Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM

152 posts, read 638,837 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the homeschooling climate is like in Nevada, specifically Vegas.

Is it homeschooling friendly?

Are there support groups and groups of families who homeschool and do events and such together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Default Nevada Homeschooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
I was wondering what the homeschooling climate is like in Nevada, specifically Vegas.

Is it homeschooling friendly?

Are there support groups and groups of families who homeschool and do events and such together?
Nevada & Vegas are VERY homeschool friendly! In 2007 they implemented a new bill that made it very easy to start homeschooling and also made it where public schools were told to allow homeschooled children to take part in some classes, extra-curricular activities and things like that. I came from CA, which wasn't too horrible (despite the somewhat recent problems that have occured there), but compared to NV they are very strict.

In Las Vegas there are a ton of support groups both large and small that have all sorts of gatherings going on. Also there are a lot of local places, like a skating rink, that hold "City Wide Homeschool Days" where everyone in the city who homeschools gets a special discount to get into the rink. So there is a lot to do here for homeschoolers, lots of groups that will meet just about anyone's personality or need, and lots of stuff to do here too that is fun and educational.

I"m the NV state rep for Time4Learning.net so if you have any questions you can take a look at the forums there or go to my personal blog Best Homeschool Place. Or contact me through this site too.

Christine

Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Can I butt in and ask if there are many secular homeschooling support groups/associations? (in my neck of the woods there are not). [To explain, and not to start a debate, I prefer a secular approach where I am not going to run into people who think that there is something wrong with my family because we are Catholic. I'd rather keep religion out of it because I have run into situations where I have been made uncomfortable because of my religion, and do not want my kids to experience that.]

We may be moving to Vegas and we plan to public school but I have two kids with IEPs and homeschooling is our fall back plan if I cannot get their needs met. I have four kids: one probably would go to public school regardless (unless the school were unsafe or really horrible) and the other one is preschool aged. Are there people who homeschool there who are receptive to parents doing this kind of thing (again, where I live, the reasons people homeschool usually lead them to homeschool all of their children).

Thanks.

Last edited by lisdol; 05-18-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: