Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

If you are in really good shape, and are used to high altitude mountain hiking, then you might want to do Charleston Peak. It is gruelling. Most people take the south loop trail which starts in the parking lot above the Lodge. There are something like 120 or more switchbacks to get to the meadow which is at approx. 10,000 feet. From there you have approx. another four miles to reach the peak. Most of that is along a ridge that gradually climbs higher, then you find yourself above treeline and on a talus slope which can be tricky to navigate. You'll pass this crash site:
Silent Heroes of the Cold War National Memorial - Home Page

You'll be drawn to investigate the crash, but be careful you don't get too close to the slippery down-slope. It's a long way down to fall.

The last several hundred feet in elevation are very steep to reach the peak. Actually, that part might be over 1,000 feet elevation gain, I'd have to look it up. I just know it's not easy. The peak is 11,982 feet. The wind will practically knock you off your feet on top, and in May there will be lots of snow, so have a warm coat with you. In fact there might be too much snow to even get as far as the crash, let alone the top. If you do make the peak, because of the wind, about all you'll want to do is sign the register, take a quick look around, and head back down. You will need to be at the trail head at daybreak in order to make it up and back before dark. Get caught in the dark and you will lose the trail. Lose the trail up there and you may never be found again. It is a great hike, but you need to be cautious.

The south loop trail is 9 miles each way = 18 R/T. It takes an average hiker about 1 hour to hike 1 mile up that mountain. My best time to the meadow at 10,000 feet was 4 hrs 45 min. That time my wife and I got there almost an hour before two college athletes. We usually would spend the night in the meadow under a huge bristlecone pine (oldest living thing on the planet), and in the morning, leave our heavy gear at our campsite, and hike to the peak. If you are in good enough shape to hike straight to the top, which most people aren't. Plan on about 8 or 9 hours to reach the top. Hiking will become easier on the ridge so you'll make up a little time, but you'll slow to about 1½ hours per mile on the last push up to the peak. Then plan on at least 5 hours to return to the parking lot. Longer if hiking downhill hurts your knees*. Make sure you know when dark is, so you can start back on time. Make sure you have at least a gallon of water. Two if you can carry it, but one gal. is 8 lbs, and 16 lbs. will feel like 50 on the way up. There is NO WATER up there on the mountain.

*Hiking tip: If hiking downhill hurts your knees, it's because your toes are being squished into the front of your boots. Either wear boots that hold your heel in place and have a lot of toe room, or carry hiking sandals to change into for the trip down the hill. Or, cut the front out of some running shoes. That is unless you want to hike backwards for 5 or 6 miles down the mountain.

Afterwards, you'll hurt in places you didn't even know you had places. It won't make you feel any better to know that the Las Vegas Track Club runs that trail up and back in about 4 hours. They used to have a member who was in her 60s and she could make it although she usually returned last with bloody legs.

Have a nice hike. It's worth all the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM

21 posts, read 61,119 times
Do you think middle/end of may is a good time? Don't want to go if there is still snow on the ground.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby913 View Post
Do you think middle/end of may is a good time? Don't want to go if there is still snow on the ground.
my guess is there will still be snow at elevation, esp on north facing slopes and under trees. but it shouldn't be too bad and exposed trails should be fine.

but if you are worried about it, there are plenty of other mtn hikes in the area that will give you a good feel of the spring mts and let you get to the bristle cones.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 61,119 times
Well if there is probably going to be snow a top charleston what other summit should we attempt with no snow end of may but awesome views and great for picture taking?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
For a short hike, you can do Sunrise Mountain to the east. Eastern or Pecos to Lake Mead, then turn left, go east to the top of the ridge and you'll see a "road" for small vehicles to take you to the top. At the top you'll get a great view of the valley, turn around, and there's a view of Lake Mead in the distance. I believe Sunrise is only 3800 feet high, but it's an easy hike. I've done it 4 times now. For something more challenging, You can climb the face of it, I've done it, no problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
i'd plan on a hike and see what it is like when you get here...lotsa smaller options if Charleston looks bad. give it a few weeks and then check on the weather here...give you time to look around at things you find interesting.

the bristle cones are really cool...even if you just did the short hike up to raintree or mummy springs i am sure you would find it worth while. pbby be too hot to do a frenchman hike....but the view from the top of that is remarkable

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby913 View Post
There will be snow, it just depends on how much is on the south loop trail. You might not make it to the peak, but as tijlover said, the hike to the meadow is worth it. I think you could make it that far. A word of advice though, don't try to hike up there in athletic shoes, wear hiking boots. You might also want to do a hike in Red Rock Canyon such as Turtlehead Peak. I haven't done it in years, and the trail wasn't clearly defined back then, but it has great views of the Las Vegas Valley, and is a challenging hike.

LocalHikes - Turtlehead Peak (Red Rock Canyon NCA)

There are lots of good hikes in Red Rock and it should still be cool enough to do them, especially early in the morning. Google has a lot of info, and there are books you can get at local bookstores or the visitors center at the park entrance.
red rock hikes - Google Search

Remember, in the desert, water, water, water. Don't weigh yourself down carrying a lot of food, but you need lots of water, especially at high elevations which tend to dehydrate you, and that can give you altitude sickness. If you aren't used to the altitude, and don't know if you are prone to altitude sickness, I recommend taking along an antihistamine. Motion sickness pills like Dramamine, along with hyper hydrating (drinking a whole bunch of water), help prevent altitude sickness, but are expensive and are nothing but antihistamines marketed and priced for motion sickness. Ginger is also an inexpensive and tasty motion/altitude sickness remedy. If you are a male, and take antihistimines, be prepared to make lots of yellow writings in the snow, as they affect the prostate. But it's better than altitude sickness, believe me. And remember, the temps can drop 30 degrees or more at high elevations. That will only be a problem when you stop walking, but you may need something to pull on temporarily. At least on Mt. Charleston. Possibly not at Red Rock Cyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas