Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 AM

110 posts, read 235,315 times

Advertisements

I have a German Drivers License, is there anyway I can just exchange it for a Nevada license at the DMV without having to go through a written test?
I know how to drive.
Or are foreign licenses only accepted in this town when on holiday visit?

If the license was issued from another US State, no test is required. It all seems like discrimination to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 AM

141 posts, read 286,831 times
Of course not. I could not go to Germany with a California or Nevada License and just swith it over, and you know that. The license process is easy anyway. Try taking the class A driver test.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Angry Switching over

That may very well be, but don`t you think it`s DISCRIMINATION to accept a switch-over of licenses from one US State to another, not having to take a written test, but at the same time not accepting the same procedure for a foreign license - who`s driving conditions are really no different than here in Nevada?
Each US State has it`s own regulatory system within, so why isn`t this practice considered the same as for overseas licenses?
Holiday makers can drive here for up to 1 year without needing any license change, so whats the sense of this discriminating practice?

In my opinion it`s just another way in getting fees for the Cashier! And this practice stinks!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
It's no more discrimination then when I lived in Europe and had to have an international drivers license.

German traffic laws i.e. the unlimited speeds on the Autobahn are considerably differant then US laws.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It's no more discrimination then when I lived in Europe and had to have an international drivers license.

German traffic laws i.e. the unlimited speeds on the Autobahn are considerably differant then US laws.
exactly my feelings also, its not discrimination at all.. give me a break

Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
That may very well be, but don`t you think it`s DISCRIMINATION to accept a switch-over of licenses from one US State to another, not having to take a written test, but at the same time not accepting the same procedure for a foreign license - who`s driving conditions are really no different than here in Nevada?
Each US State has it`s own regulatory system within, so why isn`t this practice considered the same as for overseas licenses?
Holiday makers can drive here for up to 1 year without needing any license change, so whats the sense of this discriminating practice?

In my opinion it`s just another way in getting fees for the Cashier! And this practice stinks!
Moderator cut: Off-topic information removed

I know trying to reason with you is going to be impossible, but don't you think maybe it is due to reciprocal agreements that each state makes with other states, and it would be impossible to make those agreements with every country in the world. Your country wouldn't allow me to drive there with my Nevada license so what do you think gives you the right to complain? Sieg dem Unheil!

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 08-15-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Hey Col. Klink, Your country wouldn't allow me to drive there with my Nevada license so what do you think gives you the right to complain? Sieg dem Unheil!
just wish I could spred some love Buzz

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
just wish I could spred some love Buzz
Jou veel get jour belongings and geet on zee truck, and jou veel enchoy eet.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned information removed

It surely would be impossible for the Nevada DMV to make agreements with every country in the World, but Great Britain and Germany are very well allied to the US in many ways, so why isn`t it feasable not integrating them into the same Waiver set-up like other US States? These countrys bring Nevada lots of revenue through tourists, why put in barriers to discourage people?

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 08-15-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,266 times
I am also German, but I also hold the view that there is no discrimination occuring here. Germany is NOT like 'other US States'. It is a separate country, and there is no reciprocation of laws between the two. What would the German authorities say if a Las Vegas resident wanted to carry a concealed weapon in Germany, based on his having a Nevada permit to do so? Or if a Scientology advocate wanted to go to Germany and set up a tax free Church of Scientology there, basing his decision on the fact that it is legal to do this in the US? Sorry, landsmann, I have to agree with the majority here. Just take the test, no matter how inconvenient it may be for you. We all have to put up with this, you must also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas