Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,241 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure, my connection is showing +20 and i'm getting decent speeds at all times. Maybe there is someone in your area using up all the bandwidth? This happended to me with comcast cable in california where I had a neighbor using P2P all the time and slowed my connection as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 AM

6 posts, read 43,488 times
Did more googling and found this thread over there:

[General] A few quick Reviews in the LV area for Clear - dslreports.com

Along with links to his blog documenting his experience with Clear

Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,115,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphus Maximus View Post
Yep, spent an hour chatting online with tech suppport doing the reboot, unplug and restart, optimize the browser thing.

I don't believe it's a hardware thing, because I'm getting the same slow speeds using the Clearspot as well, and it's only at certain times (like right now). But I'll swing by the clear store tomorrow and see if I can swap out the modem. I did what Goo++ suggested and logged into the modem and it shows that my CINR number is +16. Which, according to him is decent. If that is the case, would my download speed be THAT slow?
I bought this service from clear:

Fast Home
$30/month

Fast Home Internet gives you more speed. This plan is ideal for online shopping, sending photos or even downloading music. You'll connect at download speeds up to 3 Mbps and upload speeds up to 1 Mbps.*

[*]Unlimited usage - no extra charges[*]Download speeds up to* 3.0 Mbps[*]Upload speeds up to 1.0 Mbps[*] Free activation[*]Includes up to 2 email account

Here are my results in running the speed test today, I am getting four bars:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3609 kbps (451.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 419 kbps (52.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 160 ms

In other words, I am actually getting faster internet than they are advertising. I do not know why you are getting such slow speeds?

This is the tester I used:

PC Pitstop Bandwidth Speed Test

Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I bought this service from clear:

Fast Home
$30/month

Fast Home Internet gives you more speed. This plan is ideal for online shopping, sending photos or even downloading music. You'll connect at download speeds up to 3 Mbps and upload speeds up to 1 Mbps.*

[*]Unlimited usage - no extra charges[*]Download speeds up to* 3.0 Mbps[*]Upload speeds up to 1.0 Mbps[*] Free activation[*]Includes up to 2 email account

Here are my results in running the speed test today, I am getting four bars:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3609 kbps (451.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 419 kbps (52.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 160 ms

In other words, I am actually getting faster internet than they are advertising. I do not know why you are getting such slow speeds?

This is the tester I used:

PC Pitstop Bandwidth Speed Test
Here's the speed I took earlier tonight (before midnight)

Here it is at 3am:

Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Here it is again at 10pm

http://www.speedtest.net/result/613997861.png

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,241 times
you might have a bandwidth hog in your area, thats all I can think off. Do you have a secure network from your router? maybe someone is piggybacking off your signal?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 AM

122 posts, read 426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphus Maximus View Post
I'm over by West Trop and Grand Canyon. I get 4-5 lights consistently. What I have noticed in the past week and a half is that during the late afternoons to late evenings the speeds drop down to unusable levels (speedtest.net shows .14 mbps as the download speed with latency around 350) even with the signal strength at 4-5 lights.
I think it must be a localized thing. I am also located near your area and I have had similar problems for about a week and a half, as you have, even though my CINR has been stable (poor at 8dB, but stable.)

I went online for a tech "chat" with Clear but since I'm a techie myself, I had already tried most of their tech's suggestions. I did not find anything new or useful from the tech "chat", making me suspect that Clear just hasn't provisioned enough upstream bandwidth from their towers located in the southwest part of the valley. They would never admit that, of course.

The PING delay results I get from http://pingtest.net tests are horrible. (Oddly, http://speedtest.net shows much better PING times even though they are sister web sites.) In the past week or so, I have had major timeout problems logging into accounts like gmail and meetup.com even though higher bandwidth video streaming seems to work just fine once connected.

I sometimes watch http://www.lasvegasmixx.com/tvu-channels.html (live msnbc) online. Although it takes a while to start up, once connected, the video stream is stable and reliable.

Last edited by Goo++; 11-06-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
you might have a bandwidth hog in your area, thats all I can think off. Do you have a secure network from your router? maybe someone is piggybacking off your signal?
I thought about that, so I disconnected the modem from the router and plugged it directly into my computer and the speed is still the same; slow. I just did a speedtest just now:

and it seems to be fine...

I'm convinced that the bottleneck is from Clear, maybe they happen to have a lot of users in my area during a heavy use time and need to build out the network out here some more *shrugs shoulders* but it's frustrating not being able to watch "mambo dog" while I'm sitting down to eat dinner.

OH MAMBO DOG, YOU’VE WON MY HEART | Warming Glow

Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 AM

Although I am a big fan of Firefox 3.5.5, one thing I discovered with my limited Clear connectivity (a low CINR: 8dB) is that both embedded and on-site YouTube videos have no problem loading in Google's Chrome browser even when they won't load (or load slowly) in Firefox, etc. The fact the Google owns YouTube, likely has a something to do with that.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM

A friend pointed me to another speed test that I think might be more useful (and quicker) than speedtest.net

One caveat: I wouldn't put too much faith yet in comparison with other Clearwire statistics - there just aren't that many samples yet. As more people test their Clear connection, however, comparison statistics should become more meaningful and accurate.

http://testmy.net/dl-96 DOWNLOAD TEST
http://testmy.net/ul-97 UPLOAD TEST

Last edited by Goo++; 11-18-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas