Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 PM

654 posts, read 1,317,623 times

Advertisements

A little background: I've been out of town for a few weeks, having to make a driving trip back to Chicago to take care of some business. While there, someone hit me from behind while driving in the city. He admitted fault, the police wrote up a report & I went to the hospital for tests & spent the night at the hospital (at my buddies' insistence, since I had a hard time parking the car between the lines at the police station).

The good news was that they didn't find anything broken/no sheared blood vessels. Basically, classic whiplash (I think the diagnosis was 'neck strain' & 'muscle spasms'). So, I'm looking for a decent doctor to see here for followup care - my upper back/neck are generally sore, requiring regular high doses of ibuprofen (wrote me a script for valium, but I'd rather not take it). It's generally difficult to lift my left arm above the shoulder. With this in mind, anyone have a good doctor to recommend? I'm in the N/NE (North Las Vegas), North of Craig & West of I-15.

One other thing - being self-employed, I don't have normal health insurance. Ultimately, my bills SHOULD be paid by the other person's insurance, but in the meantime I may have to pay the out-of-pocket expenses - something to factor into all of this. His insurance company has already tried to pay me off & close out future medical bills; I'm interested in having my medical bills covered, not trying to make a buck.

If anyone's been through this before, I'd welcome whatever advice you can provide. Thanks for any & all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,638,443 times
Financially, your best bet would be with UMC Rancho (near Rancho & Craig) Primary Care. If you need anything more specialized, they can refer you to another doctor/clinic.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM

444 posts, read 1,608,294 times
I'm sure you will get a good referral from someone here as far as the doctor goes. And you may not want to hear it, but ...

You better get your butt to a good attorney. Its not a matter of trying to get rich via an insurance company. Its more a matter of way way into the future medical bills. Better to be safe than sorry. I have 3 family members who for one reason or another didn't want to bother with the insurance company, friend of family at fault, boyfriend at fault, etc. Everyone of them now 5 to 10 years later have multiple problems which 'their' current insurance companies don't want to pay to have treated.

Don't mess with this.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,763,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Financially, your best bet would be with UMC Rancho (near Rancho & Craig) Primary Care. If you need anything more specialized, they can refer you to another doctor/clinic.
Agree

Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
I'm sure you will get a good referral from someone here as far as the doctor goes. And you may not want to hear it, but ...

You better get your butt to a good attorney. Its not a matter of trying to get rich via an insurance company. Its more a matter of way way into the future medical bills. Better to be safe than sorry. I have 3 family members who for one reason or another didn't want to bother with the insurance company, friend of family at fault, boyfriend at fault, etc. Everyone of them now 5 to 10 years later have multiple problems which 'their' current insurance companies don't want to pay to have treated.

Don't mess with this.
Second that.

I had a serious rear ender in the mid 70s. Saw it coming and dove for the shoulder on the San Diego free way at the Harbor. Got hit by a guy who was doing pretty close to 50 miles an hour while I had not gotten to fifteen. Pealed the doors off the car and ended up crossways across the SD fwy. The interesting thing was my foot had the throttle against the fire wall, the engine was red lined and my foot did not work. turned off the key and then had to lift my foot with my hands to get it off the throttle. Things started working again after five minutes and I thought it was all OK. Man years later though I still have neck pain and can't move my neck in certain directions without difficulty. Hurts me to clear to the rear for a lane change.

I did not pursue it other than to get the new car and light medical bills paid.

For an MD qualified to deal with all that I recommend Luis Diaz, who works out of the Summerlin Hospital Building.

Don't know that he will see you directly though. You may need a referring MD to get to him.

Hunt around for a reputale lawyer. He will get you to a suitable MD. Make it clear you want only to get fullly repaired and are not out to make a killing. You may change your mind if the symptoms linger...but start out that way.

Without a port into the medical system the lawyer is your best bet. Be suspicious of lots of treatments and stuff that don't help you. Tell them no. But push to get seen by a knowledgable physician who can tell you how bad you are actually hurt and the odds of it going away.

And sorry for your misfortune. But pursue it. Until you feel comfortable with the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas