Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Well I have purchased my ticket for operation find a job and a place to live in June. I will be in Vegas from saturday-saturday. I plan to get a rental Mon-Fri and POUND the heck out of the pavement!! I have heard the advice LOUD and clear on this forum ..."you will NEVER find a job without a local number and address". So I want to buy a pre-paid cell phone to use for the week I will be there pounding the pavement and putting in applications. I have relatives there who said I could use their address for applications also. Originally I was just going to get my t-mobile phone number switched to the 702 area code (for $15.00) but my parents suggested I just buy the pre-paid one instead. Does anyone know where I can buy a pre-paid minutes phone where I don't have to get a contract?
In a perfect world and if the Vegas heat is smiling upon me I will land a job the week I'm there AND find somewhere to live!! Although I want both I will settle for 1 of the 2 until I can do better. I know my plan is a bit aggressive but I'm NOT gonna go through the next 10 years of my life with the "what ifs". If all else fails I own a home in Ohio and I have a credit card for emergency only sooo I WILL be able to get home. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
at a prepaid cell store??????

Old 12-27-2007, 09:09 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
AT&T Go Phone is pretty inexpensive. I think you can go to their website and get a phone for only $10. Then you can buy mins pretty much anyware. Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, T Mobile on the go. etc... there are tons!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times
I thought of those places I guess I was wondering if I could buy one in Ohio yet still get the 702 area code. Maybe I'll just have my family buy it and ship it to me.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM

10 posts, read 72,639 times
go phones won't work, i'm in the process now of looking for employment (i live in California) and you cant get a go phone unless you're living in the area where its shipping to (not in LV i'm assuming).

Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryE25 View Post
go phones won't work, i'm in the process now of looking for employment (i live in California) and you cant get a go phone unless you're living in the area where its shipping to (not in LV i'm assuming).
Go phones are sold here in Las Vegas. Its on the ATT&T network and one of the perks is it works nationwide. The prepaid as you go plan is as low as 10 cents per min and $1 access fee per day of use. You can buy the min cards online or at many of the retail stores around town. If you activate it, you can ask for a 702# if you say you live in Las Vegas.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM

159 posts, read 478,716 times
To Movingon2 and MaryE: Do either of you have VOIP telephone service? If you have Vonage, you can get a virtual phone number for $5 month. You can choose any area code you wish, and it will ring on your main line when prospective employers from Vegas call you. Or you can just change your current area code to 702.

I don't know about other voice-over-Internet providers, but Vonage has a soft phone feature that would enable you to use it via your laptop (if you have one), so you wouldn't need to get a Go Phone, etc.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM

35 posts, read 136,013 times
Computers can do that?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
You can buy a TMobile pre paid phone anywhere in the USA and they will give you whatever area code you request (just say you live there or are moving there). For $100, you get 1000 minutes and they last a year!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
To Movingon2 and MaryE: Do either of you have VOIP telephone service? If you have Vonage, you can get a virtual phone number for $5 month. You can choose any area code you wish, and it will ring on your main line when prospective employers from Vegas call you. Or you can just change your current area code to 702.

I don't know about other voice-over-Internet providers, but Vonage has a soft phone feature that would enable you to use it via your laptop (if you have one), so you wouldn't need to get a Go Phone, etc.

That is a good idea! probably cheaper that getting a pre-paid cell phone if you have VOIP already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: