Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 191,143 times

Advertisements

We're moving to LV in the next 2-4 weeks. After years of hoping, we'll finally have the money to do it. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to obtaining a good rental house.

We have a dog and a cat, not too much of a problem from what I've been able to find. I had a sub-prime mortgage on my last house and the interest went throught the roof and was foreclosed on last eyar before all of this help was available. I filed bankruptcy and cleared out all of my debt. Since my credti score has repaired a little but not over 600 yet.

My question is this: We can do first, last, security, pet, all of those fees easily. We will not have jobs when we arrive. My husband is a poker player and wants to pursue full-time when we get there. I will be going to school for either massage or esthetics. Do you think we will have a problem securing a rental?

We could pre-pay the entire year but how do you trust the landlord like this? And advice from someone in a similar situation? Or landlords who have worked with this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,419 times
Look for rentals with Management companies, that have been in town for awhile. You will not have a problem since you have the money to back you up. If something did happen with the home (foreclosure), they would transfer you to another home without any problems.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM

88 posts, read 203,453 times
Yeah, but I think with the no job situation for either of you .... that is going to pose a huge problem .... and with the credit score being under 650 .... Join the rest of us.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
as crazy as this sounds, what i would do as a landlord is have you pay the security, 1st month, pet, etc.. and then a couple extra months, starting at the backend. in other words, you pay for month 11 and 12.. of course, you still pay normally month 2,3,etc

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,572 times
I was in a similar situation a while back and I offered a six-month pre-pay, but I demanded a reduction in rent from 625 to 600. So I paid them about 4300 total move in. 1.5 months security deposit. I did show them a significant amount of money in the bank, too, but was new to the area and jobless. My credit was probably about 600. I stayed for a year in a half, and then I got a rent controlled unit (friend got married) for 225 including utilities.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,419 times
She says that they can pay for the entire year plus the deposits. Most leases are for one year, so what landlord in their right mind would turn that down. You have everything paid already, not having to worry about getting the rent on time.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM

255 posts, read 556,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaswedding View Post
We're moving to LV in the next 2-4 weeks. After years of hoping, we'll finally have the money to do it. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to obtaining a good rental house.

We have a dog and a cat, not too much of a problem from what I've been able to find. I had a sub-prime mortgage on my last house and the interest went throught the roof and was foreclosed on last eyar before all of this help was available. I filed bankruptcy and cleared out all of my debt. Since my credti score has repaired a little but not over 600 yet.

My question is this: We can do first, last, security, pet, all of those fees easily. We will not have jobs when we arrive. My husband is a poker player and wants to pursue full-time when we get there. I will be going to school for either massage or esthetics. Do you think we will have a problem securing a rental?

We could pre-pay the entire year but how do you trust the landlord like this? And advice from someone in a similar situation? Or landlords who have worked with this?

Thanks.
Sent you a DM.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
As a renter, I wouldn't be pre-paying a year in advance in this environment and definitely not if it went directly to the homeowner and didn't go through some type of property manager. I can just imagine the landlord gets 12 months rent and then quits paying the mortgage and the renter is SOL when it forecloses.

I guess you're between a rock and a hard place with bad credit and no jobs, but I imagine someone would rent to you with a couple month pre-payment. I can't see where a year would be necessary.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,903 times
1. For sure a property management company will find a solution for you.

2. I bet someone on this forum will contact you with a good offer.

You are taking the right steps and approaching it positively. Welcome and Good Luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaswedding View Post

Thanks.
Be very careful moving to Vegas without a job, and don't give the landlord a years rent if the landlord should go into foreclosure you are out all the money. Due to the high foreclosure rates in Vegas there is a high incidence of renters being evicted. Renter only have 5 days to leave after being served. Renter don't have rights here like other states. There are allot of homeless folks in Vegas that had nice jobs and nice homes and lost every thing. If I were you I would find a job first right now the jobless rate is at 10.4% and the is the documeted unemployed that doesn't count the ones whose benifits ran out. Analysts say it's more like 20% unemployment.

Vegas is a great place to live if you have money but not so good if you don't. Good Luck your going to need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas