Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times

Advertisements

He's not lying. I have a friend who makes more P/T as a bartender two or three nights a week then he makes F/T at his job with the state. I had a buddy who opened Caesars Palace as a craps dealer. Even back then he averaged well over $300 a night in tips. He worked there until he retired, and the guy is a genius with a college degree. He worked with Van Allen of the Van Allen Belt fame while in college. I know two very intelligent ladies who were making over $250 a night as P/T cigarette girls. I've known of guys who paid over $100,000 to get the job of maitre 'd at a showroom (back when we still had those). Same for valet parking concessions. It's what we do here in Las Vegas. It's a resort. It attracts almost 40 million people a year from all over the world, and they come to spend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,322,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
He's not lying. I have a friend who makes more P/T as a bartender two or three nights a week then he makes F/T at his job with the state. I had a buddy who opened Caesars Palace as a craps dealer. Even back then he averaged well over $300 a night in tips. He worked there until he retired, and the guy is a genius with a college degree. He worked with Van Allen of the Van Allen Belt fame while in college. I know two very intelligent ladies who were making over $250 a night as P/T cigarette girls. I've known of guys who paid over $100,000 to get the job of maitre 'd at a showroom (back when we still had those). Same for valet parking concessions. It's what we do here in Las Vegas. It's a resort. It attracts almost 40 million people a year from all over the world, and they come to spend money.
While these things were once true, aren't these jobs becoming less lucrative (and more competitive) since tourism in LV has weakened?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,183,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
While these things were once true, aren't these jobs becoming less lucrative (and more competitive) since tourism in LV has weakened?
It was once true. I have known quite a few bartenders on the strip who were making over $100,000 a year. Some have quit, and the others are hovering around $30,000-$40,000 a year. Still, it is way more then I make, but a lot less than before the meltdown. If jobs like this still exist, can someone please tell me how to get one, I would surely appreciate it.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:

Well yes but no...

The guy who made a hundred now makes 85.

The young lady I know who used to pull in 60 grand as a cocktail server at Caesars now makes 30 on irregular shifts. However her husband who has good seniority at a neighbrohood pub is still making 80% of what he did before the trouble.

So it shifts some. Favors the very senior people in whatever field and everybody shares some pain.

But no it has not goe all to hell.

About 10 or 15% on balance.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well yes but no...

The guy who made a hundred now makes 85.

The young lady I know who used to pull in 60 grand as a cocktail server at Caesars now makes 30 on irregular shifts. However her husband who has good seniority at a neighbrohood pub is still making 80% of what he did before the trouble.

So it shifts some. Favors the very senior people in whatever field and everybody shares some pain.

But no it has not goe all to hell.

About 10 or 15% on balance.

Well, that makes sense. 10-15% is not a bad drop at all. The people from the centrifuge were telling me they lost over half their income.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM

366 posts, read 1,211,181 times
Most of my regulars are in the service industry. I work at a local bar on weekend graves so I get mostly bartenders..servers..strippers..cocktails..taxi..l imo drivers....The locals out here KNOW how to tip. For most of them that walk through the door they are throwing a $20 bill on the bar for a tip. 40 people walk through the door I have a nice night. On top of that we have video poker machines where the locals usually tip out 10% of their winngs. Last sunday I had a guy hit for 16,000 and push a $1300 tip across the bar. Now I know there are extreem cases but if you are in a popular bar with good people and good food you are going to make an easy 100K a year pouring bud lights. And if you are an attractive female you will make much more.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
...now that's the Vegas I remember!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 AM

23 posts, read 108,290 times
Quote:
What kind of work are you looking for? .

Office work. Or whatever comes down the line. First stop is Job Connect when I get there, also been talking to some friends back there as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 AM

23 posts, read 108,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to contact me if you need any advice.
Thanks. Mind if I ask what you do there?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfarang View Post
Thanks. Mind if I ask what you do there?

Security guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas