Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 PM

110 posts, read 234,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is something my father would say. I have been on and off again homeless since 1995. Every single time I was helped out, and given a place to live, it was always by a liberal democrat. Remember, my father was a conservative republican himself, so I know how they think. He tried to raise me that way too, but I am much to generous and caring to become a republican. I can not understand how selfish they are.
Try understanding it this way: He may have been raised to believe that "certain goodness" is to be considered being stupid and has a negative backfire effect. I know many people, not because of their political views, whom actually think this way. But yes, you are right; there seems to be some basic nature of selfishness amongst conservative republicans.
It´s very unfortunate, but as long as the majority of the people don`t come together, help each other no matter what race, color or personal ethics, we will continue to be a divided society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,328,357 times
A good thread, here are my observations:

1. As some of you know, I have my own snack distribution business. As with any food product, some gets unsold and expires so once a month I count all my expireds, box them, and take them over to Catholic Charities (which is on Foremaster where the tent city was located). I believe that it is better to contribute these products to someone who is going to help those that need it through a workfare program which CC does, when I turned on Foremaster to drop off the donations, I saw at least 10 people walking the ground with brooms and dustpans to pick up every piece of litter.

2. I have clients all over town, while I am in my van I will often come to an intersection where there is someone looking for food. I never give money; however, I will keep some expired product to give out to them. More times, I find that these people are just hungry and don't stay at the same intersection whether by choice or not I don't know but if I see a bag full of clothes then I know they are not there for long.

3. I don't claim to be an expert, but things were getting out of control on Foremaster. I don't know how businesses like the funeral home were able to stay in business, but it does look a lot better with everything cleaned up. However, I do think that the government can provide a building that is not being used to temporarily house those that truly need it with the condition that they use "sweat-equity" in payment for the services. The terms need to be dictated right when the person comes to the facility and it would be non-negotiable.

Just thoughts, there is a lot we can do.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,401,907 times
you are a kind and considerate man, Golfinnova. I admit I was wrong about you not surviving in LV.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,795,075 times
Default What I find perplexing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsMom View Post
LVD and Daddys I'm am very impressed by you both. It's a pleasure to "meet" men like you who have been through what you have.

I apologize to all of you if my stance on this seems uncaring. I'm not an uncaring person and when I lived in San Francisco many years ago (1975's) I would actually keep dollar bills in my pocket to hand out to homeless old women on the streets. I mean what we used to call bag ladies. They were old and perhaps their chances were behind them even if it was because it was bad choices on their part. Then young men would outrage, yes outrage, me. Here were young men, looking fit and able, and begging on the streets. And I was on my way to a 9 hour work day, travelling across San Francisco by MUNI to get to my job.

There were times in San Francisco, Martinez and Fairfield when I was so verbally assaulted for not giving them a handout. Twice I was in tears after such an encounter. Perhaps some people dont realize this because they just see them as they pass by in their cars. But to walk down the street and have them approach you time and time again (as I said here before 3 times in one block in the San Francisco theater district) it is a horrifying experience. I was visibly shaken.
I love to travel to third world counties, particularly Central America, where I ride the local chicken buses and in the back of pick-up trucks while there.

What I have always found perplexing down there is the lack of beggars, being accosted, pressured to give people hand-outs. And, no, I don't frequent touristy areas as that's not my cup of tea. Perhaps the beggars are all hanging out there. But even at the big city bus stations and the public markets, I'm rarely asked for money down there. And as poor as these people are, you would think when they see an American tourist walking down the street, you'd be fighting off throngs of beggars. Not so, hasn't happened down there. Not even in Ecuador or Bolivia. Go figure!

But I have eyes. I can see someone that's suffering, perhaps too proud to beg from me. And I give to them whether they ask or not. Or I'll buy some food for them while riding on the chicken buses, or when the fare collector comes down the aisle of the bus, I might pay the fare for a poor family sitting nearby.

Even in touristy Tijuana, if anyone asks for a hand-out it's usually the Indians, not Mexicans.

Yes, we all have eyes. There are many, no matter how poor, who are too proud to ask for help. I always look for those people.

Just like working in the long-term care facility I work at. There are those who are truly in need, truly in pain, but too proud to ask for help. And then there those who really aren't in pain or need, and they're forever asking for something. And it's never enough for those people.

Use your eyes and try hard to locate those who are too proud to ask for help. More than likely, they'll try and refuse your help, but be forceful, and stick it in their pocket, no matter what.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM

61 posts, read 194,397 times
well said, tijlover: you may have opened my eyes . . .

Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Default The qualified should help the needy for no pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Use your eyes and try hard to locate those who are too proud to ask for help. More than likely, they'll try and refuse your help, but be forceful, and stick it in their pocket, no matter what.
If the magority of our Society would think and handle like you`ve mentioned, we would be much, much further toward a better environment for all.
Yes, you are right - those who stand at the side, not coming up front to get a handout, are the majority of those who have pride and feel maybe shameful to ask. These are the people who obviously can really be helped, toward getting back into a normal living again.

I miss those well-edcucated professionals out there, like dentists, doctors, attorneys, psychologists and so-called social workers, who have the knowledge and ability toward helping effectively. They are the key towards reintegration of those who are too proud to ask for help.
It`s not enough to just tell people to go to charity organizations or churches or parks to hang out in.
The professionals should do some extra work for no pay! That would be real solidarity with your fellow species.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,827,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
First of all, it is a win - win situation for everyones benefit. If you work and earn a salary, it should be normal for you to share a tiny % of your earnings with others in need. Theres nothing wrong with that and you surely won`t be charged 70% more tax on your earnings. WHY be so egoistic? Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you! You never know When you may be in a situation of despair, and surely would be thankful for assistance.
Define an illegal immigrant and you will find that these people never wanted to leave theirs homes n`country in the first place. Many of them have no other choice but to pursue their destiny by trying to "illegally" get through the borders for a possible better life.
When laws & conditions of entry are made so complicated and discouraging, whereas many immigrants don`t even understand the legal writting their reading, and the country their going to doesn`t want them in the first place, these people have no other choice. It`s a basic instint to feed yourself & family and continue living - not just vegetating in a hole.

