Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Sure- it'll only be 113 when the strip is 115...lol

It's at a higher elevation, but not enough to make an appreciable difference.

Don't think so Bob. it is well below the strip. McCarran is at 2300...Summerlin gets up to 3000 but I believe LLV is around 1400 or 1500. Lake Mead is at about 1150 or so.

A couple of degrees warmer than the strip..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I could go into my meteorology background and let everyone know that dry air cools at a rate of 5.5 degrees Far. for every 1000 feet. (called adiabatic lapse rate) So if it is 115 degrees on the ground it should be 109.5 1000 feet in the air. Problem is all these temps are surface so that throws things right out the window. In general, temps will be slightly cooler next to the water (acts as a modifier), but if the wind is blowing from the dry land, won't happen. In other words, many variables for temps. Vegitation, cement, texture and color of the sand, but mainly the insolation. Insolation = incoming solar radiation. How much sun is continually hitting an object/location. Lake Meades beach may have sunlight all day long where the shadows around the strip may effect readings in this area.
So there is your weather jibberish for today.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM

103 posts, read 463,318 times
I just purchased a single home in Lake Las Vegas. HOA will be around $240, but there are no community swimming pool and other amenities. I worried so much when my husband decide to purchase a home there becuase I didn't get to see the home and community. I have been living different state becuase I couldn't sell my home, and it took me exactly one year to sell.

Today was walk through day, and I am so so happy that we bought this home at LLV. I want to stay away from the strip. I do have a elementary schooler, but I will send him to a private school anyway. The community is so quite (little dead right now) but I really like that way.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I could go into my meteorology background and let everyone know that dry air cools at a rate of 5.5 degrees Far. for every 1000 feet. (called adiabatic lapse rate) So if it is 115 degrees on the ground it should be 109.5 1000 feet in the air. Problem is all these temps are surface so that throws things right out the window. In general, temps will be slightly cooler next to the water (acts as a modifier), but if the wind is blowing from the dry land, won't happen. In other words, many variables for temps. Vegitation, cement, texture and color of the sand, but mainly the insolation. Insolation = incoming solar radiation. How much sun is continually hitting an object/location. Lake Meades beach may have sunlight all day long where the shadows around the strip may effect readings in this area.
So there is your weather jibberish for today.
Cool. That people actually know that!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Default Advice from Joy

Thanks Joy. First bit of hopeful information for my search. A single family seems to be the way to go if you don't need the amenities.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I just purchased some patio furniture at an estate sale there and while there are some stunning homes and the landscaping is beautiful, I do not for the life of me, understand why anyone would pay those HOA fees, especially with no amenities. For a guarded gate? One shot and that fixes that. I don't know. I just think there are so many other places in Vegas that offer so much more for so much less. And you can still send your kid to a private school, be far from the strip and much closer to grocery stores and such.

The home was beautiful, it was not on the lake and the other homes seemed to be all haphazardly squashed together. No backyard, so I thought for sure they must have a great community center. Oh well, I got a great deal on my patio furniture, anyway.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyvegas View Post
I just purchased a single home in Lake Las Vegas. HOA will be around $240, but there are no community swimming pool and other amenities. I worried so much when my husband decide to purchase a home there becuase I didn't get to see the home and community. I have been living different state becuase I couldn't sell my home, and it took me exactly one year to sell.

Today was walk through day, and I am so so happy that we bought this home at LLV. I want to stay away from the strip. I do have a elementary schooler, but I will send him to a private school anyway. The community is so quite (little dead right now) but I really like that way.
240 for hoa for nothing??? What happens when noone is paying the hoa? Your fee will skyrocket!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 AM

21 posts, read 69,080 times
Apologizes for posting the below questions again, but only joyvegas gave some indication of what I was looking for. (I might be tempted to buy at the level of HOA joy is paying if I had some sort of visibility of the future... notwithstanding that you do not get pool etc for it.)

Anyway thought I would ask the members here again as it looks like my Realtor has given up on me!

My questions were:
Is there any parts of LLV with more reasonable HOA fees or are all through the roof,
Regarding the future, can we see any hope in more reasonable HOAs (I know that is a bit of crystal ball gazing), or is it a lost cause for those like myself, who could afford the purchase cost of a condo or townhome there, but could not swallow current (or higher) HOA costs.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
Amolon, if you're asking do other areas of LV have HOA fees less than $240 a month, then the answer is, "of coarse they do." There are even areas without HOA's and their resulting fees. If you would like to send me a DM, I am not an active realtor now in LV but seem to be in your same position, I will be glad to share what I know. HOA fees can go either way but my experience is they generally go up along with everything else. It is best if you are looking at a HOA community that you read the rules beforehand and try to find one that has a capped esculation fee on dues.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM

21 posts, read 69,080 times
JJ thank you, I was referring specifically to Lake Las Vegas HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas