Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM

54 posts, read 128,317 times

Advertisements

Some of you have really strong opinions. Tips should be given for services outside of the norm and anyone who is paid below minimum wage:

Waitresses
Bartenders
Cab Drivers
Valet (they get tips, because your lazy ass couldn't go to the self park)
Dealers (upon winning or leaving a table with winnings)
Maids (they're cleaning your crap)
Room Service (they get tips, because your lazy ass couldn't go to the restaurant)

I think I've covered everything I tip on. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Why in the heck should maid service be tipped?

Seriously, I think this is a great question. Is it because they're getting underpaid by the hotel? If that is the problem, the hotel needs to pay them more! Is there something new that they are doing that warrants the customer leaving a tip?
For the same reason that the bellman should be tipped.

For the same reason that the valet should be tipped.

For the same reason that the individual who delivers your room service order should be tipped.

Need I go on?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 AM

202 posts, read 583,172 times
Quote:
That's the part that I struggle with. I agree that tipping is appropriate for a person who goes out of their way to do something nice.

But when a person is paid to do a specific job, I have a hard time tipping them to do it. For example, a shuttle van driver is paid by the shuttle company (who is in turned paid by me) to do the job of driving me around. Sure he loves tips - but I have a hard time seeing the added service that he has provided.

Or when the maid cleans my room. I appreciate it, but don't see how that is added service beyond what they are paid to do.

My wife works at the VA Hospital and they have valet parking for patients. The VA does not allow tipping. I like that concept!
Is the shuttle driver hauling your bags out for you? Is the maid leaving extra supplies? I know when I tip the maid I always get extra towels, they usually straighten up my makeup etc for me, place slippers at the bed etc.
I tip the valet because especially in LV where you are not paying for parking (check out parking in other cities) and they are running getting the car for you sometimes in 100+ heat making sure the A/C is on, opening doors etc. It is a service and the $2 or $3 isn't going to make or break me.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Why in the heck should maid service be tipped?

Seriously, I think this is a great question. Is it because they're getting underpaid by the hotel? If that is the problem, the hotel needs to pay them more! Is there something new that they are doing that warrants the customer leaving a tip?

No they should be tipped because they are providing a service and 9 out of 10 times going above and beyond. They work hard is throwing them a few bucks a day going to make or break you? If it is then perhaps you shouldn't be staying at hotels. Seriously these people work hard, if you don't want to tip them don't, but I feel they earn it and I like the extras they put in the room. Bath salts that are normally only given in the suites, you know little things, extra bottles of water at some hotels. It is just nice.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,661,730 times
It's interesting how most of the anti-tippers are out of town no0bs. I guess that they've never had to work a minimum wage or commission job before. Yes, some workers have bad attitudes, but not all of them. Most are honest hard working people, trying to provide for their families.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs63 View Post
Some of you have really strong opinions. Tips should be given for services outside of the norm and anyone who is paid below minimum wage:

Waitresses
Bartenders
Cab Drivers
Valet (they get tips, because your lazy ass couldn't go to the self park)
Dealers (upon winning or leaving a table with winnings)
Maids (they're cleaning your crap)
Room Service (they get tips, because your lazy ass couldn't go to the restaurant)

I think I've covered everything I tip on. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out, period.
Umm, isn't that illegal to pay employees less than the Nevada minimum wage? In some states, you can count tips toward minimum wage, but Nevada doesn't permit that.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Umm, isn't that illegal to pay employees less than the Nevada minimum wage? In some states, you can count tips toward minimum wage, but Nevada doesn't permit that.
I believe you are correct, however min wage doesn't mean a living wage. Most of us could not survive on min. wage.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM

54 posts, read 128,317 times
I didn't know about the Nevada law. In Illinois, wait staff are paid less than $4/hour and are expected to live on their tips.

Either way, my post still holds true.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,096 times
What about bank tellers? Should I tip them as well? Most get paid at or around the minimum wage.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,661,730 times
Although banking is a service industry, you don't have to tip your teller. Basically, if they schelp something, tip them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas