Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,265,255 times

Advertisements

Buzz's Disclaimer: I'm not always right about everything...it just seems that way. But it can't hurt to call UI and ask these questions...or read your manual. Don't trust me or anyone else to be up to date on UI.

Reply to a DM I received:

I've seen several of your excellent posts, and wonder if I could ask you some questions on behalf of my friend, who is currently receiving Extended Unemployment Benefits, for which she files a weekly claim form.

1. She has accepted a job at City Center, but it won't be opening for several weeks yet. Is she still required to be actively seeking other full-time employment in the meantime?

2. On the weekly claim form, should she report as part of her "job search" activities the time she spends completing pre-hiring requirements for City Center, such as obtaining various licenses, etc.

3. In the meantime, she may have an opportunity to make a little money doing some odd jobs for people. In principle, the unemployment office should just deduct 75% of what she makes from her benefit for that week. But what happens in practice? If she reports making $120 doing a small job for someone one week, will the unemployment office just process her claim normally, less $90?

She's afraid that, instead, the office will want to reopen her whole file, and that her benefits could be held up for weeks pending review. As a result, she is reluctant to accept any short-term work that doesn't offer a dependable continuing income stream. Are her fears justified? What would you advise?

I'll put this here instead of below. Her claim won't be held up "for weeks pending review" unless she quits the new job or gets fired, even if a temp or P/T job. But her claim may be denied for refusing an offer of work, or for not applying for work. This borders on making yourself ineligible for benefits due to refusing suitable work, or for refusing to look for suitable work. Employers DO REPORT to UI when a job offer is refused. See #3 & #4 below.

4. Continuing from paragraph 3, how should she report income earned from doing odd jobs? She would not be an "employee" of the the person or persons she did odd jobs for, so no payroll deductions, W-2, etc. On her tax returns she would report this is self-employment income. Should she report it that way on the weekly claim form also? Or can she just list "odd jobs - $120"? Will she be required to provide the names of the people she did work for?

Thank you! Feel free to post these questions and your replies if you think they may be of general interest.

#1. She must continue to look for work and report where she looked unless she has a definite date, in writing, from a legitimate employer, to start a new job or return to her old job within...and here is where my memory is a little fuzzy...three weeks I believe. It won't delay her claim to call UI and ask. It may be on the website or in the manual. I forget. Sorry. But it has to be a written offer in writing before she can stop her job search, and it must be a job that starts soon. Promises have a way of being rescinded too often.

#2. No way, José!

#3. This is something I haven't dealt with in a while so I'm a little fuzzy on that too. But I don't think you have to report cash from odd jobs such as baby sitting, etc., as long as she continued to look for regular employment. If I remember correctly we took a don't ask don't tell on that. But she can call and ask, or look it up. She can't be punished for asking a question.

For regular part time or temporary jobs, she would need to report the earnings on her weekly claim, then she would reopen her claim for the following week . The procedure has probably been simplified, so I don't know exactly how it's done now, but it used to be that you would just call in on Monday to reopen and give them the earnings, and the employer for the previous week, at the same time. I'm sure there is some form of that still going on but procedures change now and then.

As soon as you go to work your claim stops. If you make less than your weekly benefit then she is correct that they will deduct 75% of the amount earned from the weekly check. So let's say she gets $200 a week in benefits, and makes $100, then they would send her $125, etc., etc. For odd amounts, they round up, by the way.

But the important thing to know is that the claim must be reopened the following week after working unless she went back to work full-time. If she made more than her benefit amount, she doesn't have to do anything but stop filing. As soon as that job ends though, she has to file what is called an additional claim in order to start collecting again.

So if she makes less than her weekly benefit she will need to report the amount the following week and "reopen" her claim as they always need the info on the last two employers. I'd do it on Monday so that last weeks partial check isn't delayed.

If she makes more than her weekly benefit amount, she will not file for that week, and will not file anymore until the job is over. Then, if laid off again, she can open an "additional claim" as long as the benefit year hasn't expired (1 yr from when the original claim was opened. The date may be different for extended benefits).

For regular part-time work with the same employer where she is working but making less than her benefit amount, she can set it up with UI so she doesn't have to reopen every week. She would just report her earnings each week from the same employer, and reopen about every four to six weeks.

#4. I'm not a tax expert, but I don't think even the Feds expect you to be that honest over odd jobs for small amounts of cash. After all she's living on unemployment and probably won't be paying anything this year anyway.

The problem she could have with UI would be one of availability. If she's doing odd jobs they want to know if she is still able and available and searching for full time work during the weeks she is doing the odd jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,739 times
If you have applied and had a hearing over the phone but never received any information by mail as was told almost 3 weeks ago and can't reach unemployment of Neveda by phone what do I do I filed for unempoyment on Feb 15 2010 and was told I would receive a packet in the mail and also the debt card and a form for a proof of identity I have not received anything and called in on Sunday of this week for my claim as I was told to do and it would not except but stated that I needed to call the unemployment and I did several times but never was able to get through to them line was busy and I don't know now what step to take I have already had the hearing on the phone on the 25th of Feb. why is taking so long for me to get the mail out infomation and what is the hold up on me filing the claims if there is a problem I need to know about it but there is not any way to respond. Thank you Phyllis Foster

Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,265,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis foster View Post
If you have applied and had a hearing over the phone but never received any information by mail as was told almost 3 weeks ago and can't reach unemployment of Nevada by phone what do I do I filed for unemployment on Feb 15 2010 and was told I would receive a packet in the mail and also the debt card and a form for a proof of identity I have not received anything and called in on Sunday of this week for my claim as I was told to do and it would not except but stated that I needed to call the unemployment and I did several times but never was able to get through to them line was busy and I don't know now what step to take I have already had the hearing on the phone on the 25th of Feb. why is taking so long for me to get the mail out information and what is the hold up on me filing the claims if there is a problem I need to know about it but there is not any way to respond. Thank you Phyllis Foster
You should have called in a weekly claim on Feb 21, and again on Feb 28. If you didn't call on Feb 21 then your claim stopped as of Feb 20, and that's why it wouldn't accept your claim on Feb 28.

You should have received a package within at least ten days after the original call. Actually, it should have come withing three days I believe. I know they are busy to the point of almost overwhelm with so many unemployed, but that kind of stuff shouldn't take that long.

But it is your responsibility to make sure no week goes by without filing your claim, and if you don't receive something within a few days after they said you would, it is your responsibility to make sure you keep calling until you get through. You can get through even though they are really busy. They have enough lines that you shouldn't get a busy signal for long. It's a pain in the tush but you have to just keep using your speed dialer. If you are in adjudication, it takes 21 days during normal times to get a decision. With this many unemployed it has been taking longer. But you should have received a "monetary" determination and instruction booklet within a few days of filing. They aren't lax about sending those things out, so if you don't get it...or a check when it's due...then it is lost in the mail, or they have the wrong address, or the PO screwed up, or somebody is stealing your mail. But they always send them on time.

If there were no issues...fired, quit, vacation/severance pay, etc....your benefits are automatic, as long as you are monetarily eligible, and you should already be spending your money.

Remember there are a quarter million Nevadans out of work, and a pretty small group trying to help them. I just hope the legislature isn't planning to cut the UI staff to four days a week like they are other State employees. It would be a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas