Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:34 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxshannon View Post
how can you use cell phone model as a connection to the laptop?
I use a cable that connects my phone to my laptop. My charger is the cable. It has a USB end that comes out of the part that plugs into the wall outlet. I have Verizon and you have to set it up with them and download the software. The speed is not great, but not bad either. I believe it's about $50 a month, but you don't have to have it all the time. I call them when I travel and have it turned on and turned off when I return. It's prorated and works out to about $1.67 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 12:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I use a cable that connects my phone to my laptop. My charger is the cable. It has a USB end that comes out of the part that plugs into the wall outlet. I have Verizon and you have to set it up with them and download the software. The speed is not great, but not bad either. I believe it's about $50 a month, but you don't have to have it all the time. I call them when I travel and have it turned on and turned off when I return. It's prorated and works out to about $1.67 a day.
$20 a month for the local hot spot feature. You have to have the smart phone capability $30 per month to use it. The data card runs 60.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 26,600 times
I have had clear for about a year now, just upgraded to the clear wifi modem, no complaints, I test regularly at 11 to 15mbs down load, .50 to 1.3 upload , 60 to 80 pings, price is right, I also have the phone service and mobile ,I have recomended clear to all of my friends

Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM

117 posts, read 257,522 times
I'm glad I found this thread. I was looking into this because I'm in college and my dorm internet is SLOOOOWWWW....

I can't even watch course videos for my classes because it takes so long. And I was unable to fire off an important e-mail this morning because the connection kept timing out.

There is a clear store in my town, so i'll be taking a visit real soon to see what options they have available for me.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
Red face CAClear

I live in Beverly Hills. CA and LOVE my Clear Spot!! I had a USB Device from Virgin Mobile BB2GO, that broke just outside of warranty annually, which was costly. Clear has a more durable device for 4G and I can work several things at once; 2 laptops, TV Netficks on the PS3 and a couple of Ipods!! Most def a better option and faster!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
NetGear is very similiar to Clear.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,259 times
Thumbs up Clear - my experiences with modem and USB stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincity4life View Post
I heard good things about Clear Internet. How good is it? I need mobile for my laptop. Please respond.
I have 2 Clear accounts. One is for large modem (about size of small book) an home. Works very well and very simple; plugs into ethernet socket - OS found it pronto - "always on." Fairly fast, though not like full-service cable, but cheaper. But check first so see if your location is covered!!! Limited coverage in USA!! Also, I've taken modem on the road with laptop; bigger than stick and needs 110 V AC but fast.

I also have portable USB "stick" for laptop (white hinged jobbie, looks good but a bit bulky). Again, does not work everywhere, but cheap. Not fast enough for, say, music+action Youtubes. Must have software installed, but can set it for auto connection.

Nice feature: Can cancel without penalty (@ least as of Oct 2012).

Issues:

1. One outage for about 2 hrs 2 months ago early Monday a.m.. Otherwise connects quickly every time (in Bellingham WA; San Fran Calif, and Honolulu Hi). (Had a similar outage 2 weeks ago, but turned out it was glitch with Google Chrome; Firefox worked OK. Looking back, maybe one short outage 2-3 times/year.

2. Laptop is MacBookPro with OSX 10.7. Memory stick that comes with stick has software ONLY FOR PC and older Macs, and salesman (in Bellingham WA) was clueless how to download proper software. He had to get supervisor; turned out Clear's website has correctly labeled software, but you have to hunt a bit to find it. Once downloaded and installed, rest was easy. (I kept .dmg just in case.)

3. Can't have one account for both both modem and stick.

All in all, 3.5 to 4 out of 5 stars, in my opinion right now.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
Sometimes Clear is a little tough to get indoors, but other than that, a good service at a good price. Sprint now owns a majority stake in Clear and will soon transition from WiMax to LTE.

If you don't use too much data per month, go with Freedom Pop, which give you 500MB per month for FREE. No strings attached. Even the hardware is free (well, you have to pay a $50 deposit for the USB stick or $100 for the pocket wifi, but they return the deposit to you if/when you end service with them). They're a MVNO for Clear so the coverage/connection is identical to Clear's. I've been using them for 2 months and they're great!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Didn't even know that they had speed tests for mobile devices

Sent from cell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas