Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So the lack of moisture has to do with the lack of snakes here?

I know Phoenix gets 7-8 inches a rain a year and when I lived there I had a client who had a home up north of Lincoln Drive at the base of some mountains there, and she claimed she shot 18 snakes one summer around her townhouse there. I know when I lived there, there would, occasionally, be pictures in the newspapers of a homeowner with a snake on their patio or in their garage.

So moisture must be a factor. As with termites. Termite problems are widespread around Phoenix. I had those brown streaks coming down from my living room in Phoenix 11 different times in 3 years. A neighbor of mine, down there, even lost his roof to termites. Like snakes, I've never even seen evidence of termites here. Too dry even for them.
No the lack of moisture doesn't have anything to do with snakes. I was talking about centipedes. There are plenty of snakes out in the desert, especially the high desert. It's just that you might never see one. In Las Vegas you probably won't see one because there is very little snake habitat in town. There are a couple of likely places along some of the washes, and on the very edges of where the development ends, but so few you wouldn't likely ever be in any of those places. I've seen rattlesnakes in Red Rock Canyon, and up on Mt. Charleston. I nearly stepped on one at Eldorado Canyon, near Nelson, one time but he died of old age a long time ago. I've seen snakes, but not rattlers, at Lake Mead. So it's not that there are no snakes, it's just that you probably will never see one, and if you did it probably would run from you. They aren't aggressive you know. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was two California King Snakes up at Cold Creek...in the creek...doing a mating dance intertwined around each other. It was very sensual to watch. But I've lived here most of my life and spent quite a bit of time in the outdoors, and have only seen a few snakes in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
mod cut: reply removed

We have plenty of snakes in Vegas. They walk on two legs, and are called lawyers.
There's a whole lot of pit vipers known as moneygrubus legislatorous been spotted in Carson City this spring

Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM

My wife came running in yesterday and told me there was snake in our tree out front. We went out to look and found a great big lizard climbing around up there. Didn't know they did that. Probably heard I ran over his brother in the driveway (by accident) and wanted out of my way.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
several years ago I lived up on the side of sunrise mountain....I came home one day to find an orange and black banded lizard sunggled up against the south facing garage door.....[YEP ORANGE N BLACK] called UNLV cause i knew when it was but wanted confirmation since they [allegedly ] don't exist in NV..... Had me one of them ceritified Monstrous Gilas. and they are oogly.....UNLV came out....saw him and identified him but he got away ...ANYthing exists in Las Vegas no matter WHAT they say.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 29,353 times
hey haha im 18 and live in las vegas i never seen a snake here i dont think u will either unless u go to a pet shop haha.. and i never seen one in the mountains

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
several years ago I lived up on the side of sunrise mountain....I came home one day to find an orange and black banded lizard sunggled up against the south facing garage door.....[YEP ORANGE N BLACK] called UNLV cause i knew when it was but wanted confirmation since they [allegedly ] don't exist in NV..... Had me one of them ceritified Monstrous Gilas. and they are oogly.....UNLV came out....saw him and identified him but he got away ...ANYthing exists in Las Vegas no matter WHAT they say.
Who told you Gila Monsters don't exist in Nevada? You'll find lots of them at Valley of Fire, so I suppose you'd find them most anywhere in the desert, especially near the lake. Sunrise Mtn is home to lots of critters.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,909 times
Stay in the more populated areas and I doubt you will encounter any snakes. If you travel off the beaten path, Red Rock, Sunrise, Sheep Range and you might find a snake or two. In the evening, after sunset they used to stretch out on Sr #159, as the pavement would retain the heat. But I gotta admit, I was lookin, chances are your closest encounter will be the animal channel.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Who told you Gila Monsters don't exist in Nevada? You'll find lots of them at Valley of Fire, so I suppose you'd find them most anywhere in the desert, especially near the lake. Sunrise Mtn is home to lots of critters.
YOU know that and I know that but but the UNLV Snake guy SWORE it couldn't be.....

I almost stepped on one in V.O.F. one time when I stepped back to get a better camera angle....

Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
YOU know that and I know that but but the UNLV Snake guy SWORE it couldn't be.....

I almost stepped on one in V.O.F. one time when I stepped back to get a better camera angle....
Tell him to see this website: Lizards Around Las Vegas

I've seen Chuckwallas in VOF too. I still haven't IDed the one in our tree. He had one dark band under his chin. The Great Basin Collared Lizard has two dark bands separated by a white band and they encircle the neck. Maybe he'd been eating chocolate and forgot to wipe his chin.

Dey's some purdy lizards in the Grand Canyon too if you go down the trails toward the bottom.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
In all the years I'm living here I've never seen a snake, but we have friends who live up near Mt. Charleston, near Scotty Road, and they had a rattler on their front porch 2 weeks ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas