Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times

Advertisements

I had a large cockroach fly onto my porch the other day. It was about 1-2 inches long and definitely not something a person with an insectophobia would want to see.

I kill about two cockroaches a week trying to get into my house via my deck. Haven't had a rampant problem with them like in the coastal South, but they are definitely an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
Can't stand the roaches here in the south. They are outside, but still I always see them on my porch.

They call them "palmettos" or "water beetles", but they are just nasty huge roaches. They look like the madagascar hissing roaches but a little smaller.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
Water bugs is just the nice way of saying roaches, that is what I tell my customers. Most people associate roaches with filth, not so here. So when people explain what they have most will say water bugs, LOL.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
When we move to LV (we're waiting for the company my wife and I work for to open up positions to transfer into), we will definitely be signing up service to prevent bugs.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittergurl View Post
My question: are there Palmetto bugs or flying **** roaches or water bugs in Las Vegas? Are they a typical part of the enviornment like in Florida or other tropical or desert areas. I am looking to relocate from California. I am looking at a lot of different cities. I have a severe bug phobia specifially Palmetto bugs, flying roaches or whatever you would call them. I know it may sound weird, strange or petty but it is what it is so please don't waste your time telling me it is only a bug. I know that already. Thank you in advance for your help!!
No actual palmetto bugs. Roaches live everywhere in the world. If all life on Earth died off tomorrow the roaches would live on as the only thing alive on the planet. But the good news is that Florida has thousands of times more bugs than we have. There are so few here it almost isn't a problem. For instance, we don't have fleas in the desert, and very few ticks. Mosquitoes almost don't exist, at least not anything like you have in Florida. If you see a mosquito it is because someone is allowing stagnant water to accumulate near you, but small amounts evaporate quickly in the dry heat. With all the foreclosures, pools have turned to swamps. But the city and county both will take care of mosquitoes if reported. The growth, however, has brought with it more species. It scares me the way we panic and spray poison when we see a few insects here. We need insects even in Las Vegas. They are helpful to the environment, and if bugs can't live here, what hope is there for the humans?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
We actually do have flying roaches. Not that many though!
That's because your husband kills them all.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I haven't seen any that fly. Plenty that crawl though. I hate roaches and scream like a girl when I see one. I like using roach motels myself. They aren't the quickest way to get rid of roaches, but I like the whole concept. It gives me great satisfaction to trap roaches and have them spend their final days in frustration that they can't check out of the motel. I go to Mexican supermakets to buy them because I can't find any other stores that still sell them.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I heart BugBully!!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I heart BugBully!!
I heart you guys, too!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
I lived in South Carolina - the Palmetto state - before moving to Las Vegas, and the Palmetto bugs there are huge. I caught one once that was so big, I think I could have ridden it from one end of the house to the other.

I don't miss those bad boys one bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Bugs? Are there Palmetto Bugs aka Flying Roaches in Las Vegas-palmettobug.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas