Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 AM

46 posts, read 87,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswendy09 View Post
Plus I have never had any trouble getting a job, It usually takes me a month, at most to find a job if I need one. On top of that I also have an AA degree and will have my BA this summer, so Im not exactly unemployable
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no what i am saying is that it is very difficult to get a job here... look around.... there are layoffs everywhere....
as for the real estate thing, there are a bajillion agents here.. multiple offers on the homes.. ask anyone,,,, its not as easy as you think..

bring a years worth of money reserves also...you will go through it...
Wendy-
I'm also considering a move, and have significant hospitality experience, over 30 years, from line level cooking/serving/bartending to managing a 60 person operation. I have a couple friends in LV and have been going there for eight years quite frequently.

I've spent the last month researching the housing and employment end of this idea. The housing has, as you would guess, quite a few options, but nothing that's just an easy and incredible deal.

The employment side, from my research, tracks exactly like airics states. Sure, you might get lucky, but i'm planning on at least 3 months of looking, then 3-12 months at a sub-par job, and hopefully/perhaps then finding something that is rewarding, and hopefully close to half what i'm making now.

I tend to take a conservative approach, but i prefer my surprises to be on the plus side...best of luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 PM

66 posts, read 125,500 times
Applied at one of MGM's properties,interviewed with the manager of the department i applied to. I asked how soon I will will hear from her she says an email will get sent out stating my app. is moving foward. I thought ALL MGM properties were like CC,that the managers call the applicant personally for job offer??? My account now reads...Job's Status: CLOSED & Application Status: Active.
The employment center was no help. Does anyone here know what the meaning of...
Job's Status : CLOSED and Application Status: Active. It been reading that for 2 weeks. Almost 3 weeks. Can an MGM offer happen with : Job's Status: Closed & Application Status : Active????

Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,891,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswendy09 View Post
Plus I have never had any trouble getting a job, It usually takes me a month, at most to find a job if I need one. On top of that I also have an AA degree and will have my BA this summer, so Im not exactly unemployable
Bachelor's Degree - 23 YEARS Management experience ............I thought EXACTLY the same thing.....
Time from getting to Vegas and starting employment at Hotel = approx 6 months 20 days...... Last real salary 2006 $90,000 2010 $35k

Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionsfan4ever View Post
Applied at one of MGM's properties,interviewed with the manager of the department i applied to. I asked how soon I will will hear from her she says an email will get sent out stating my app. is moving foward. I thought ALL MGM properties were like CC,that the managers call the applicant personally for job offer??? My account now reads...Job's Status: CLOSED & Application Status: Active.
The employment center was no help. Does anyone here know what the meaning of...
Job's Status : CLOSED and Application Status: Active. It been reading that for 2 weeks. Almost 3 weeks. Can an MGM offer happen with : Job's Status: Closed & Application Status : Active????
I think you should reapply for a different position. The way I read it now is that the job has been filled but your application will remain on file (up to 6mos)

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM

177 posts, read 356,224 times
Quote:
Bachelor's Degree - 23 YEARS Management experience ............I thought EXACTLY the same thing.....
Time from getting to Vegas and starting employment at Hotel = approx 6 months 20 days...... Last real salary 2006 $90,000 2010 $35k
It is pretty much the same thing all over the country.

I have two cousins in Southern California.

The first one graduated from UCLA last summer....it has been 8 months now....still not able to land a job.

The second one graudated from USC last summer also....and 8 months also.....still no jobs.....indeed they had a career fair on campus recently....many big corporations did show up....but the representatives from those corporations told my cousin that they showed up because the President of the college urged them to do so...in reality they didn't have any positions available....they came so that the president could save face.

Las Vegas is not unique; at least California is in the same boat also (They have 12.5% unemployment rate vs 13% in vegas).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
..indeed they had a career fair on campus recently....many big corporations did show up....but the representatives from those corporations told my cousin that they showed up because the President of the college urged them to do so...in reality they didn't have any positions available....they came so that the president could save face.
Sounds like the Las Vegas job fairs.. biggest joke in town imo... They should throw that Crescent School right out.. $2500 for bartending school and then they guarantee employment.. yeah right....

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM

317 posts, read 833,056 times
Hey Everyone,

Had two interviews with Bellagio, and just recently got to take the drug test. I wonder what's going to happen next?....So far it seems that Bellagio is more organize, and keeps you more informed than city center did.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly69 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Had two interviews with Bellagio, and just recently got to take the drug test. I wonder what's going to happen next?....So far it seems that Bellagio is more organize, and keeps you more informed than city center did.
i'm rooting for ya' butterfly.... you did study for the drug test right? what were the questions like? what is excedrin? how many advil can you take for a headache? true or false - bayer aspirin allows the regrowth of hair on bald men????

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM

317 posts, read 833,056 times
Quote:
i'm rooting for ya' butterfly.... you did study for the drug test right? what were the questions like? what is excedrin? how many advil can you take for a headache? true or false - bayer aspirin allows the regrowth of hair on bald men????

LOL...U ARE SO HILARIOUS

Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,825,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly69 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Had two interviews with Bellagio, and just recently got to take the drug test. I wonder what's going to happen next?
I would expect the next thing to happen is a job offer. Providing you passed the drug screen. I don't think a company would incur the costs of a drug test if they had no intent to hire. IMO.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas