Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbunny View Post
I live in Albuquerque NM and we do have snakes. We have found them in our bedroom. Do no move here if you are afraid of snakes. It is also very cold here in the winter.
I don't know if that's intended to keep outsiders from moving to Albuq. as I know how y'all hate us non-native New Mexicans, but I did see lots of snakes when I lived there, especially up in the far NE Heights when I would be jogging on the (then) dirt roads. I don't think I ever saw a poisonous one though. Dey's bears up in them hills too. But this is a Las Vegas thread, and if there are any snakes in Las Vegas they stay well hidden from humans. I'm sure you'd probably find some on the edges of town if you were looking for them, but rarely. The bulldozers take out their habitat. Just don't stick your fingers where you can't see. And don't forget, they are really hard to see, so you've probably passed right by dozens of them and didn't know it. They won't bite unless threatened. They won't waste venom on anything they can't eat unless they feel they are in danger.

I just read that old post by olecapt about the mountain lion at Cheyenne and Ft. Apache. When did that happen? I suppose that could happen again and I'd hate for one to follow my dogs through the doggy door. That would be exciting wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbunny View Post
I live in Albuquerque NM and we do have snakes. We have found them in our bedroom. Do no move here if you are afraid of snakes. It is also very cold here in the winter.
I lived in Albuquerque for 22 years and never saw a snake in my yard. What scared me there was centipedes and scorpions. The cat would bring in the centipedes and the scorpions scooted around the screen door.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I lived in Albuquerque for 22 years and never saw a snake in my yard. What scared me there was centipedes and scorpions. The cat would bring in the centipedes and the scorpions scooted around the screen door.
Yeah, they get twice as much rain (8 in. per yr as opposed to 4 here), and their elevation is twice as high. I don't recall any scorpions over there but the tarantulas are fun to watch when they migrate. I've seen exactly two scorpions here in Las Vegas since 1969, and I hope to keep it that way.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Tarantulas are great [cause even I can outrun em]

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
mod cut: reply removed

We have plenty of snakes in Vegas. They walk on two legs, and are called lawyers.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
yep, lots of them.. they are on the tv all the time..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM

269 posts, read 783,847 times
I've been on multiple hikes around the area and have never even seen a snake...thankfully. Snakes in Vegas will be the least of your worries. There are plenty of other things to worry about here

Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
So the lack of moisture has to do with the lack of snakes here?

I know Phoenix gets 7-8 inches a rain a year and when I lived there I had a client who had a home up north of Lincoln Drive at the base of some mountains there, and she claimed she shot 18 snakes one summer around her townhouse there. I know when I lived there, there would, occasionally, be pictures in the newspapers of a homeowner with a snake on their patio or in their garage.

So moisture must be a factor. As with termites. Termite problems are widespread around Phoenix. I had those brown streaks coming down from my living room in Phoenix 11 different times in 3 years. A neighbor of mine, down there, even lost his roof to termites. Like snakes, I've never even seen evidence of termites here. Too dry even for them.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So the lack of moisture has to do with the lack of snakes here?

I know Phoenix gets 7-8 inches a rain a year and when I lived there I had a client who had a home up north of Lincoln Drive at the base of some mountains there, and she claimed she shot 18 snakes one summer around her townhouse there. I know when I lived there, there would, occasionally, be pictures in the newspapers of a homeowner with a snake on their patio or in their garage.

So moisture must be a factor. As with termites. Termite problems are widespread around Phoenix. I had those brown streaks coming down from my living room in Phoenix 11 different times in 3 years. A neighbor of mine, down there, even lost his roof to termites. Like snakes, I've never even seen evidence of termites here. Too dry even for them.
There are termites but no fliers. Only the subterrean types. You really need wood against dirt to acquire them. I have not seen them in anything less than 20 years old.

My favorite inspector has a bottle of las vegas termites for those who don't believe it.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There are termites but no fliers. Only the subterrean types. You really need wood against dirt to acquire them. I have not seen them in anything less than 20 years old.

My favorite inspector has a bottle of las vegas termites for those who don't believe it.

Very true! I have seen problems in a home that was about 13 years old. That is the newest one I had seen.

We do get the subterranean ones here. When we get swarms of those, people who are from states with termite problems, freak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas