Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM

24 posts, read 99,845 times

Advertisements

So I'm gonna be bouncing around Vegas for a while, and am trying to make my hotel costs as cheap as possible-- this means I'll be downtown a lot, on Fremont St.

Is the best way to get between downtown and the strip area to take a bus? (By best, I mean basically cheapest.) Are there any free shuttles that I wasn't able to find with google searching?

Also, what's the area like downtown where I would be getting off the bus? I might be coming back to my room late at night; is it a safe enough area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl26 View Post
So I'm gonna be bouncing around Vegas for a while, and am trying to make my hotel costs as cheap as possible-- this means I'll be downtown a lot, on Fremont St.

Is the best way to get between downtown and the strip area to take a bus? (By best, I mean basically cheapest.) Are there any free shuttles that I wasn't able to find with google searching?

Also, what's the area like downtown where I would be getting off the bus? I might be coming back to my room late at night; is it a safe enough area?

Thanks!
$3 one way, $7 for a 24 hour pass. That is the cheapest way I know off.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 AM

Thanks; do you know if there's any safety concern late at night?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
There is going to be a safety concern anywhere at night. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you are going to be on the Fremont street experience, you will be ok. The farther east you go away from it, the worse and more unsafe it is. I would not want to walk around the Blue Angel Motel area late at night, or even the day for that matter.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM

17 posts, read 43,619 times
As a female tourist, I have taken the bus between the strip and downtown many times at all hours day and night by myself. You will be fine. Just be aware of who is hanging out. The police are very visible downtown. In the wee hours of the night, it is best not to venture off of Fremont Street though.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks! Good to know, I'm glad to hear it isn't like "super bad" or anything. I plan to stay entirely on Fremont St. as much as possible, but I likely will have to meander a bit to catch buses. (Fortunately, arriving late at night means I don't have to wait around for the bus to come. I can just make my way right towards Fremont.)

Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM

17 posts, read 43,619 times
And keep in mind that the bus runs 24/7 about every 15 min so it's very convenient.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 PM

So I'm looking at the bus fare information: RTC - Public Transportation - Transit Fares & Passes (http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/transit/fares_passes.cfm - broken link)

And I'm a little confused. What does "residential routes" mean? Is that just "bus routes"?

Also, does the $1.75 for "one ride" include if you have to change buses? The way they do it in Portland is you get a 2 hour ticket, so it doesn't matter if you have to use 2 or 3 different buses to get somewhere. Would a bus change cost me another $1.75?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
A bus change would cost you another 1.75, they have eliminated transfers, you can buy a one day pass though...

Residential Routes are basically any route that isn't the Deuce...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
A bus change would cost you another 1.75, they have eliminated transfers, you can buy a one day pass though...

Residential Routes are basically any route that isn't the Deuce...
Thanks!

That sucks that it's no transfers. But OTHO $4 for a day pass is a pretty good deal, and $55/month for all access is even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas