Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM

306 posts, read 433,853 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Las Vegas in January of 2013. I have a 13-year old daughter. In July of this year, my sister and her daughter (14) moved to Summerlin from Chicago. I left Chicago (violence creeping too close for comfort) and moved to Georgia (my hometown). Georgia is just not a good fit so another sister offered me her home in El Paso until December 31st to save money and secure a vehicle. I took her up on it and am now in El Paso. I've been reading the forum on Las Vegas on what would be a good affordable area to live. I am, so far, considering Summerlin and Henderson and nearby areas. My source of income is SSD, retirement pension and child support. I can afford up to 975 for an apartment but would rather pay less, if I can.

Does anyone have any advice? My daughter will still be in Middle School in January and it seems like the schools are pretty good. I like the weather, although, living there will force me to be more diligent about drinking water! I'm a pepsi addict.

If, by chance, I don't have a car by January, what areas are public trans friendly?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
Georgia is just not a good fit so another sister offered me her home in El Paso until December 31st to save money and secure a vehicle. I took her up on it and am now in El Paso.

Thanks in advance!
So Chicago, Atlanta, El Paso and soon Las Vegas. Those are some pretty big moves. What was not a good fit about Georgia? How is El Paso?

Here are some current "safe" Las Vegas neighborhood threads.

Is it possible to find a SAFE, decent apt in the $700 range?
Where is a safe place to live in Las Vegas?
Nice apartments in safe/low crime area?
Any Safe areas to live with condos/townhomes priced at 50k or less?
Reflections on "Is this place safe"
Is all of Centennial Hills safe?
Safe, short term housing
Safe 1bd Apartments Under 600?
Are these safe places to live in Henderson?
Help finding a safe, walkable neighborhood
Is this part of Las Vegas safe?
Safe areas to live
Safe areas within a few miles of strip?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
So Chicago, Atlanta, El Paso and soon Las Vegas. Those are some pretty big moves. What was not a good fit about Georgia? How is El Paso?
I grew up in Georgia and have 17 sisters and brothers. Our family is pretty fragmented. My dad died in August of 2010 and my mom passed away suddenly on August 30, 2012. Now that she is gone, there is no reason for me to stay there. I've only been in El Paso for a few days and am only here to save for a vehicle. My plan has been to move to Las Vegas but wanted to be ahead a bit financially.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
I grew up in Georgia and have 17 sisters and brothers. Our family is pretty fragmented. My dad died in August of 2010 and my mom passed away suddenly on August 30, 2012. Now that she is gone, there is no reason for me to stay there. I've only been in El Paso for a few days and am only here to save for a vehicle. My plan has been to move to Las Vegas but wanted to be ahead a bit financially.

Sorry to hear about your Mom & Dad. That hurts. My best advice, PLEASE don't move here without a car. You just can't understand how crappy your life can be here without one. It's way too hot in the summer to be standing at a bus stop, and our local drunk drivers seem to have become adept at hitting people waiting at bus stops.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Quote:
Just wondering why not settle in the El Paso Area? Or would you rather be close to your sister that is here in Las Vegas? You really need to find a good car with A/C before you attempt you move here because it is really difficult to get around without a car. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it would be a lot easier on you. Car insurance and registration would be your upfront costs. There are some nice apt/condos in the NW/SW areas of town close to summerlin for about your price range (900-1000) per month or maybe even a small house.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,578 times
Since your single and have a child Vegas may not be a good idea to move too.

Two reports find Las Vegas to be worst city in the nation for education

Despite some gains in student achievement, Las Vegas has been named the worst city in the nation for education, according to two rankings released this week.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post

Despite some gains in student achievement, Las Vegas has been named the worst city in the nation for education, according to two rankings released this week.
The first does not deal with performance. The second is for Nevada - not Las Vegas

It is virtually impossible to find good data on how good or bad Las Vegas actually is.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sorry to hear about your Mom & Dad. That hurts. My best advice, PLEASE don't move here without a car. You just can't understand how crappy your life can be here without one. It's way too hot in the summer to be standing at a bus stop, and our local drunk drivers seem to have become adept at hitting people waiting at bus stops.
Yes, I am planning on having a vehicle when I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Just wondering why not settle in the El Paso Area? Or would you rather be close to your sister that is here in Las Vegas? You really need to find a good car with A/C before you attempt you move here because it is really difficult to get around without a car. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it would be a lot easier on you. Car insurance and registration would be your upfront costs. There are some nice apt/condos in the NW/SW areas of town close to summerlin for about your price range (900-1000) per month or maybe even a small house.
I don't like El Paso enough to settle here. I am enjoying spending time with my family, but they are military and won't be here after next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post

I have been researching the middle schools in the two areas of interest. I think I will be able to find a decent fit. Thanks for the information.

Last edited by observer53; 10-10-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

^^^ +1 ^^^ NVgal speaks the truth -- you really need a car here. It should be a reliable one - if it is an old car, consider replacing the water pump and definitely have the AC serviced prior to coming here. Have your mechanic check the radiator as well. You will be living in the desert; just as you would never drive your car without your driver's license, don't drive your car without at least a 6-pack of water bottles, even if you are just driving a few miles.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
^^^ +1 ^^^ NVgal speaks the truth -- you really need a car here. It should be a reliable one - if it is an old car, consider replacing the water pump and definitely have the AC serviced prior to coming here. Have your mechanic check the radiator as well. You will be living in the desert; just as you would never drive your car without your driver's license, don't drive your car without at least a 6-pack of water bottles, even if you are just driving a few miles.
Thank you for the advice. I am likely to purchase a relatively new vehicle but will certainly take into account what you have suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: