Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,903 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm new to this forum and need some help.

I live in las vegas and I am foreclosing on a rental condo in las vegas.

My questions are:

1) is there a time frame where the lender can declare/pursue a deficiency judgement? Is there a different time frame for investment vs primary residence?

2) If there is a deficiency judgement ruled against me, is it possible to protect my primary residence and the equity that I have in it? What is a homestead exemption law?

3) Would declaring bankrupy protect me from my the deficiency judgment and is there a way to declare bankrupcy and keep my primary residence?

I'm need help. Can anyone help me find these answers?

Respectfully,

kp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwonp702 View Post
Hello I'm new to this forum and need some help.

I live in las vegas and I am foreclosing on a rental condo in las vegas.

My questions are:

1) is there a time frame where the lender can declare/pursue a deficiency judgement? Is there a different time frame for investment vs primary residence?

2) If there is a deficiency judgement ruled against me, is it possible to protect my primary residence and the equity that I have in it? What is a homestead exemption law?

3) Would declaring bankrupy protect me from my the deficiency judgment and is there a way to declare bankrupcy and keep my primary residence?

I'm need help. Can anyone help me find these answers?

Respectfully,

kp
They can do any number of things to you. The odds are very strongly they will not.

Now is you want real legal advice contact a lawyer. If you don't know one I do and will be happy to tell you who to talk to. But he will charge you likely even for a consult. He is not terribly expensive though.

First off Nevada is a recourse state. That means they can come after you for a deficiency judgement. But because of the way the law actually works they almost never do. You have the option of retreating to BK which likely defeats a deficiency judgement. So generally they don't bother. If you are obviously well off and they can easily find that out make a deal. In fact if that is true have your lawyer make a deal .

If however you simply tried a condo investment at the wrong time and got burned...go for a short and then walk. All the bad will be to your credit and you will survive that.

And stop sweating. It ain't all that bad...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
How does one go about getting a short sale pre-approved? I noticed when shopping for homes in Vegas that some listed in GLVR were bank approved short sale. I thought you had to have an offer first, then the bank approved or denied the offer?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
How does one go about getting a short sale pre-approved? I noticed when shopping for homes in Vegas that some listed in GLVR were bank approved short sale. I thought you had to have an offer first, then the bank approved or denied the offer?
Mostly you don't. You stick in a short sale and the bank finally accepts it after the buyer has gone away. You then claim it is approved...for some value of approved.

Very rarely a seller may actually get a bank to agree to a short sale at some specific price. Very, very rare though. Mostly banks say no, no, a thousand times no. Then you stop paying and get them a rational offer and they may, eventually say yes...but mostly months after the original buyer is gone.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
Ah, that makes more sense. Is there a difference in the short sale process based on the type of loan? VA or FHA or conventional?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,091 times
Don't forget IRS will go after you especially short sell

Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
Don't forget IRS will go after you especially short sell
I have told you before KD. They will not. This is not a problem at least until 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: