close it's doors or never get sick. Wow that must be a real good feeling.
Funny, what I find bothersome is the people who have such little disregard for the financial obligations that they freely took on, that the concept of integrity has been largely rendered obsolete. It's those people that I can thank for an era when a written contract is worth nothing more than the paper it was written on and a person's word is worth nothing at all.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,953,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Culture View Post

Right and for 7 years, your credit will be shot! So do you think in 7yrs, its not coming back... If you have your own business, and need credit.. you'll never get it... Your credit cards will be closed, they will sell the account to some scumbug debt collector and in 15yrs you'll still be trying to get it off your reports!
Just curious, what is your credit score now and prior to this mess....

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM

I put down 20% on both homes, I value my down payment and my credit too much to walk. Plus I need somewhere to live. People walking away from bad loans is just sad. I would be able to make the payments on the homes even if I lost my income. I am not setting myself up for a lifetime of credit issues. Market decline or not.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,953,623 times
exactly skisickie... what goes around comes around.. many many years ago, i had a grievance with huntington bank and lost the lawsuit for $10k, after 7yrs, it was sold to a debt collector.. it stayed on my report for 15+ yrs.... and yes i disputed it over and over, it just shows back up everytime its sold.. finally after 20, its gone

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Believe me when I say that if you walk you will pay much, much, more than you lost. I work in finance and your credit does not magically fix itself after 7 yrs. Biggest fallacy in the universe.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,153,500 times
I doubt that signnificant impact will last five years anymore seven. These credit "dings" are pretty subjective. If there are a whole lot of foreclosures, as there are now, they will lose their sting much quicker.

I would expect one could buy a house FHA about 3 or 4 years after a foreclosure.

I would agree that credit dings hang around for ever. I still have two from CA that reappear periodically...Neither was ever a valid debt which CA and Long Beach agreed, but the frigging credit bureaus drag them up every year or so.

I would agree that there ought to be a law that a credit bureau has to make increasing payments to the person when removed items appear again...and that could happen in an Obama administration.

I would also think it should be impossible for a government to place a lien without court action and a way to remove, not satisfy, the lien. What happens in the present system is they mark the lien satisified but don't remove it. Then the bureaus pick up the lien but not the satisfaction...or even pick up both implying that the lien was at one point relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas