U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM

14 posts, read 50,230 times

Advertisements

I am 23 years old and i currently live in Iowa. I am currently seperated from my husband and I have 3 small children: 5, 2 and 1. We are looking to start our lives over and try to build a family again. We travel to Las Vegas atleast 3 times a year. And its not the normal 23 year old traveling. we spend most of our time off the strip. I am not a huge fan of the strip except for at night. I am trying to get my degree in Human Services at Univ of Phoenix. I have spent the last 5 years doing college and i am still a freshmen. In iowa I have probably lived everywhere on the west side and I have either work or applied at every job in des moines. I am struggling to keep a relationship with my parents how live down the street but as a young mother they treat me more like a disappointment than anything else. I am thought about moving to vegas several times but i have fears about schools for my children, neighborhoods and just simplying going out on my own. I'm not one of those people who thinks a new zip code will change everything over night. I know that if i struggle here i would struggle there unless i make the right decisions and choices. Is Henderson a good place to start a new life?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,844,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYRAE12 View Post
I am 23 years old and i currently live in Iowa. I am currently seperated from my husband and I have 3 small children: 5, 2 and 1. We are looking to start our lives over and try to build a family again. We travel to Las Vegas atleast 3 times a year. And its not the normal 23 year old traveling. we spend most of our time off the strip. I am not a huge fan of the strip except for at night. I am trying to get my degree in Human Services at Univ of Phoenix. I have spent the last 5 years doing college and i am still a freshmen. In iowa I have probably lived everywhere on the west side and I have either work or applied at every job in des moines. I am struggling to keep a relationship with my parents how live down the street but as a young mother they treat me more like a disappointment than anything else. I am thought about moving to vegas several times but i have fears about schools for my children, neighborhoods and just simplying going out on my own. I'm not one of those people who thinks a new zip code will change everything over night. I know that if i struggle here i would struggle there unless i make the right decisions and choices. Is Henderson a good place to start a new life?
Henderson is a great place to live and raise a family. However, it is extremely hard to get a job here right now.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,087,029 times
have you considered tubal ligation?

Old 08-15-2009, 10:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,039,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYRAE12 View Post

No Henderson is not a good place to start a new life. Suck up to the parents. Eat your pride. When you get to the point that life looks really good...consider Vegas or Henderson or wherever...but not before.

At the moment you are an accident waiting to happen. Your probability of surviving in Henderson or anywhere else out of where you are is well less than 10%. And I don't care if some dude is providing a little money.

Everywhere else is worse. Stay where you are. If you can't cut it there you will get killed here.

Little kids should not have to put up with that.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:14 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,315,590 times
I hate to say it, but best to stay in Iowa. LV probably wouldn't be a good choice for you. And if you ended up having to get welfare and food stamps, which are really hard to get in this state, you would end up stuck in some cockroach infested apt going nowhere in life.
If i were you, I would stay where you are for now. Give it several more years. Or if you still want to make a new start somewhere, pick someplace like Utah. Family oriented state filled with mormons. It's also a beautiful place to live.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 AM

12 posts, read 58,507 times
I've lived 10 years in Henderson. Its a great place to live. I don't know the
standards of Iowa so don't know what to compare with. Here are a few things.

1. Nice place to live.
2. Schools are not that good.
3. You could buy a condo for about $75K.
4. It could be hard to find a job at this point of time.
5. Average Rent is about $700 at decent place.

hope this help a little bit.

Sam.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,842 times
Stay where you are, that is where your support base is. At the moment there isn't any jobs, rents are high and considering that you have 3 children ----- as a Grandfather may I say that my daughter may disappoint me at times but I consider her AND my granddaughter treasures beyond price. Now my ex son-in-law !!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
have you considered tubal ligation?

Thank you for your answers to those of you who actually helped and for the others. why even respond. you dont know me personally so i think that personal comments such as this one is really rude and immature. just back out and go to the next post.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,087,029 times
ok...maybe I was a little too harsh there. Lets stick with the facts as you've presented them: you've had 3 kids since you were 18...just 5 years ago. Your marriage is rocky. You have no college degree, despite attending an on-line (only) college for the past 5 years. Your job history is spotty, as you've worked at or applied for every job in Des Moines, IA. You struggle to keep the most supportive relationship you've probably had (your parents)...and now want to move 1500 miles away from them? Then you've logged onto a forum on the internet to ask advice on moving to Henderson, NV????

I say move wherever you want. The results will most likely be the same.

Last edited by jfkIII; 08-17-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
ok...maybe I was a little too harsh there. Lets stick with the facts as you've presented them: you've had 3 kids since you were 18...just 5 years ago. Your marriage is rocky. You have no college degree, despite attending an on-line (only) college for the past 5 years. Your job history is spotty, as you've worked at or applied for every job in Des Moines, IA. You struggle to keep the most supportive relationship you've probably had (your parents)...and now want to move 1500 miles away from them? Then you've logged onto a forum on the internet to ask advice on moving to Henderson, NV????

I say move wherever you want. The results will most likely be the same.

dont apologize thats just tacky. you said what you meant. I really hope you dont have any kids because i'd feel sorry for them. I am following the facts as I presented them. I am 23 years old and i have 3 kids. Wouldn't change that for the world. I had my first child when i was 17, excuse me for not wanting to kill him..ie abortion. That is why me and my as you refer to them, saint of parents dont get along. so thank you for praising them. My husband and I had a rocky start because we were young and didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. So instead of making our children grow up with people fight all the time we split up. i can see where that is a bad thing to do in your opinion. I want to move 1500 miles away from them so that they stop having my children call them mom and dad and they can start being regular grandparents.

But your right i will probably continue to fail in life thank you for that realization. I posted to this forum because i got the impression that it was people giving helpful insight had i know that i would get a response like the one you gave i wouldn't have wasted my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: