U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,111,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikdreamer View Post
Las Vegas is doomed to fail. The strip is disgusting, a street of huge monuments to the egos and greed of multi millionaires! The problem here is that no one thinks, everyone is in it for the short term and the quick buck. A city can't function without a diversified economy and without regulated growth. This whole state is as doomed as the wild west ideology that guides it!
Wow.

MomMom, if you happen to be reading this, you were right. There just might be people who post in these threads that don't want to see happy Vegas locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Wow.

MomMom, if you happen to be reading this, you were right. There just might be people who post in these threads that don't want to see happy Vegas locals.
At least he/she didn't argue with anyone with an opposite point of view.

Got to always feel sorry for these types, they are quite unhappy and probably are so from their own making.

Whoever they are, I wish them well and much peace

Anyhoo, we might be going through this same City Center bankruptcy thing again next month, Tony....

http://www.lvrj.com/business/42178442.html

Last edited by MomMom; 03-31-2009 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
The "experts" in that article reiterated the same positive and negative points that we all made in this thread...just a little more gentler. Altho'...these guys were pretty blunt...

"Stephen Miller, an economics professor at University of Nevada, Las Vegas, said the fallout of a CityCenter bankruptcy could be devastating. He said if the estimated 8,500 construction workers there were laid off, it would represent an increase in local unemployment of 0.6 percentage points. Another UNLV economics professor, Alan Schlottmann, predicted Friday that Southern Nevada's 10.1 percent jobless rate could go even higher, by a full percentage point, if the project shut down."

Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
Construction jobs were the hardest hit as far as unemployment in Las Vegas goes. Most of the unemployed are construction workers. CC going bankrupt, and stopping construction, would be a blow to all those that moved here to specifically work on that project, plus all the revenue the sub-contractors would lose. Bad news for a lot of people.

Apparently, Dubai World wants more control:

But gaming industry analysts and other observers say the real purpose of the lawsuit is not to break the partnership. Rather, they say Dubai World apparently wants to continue working with MGM Mirage, CityCenter’s managing partner — with one major change. Dubai World wants either greater control over the troubled $8.7 billion project or a larger stake for the $4.3 billion it has invested.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...want-more-say/

Last edited by MomMom; 03-31-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,757,028 times
I wonder how long it'll take for this latest no0b to burn out. Any bets, ladies and gentlemen?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,266 times
Did anyone else notice Kaotikdreamer has a reputation all of 18? Why do posters get on here, place of origin unknown, and get into such a bashing spree? I love Las Vegas so much, when someone does that, it's almost like a personal kick in the gut to me.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,757,028 times
They've got nothing better to do under that they're living at. Who knows, maybe they're pissed off from being licked by that cow all of the time. Those of you are/were on the RJ will get the joke.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM

241 posts, read 699,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Did anyone else notice Kaotikdreamer has a reputation all of 18? Why do posters get on here, place of origin unknown, and get into such a bashing spree? I love Las Vegas so much, when someone does that, it's almost like a personal kick in the gut to me.
I live in ca and I love vegas, will be coming there on Mother's Day, May 10. I have already begain marking X's on my calendar

Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,266 times
Good for you. I hope you have a wonderful time and what a great Mother's Day gift. It should be a gorgeous time of year weatherwise by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or