It´s a political problem and can only be dealt with through negotiations between the governments involved. But it`s wrong and unjustified to denounce a human being his/her right for a better life.
Help them, wherever and however you can!
Forcibly taking money from me to pay for someone else's misfortune, whether through no fault of their own or by their own hand, is not a win-win. It's a win-lose, as those that don't earn win and those that do lose. I already pay my fair share in taxes in many cases to pay for policy I don't agree with. My responsibility in this life is to my family, not your's or anyone else's. I do believe in the golden rule, but have you ever heard that phrase "You can't legislate morality"? It applies in this sense as well. To force money from my hand to abide the golden rule is defies the spirit of the rule to it's core. As for knowing when I'll be in a situation of despair, I already have and you would know that I overcame my difficulties myself without asking anyone for anything, ever, if you would have tried to understand my posts instead of trying to change my mind (which will never happen by the way).

Defining an illegal immigrant is easy. Defining the reasons they come here illegaly is easy. I do empathize. To say that they don't have a choice is ridiculous and goes straight to my point of personal responsibility. Everyone has a choice, always. The options may not be pretty, and the choices may be difficult but to say they don't exist is akin to saying "It's not my fault I can't find work" when there are jobs out there, just jobs that you don't want to do.

In short, I am an egoist in the sense that my money is mine. I worked for it and I retain the rights to it (for now anyway). Like I said, anarcho-capitalism all the way. It's what I believe in and I will continue to live my life in such a manner. Nothing you say or do will ever change my mind, and trust me, this is coming from a former utopia seeking idealist.

FWIW, I don't understand how you can seriously think that more government is the answer. Fed.gov has proven time and again that it's beauracracies and inefficiencies absolutely destroy anything that it touches. Social Security, Medicare, the USPS, the DOE, etc. all absolute mockerys and I guarantee that private industry could take all of that and operate 100% more efficiently than the government. Think for yourself, do for yourself, leave the government out of it.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:55 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
...and what did you do with any money given to you as a homeless person? We have many here in the Detroit area and when my friend and I were getting gas one day on Eight Mile, a homeless (so he said) man came and asked us for some money for food. We went and bought him a cart full of groceries and he had a fit on us, yelling that he needed the money! Uh huh. Precisely what we thought. I will not feed anyone's addiction who I know, so why would I feed a complete stranger's addiction? Help them in other areas? Yes, but many do not want that. Sad.
Twenty years ago, we moved to St. Louis and attended a church located near the St. Louis University. Every Sunday, we were inundated with requests for something to eat. After a few weeks of encountering panhandlers, my wife and I went out to the local grocery and made up 25 shelf-stable box lunches to keep in the car. When people asked us for food, we offered them food. I ended up using those box lunches for MY lunch as we gave away only five in a YEAR. My wife started to take them into church and approach the "hungry" panhandlers and ended up chasing them off the block. One guy screamed at her because she F***** up the area for his panhandling.

Then, they asked for busfare .... but NOT one would accept a bus token.

If you want to help the truly needy, there are any number of organizations who can distribute your donation - organizations like Catholic Social Services, Goodwill, Deseret Industries and the Salvation Army - and probably distribute 90-95+ of what they receive.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Default Expired food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
A good thread, here are my observations:

1. As some of you know, I have my own snack distribution business. As with any food product, some gets unsold and expires so once a month I count all my expireds, box them, and take them over to Catholic Charities (which is on Foremaster where the tent city was located). I believe that it is better to contribute these products to someone who is going to help

Just thoughts, there is a lot we can do
My respect - Thank you, your on the right track!
However, expired is expired and the manufacturer, for safety reasons, did`nt intend this food for distribution after expiration date. It could contain bacteria which could do more harm rather than good.
Imagine the Drugstore handing out expired pills and medicines.... The outcome is clear.

I would recommend you to give them away 1 day before expiration date. That way you can be sure that it`s safe. The needy would consume the product on the same day and no harm would be done.

May God bless you for your helping those in need!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:19 PM

317 posts, read 1,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
My respect - Thank you, your on the right track!
However, expired is expired and the manufacturer, for safety reasons, did`nt intend this food for distribution after expiration date. It could contain bacteria which could do more harm rather than good.
Imagine the Drugstore handing out expired pills and medicines.... The outcome is clear.

I would recommend you to give them away 1 day before expiration date. That way you can be sure that it`s safe. The needy would consume the product on the same day and no harm would be done.

May God bless you for your helping those in need!
Expired snack food typically is not harmful to eat. It generally has an expiration date to guarantee freshness and to ensure that the customer is going to be satisfied with receiving fresh, good tasting products. For example, soda has expiration dates even though it is safe for years and years to drink. But eventually it will lose its carbonation and be flat.

Giving away products prior to the expiration date is sacrificing food that would otherwise be sellable, and there is no reason to remove food that can be sold from the vending machine.

I'd much prefer that expired food be given to people in need rather than destroyed and wasted.

Milk and other perishable food is the exception of course.

(Full disclosure: I'm from a family that routinely will eat expired food rather than throwing it away because we don't believe in wasting.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: