Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 32,737 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the informative posts.I plan on returning to Nevada in the near future,and with the information you passed on, I feel confident ,I will succeed obtaining a seasonal ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 32,737 times
I have returned to Nevada and obtained the seasonal ID.The lady at the DMV office said I was not eligible for a seasonal ID because I was not employed in the state of Nevada.I showed her my citation issued by the Las Vegas Police officer for not having a seasonal ID, and she handed me the application.I presented my birth certificate,DD 214,social security card and $12 and received a temporary seasonal ID and a four year one will be mailed to me.This was my second attempt.The rules differ from location to location,I suggest going to the DMV office that is most reasonable.It sounds like from some of the responses online,they do exist.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,061 times
I'm Canadian, I bought a 2nd home in LV, NV. I want to get a seasonal ID, and I also want to bring my own used 2005 PT Cruiser down and leave it there. So not only do I have to figure out what docs I need to show to get my ID, I also have to figure out how to import my car to the US, this should be fun! Any tips?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i dont think you will have any problems with the import, however, you will have to smog, title, insure, and plate the car here.... be ready to spend some money...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
why get a season ID, when you can get a permanent one?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM

33 posts, read 120,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripriprip View Post
I'm Canadian, I bought a 2nd home in LV, NV. I want to get a seasonal ID, and I also want to bring my own used 2005 PT Cruiser down and leave it there. So not only do I have to figure out what docs I need to show to get my ID, I also have to figure out how to import my car to the US, this should be fun! Any tips?

I'm in the same boat. My family just purchased a second home in Vegas and I am wondering what I need to get a car down here and if I need any special docs. I plan to spend maybe 3 or 4 months a year down here as my work is seasonal so winters I will spend in Vegas. (not working). I plan on buying a car in Vegas so I am wondering if I need any special docs to buy, insure and drive the car down here. Can I just use my Canadian drivers license/passport and still buy and insure a vehicle? Any one know? Can a Canadian even get a ID card?

ripriprip...I talked to some people about bringing one of our vehicles down to the US. There are a lot of regulations. You have to get the vehicle inspected (I think the company that does it is called RIV or something like that) and they make sure it meets US vehicle standards. Also...you have to have MPH (miles per hour) on your speedometer as a requirement. Most cars have both KM/H and MPH but my Volvo S40 did not and I decided it wasn't worth to get it all changed just to bring it down. Of course there are a lot of fees as well. I was told about $500 in fees. None of this is confirmed though, I was just told this by some people I know who import cars from US to Canada. The bright side is that Canada has much more strict standards for cars then the US so usually there isn't much reasons that a car would not meet US requirements. For example...in BC we have aircare testing and it requires much higher standards then the SMOG test in Nevada. (Again...just what I was told. You should confirm all yourself though if you decide to proceed). Just thought it might give you some insight. In the end I didn't want to bother, especially when cars in Vegas are so cheap compared to Canada as it is.

Last edited by cyber_ecco; 03-22-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,061 times
If you have a Chrysler, this is a good place to start

https://zoddda01.extra.chrysler.com/...9?OpenDocument

So far, I have contacted Chrysler Canada at 1-800-465-2001 and spoke to a customer service 'manager' who directed me to follow the instructions at the above link. Which I have.

I think to bring a car from US to Canada is a little different then bringing our own used vehicle down to US for personal use. I'll update you all as I go through this process and let you know if there are any surprises.

Last edited by ripriprip; 03-22-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripriprip View Post
If you have a Chrysler, this is a good place to start

https://zoddda01.extra.chrysler.com/...9?OpenDocument

So far, I have contacted Chrysler Canada at 1-800-465-2001 and spoke to a customer service 'manager' who directed me to follow the instructions at the above link. Which I have.

I think to bring a car from US to Canada is a little different then bringing our own used vehicle down to US for personal use. I'll update you all as I go through this process and let you know if there are any surprises.

Sounds great...thanks!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber_ecco View Post
Sounds great...thanks!
Sensibly folks you should think real hard about selling the Canadian cars in Canada and buying US cars in Las Vegas.

First off in general a SW car is in much better shape after a few years than a Northern car.

Second the hassle on an imported automobile can go on forever. It makes no difference whether Canada is tighter or looser...it is different.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sensibly folks you should think real hard about selling the Canadian cars in Canada and buying US cars in Las Vegas.

First off in general a SW car is in much better shape after a few years than a Northern car.

Second the hassle on an imported automobile can go on forever. It makes no difference whether Canada is tighter or looser...it is different.
Yeah...thats pretty much what I figured out at the end. Sometimes its just not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: