Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 AM

10 posts, read 16,263 times

Advertisements

Basically..i've never lived alone. Barely out of parents home.
Don't know crap about bills/expenses and etc.
Anyway, i was offered a full time job in Las Vegas. (i live in colorado and have had a hard time finding a good job here)
Looks like it will be starting out at $9.00/hr.
Is it possible to live in a decent area in Vegas at that wage?
I'm guessing after taxes, assuming i get max hours..about $1,217/month.

To be as specific as i can..
I dont have a car, or much money saved up.
I dont really know how much anything will cost, like food, air conditioning, and whatever else. (plus, i need high speed internet for my work)
Not sure on the exact address of the job office, but its at smoke ranch/tenaya.(northwest las vegas i think)
I assume i'd have to get an apartment close enough to walk, or something.

I really dont know what to do. I want to do it, but money seems to be the only obstacle + not knowing what i am getting into.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Seriously I do not think you can survive "anywhere, on your own with that limited amount of monthly money. I would strongly suggest you stay with your parents and go back to school until you have the background that gives you a chance to earn enough money to decently support yourself. The next step would be to leave the roost and go into sharing a place with some friends. Your $1200 a month would be gobbled up before you made your car payment, your car insurance, paid your rent, paid your utilities, bought groceries or put gas in the car. Forget having any kind of social life, buying clothes, hair care or medical expenses. You also need a few years of learning how to make good choices with your income and your life too before you venture out into the big world alone. If you spend a few years acquiring these things, you have a decent chance the rest of your life will be okay.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I live in Las Vegas and work full time making $9.50 an hour, and I can tell you that you can forget about getting your own apartment. It is way too expensive here. To get a decent apartment it will run you at least $600 a month. When you add electricity, cable, internet, water, trash and everything else you will be sitting at $900 or so. I would suggest checking out this link for roomates....

las vegas rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

This is what I do. I share a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 other guys. I pay $450 flat which includes everything even digital cable and internet.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Seriously I do not think you can survive "anywhere, on your own with that limited amount of monthly money. I would strongly suggest you stay with your parents and go back to school until you have the background that gives you a chance to earn enough money to decently support yourself. The next step would be to leave the roost and go into sharing a place with some friends. Your $1200 a month would be gobbled up before you made your car payment, your car insurance, paid your rent, paid your utilities, bought groceries or put gas in the car. Forget having any kind of social life, buying clothes, hair care or medical expenses. You also need a few years of learning how to make good choices with your income and your life too before you venture out into the big world alone. If you spend a few years acquiring these things, you have a decent chance the rest of your life will be okay.

This really isn't true. He can move here on that amount of income, he just can not get his own pad. I have been making $9.50 an hour since I moved here over 3 years ago. I even have a car with insurance. I am very frugal so I even am usually able to put away $300-$400 a month after my expenses.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Yes, it is totally true Las Vegas drunk. You are missing the entire point. You are existing for the moment. Where are you headed? Most people want more out of life than the hope someday they will work up to more than $10.50 an hour and have more than a bed in a bedroom. I'm trying to give someone sound advise that will help them get a life.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Problem is, i havent been able to find a job here since i don't have college or much experience.
The job im being offered, is like a one time thing. While it's starting pay is low, it has tons of room for movement and is in the field that i want to be in. (basically website marketing/bookkeeping/random stuff) Which normally, i believe gets a ton more pay. But atm, since they are young, small and know me, they are willing to train me and forget about not having their normal experience/knowledge requirements.
Quite aware it's not the smartest move, but that's why im getting info. Seems silly to waste a good opportunity if i could make it work.
Hate the idea of having to trust sharing/roommates.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM

932 posts, read 2,346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Hate the idea of having to trust sharing/roommates.
That wouldn't be my first choice, either, in your situation, but it might be a reality given your circumstances. More importantly, having a rooommate or two could be the catalyst you need to start saving some money.

This can be an expensive city, depending on your tastes and interests, but you can also live here rather cheaply if you work at it. But step one, I would think, is taking a hard, realistic look at your situation and determining whether you can afford to live by yourself.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Well, the only reason i am considering it, is knowing that im not really an expensive person.
I dont smoke or drink, nor plan to. Im not very social, so i dont go out much. Just the occasional movies/bowling. As long as i have my internet for games/movies, im content.
But thats basically what this is. A look at whether i can or not. But the only real judge of it i can get, is other peoples experience.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Yes, it is totally true Las Vegas drunk. You are missing the entire point. You are existing for the moment. Where are you headed? Most people want more out of life than the hope someday they will work up to more than $10.50 an hour and have more than a bed in a bedroom. I'm trying to give someone sound advise that will help them get a life.

I look at it the opposite way. There are many people with no car, no food, no job, and no place to live, and no money in the bank. I am far above that. I just do not think this guy should be discouraged from moving here. I am stuck in a dead end job, but his employment offer is far from that. He can move up quickly unlike mine. I hope you see my point.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
I dont have a car
If the calculated risk (to your life) is acceptable, a 49cc scooter might be a transportation option . . no insurance or registration required, just a regular drivers license.
Nevada DMV
Craigslist Scooters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: