U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM

34 posts, read 90,183 times
My in-laws live there. There is a Smiths right down the road, plus an Albertson's is right near by and many restaurants and other shopping. In my opinion it's not isolated at all, a bit of a drive for doctors though but no more than when they lived in California. It's a nice place in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM

11,253 posts, read 18,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
don't forget about me...
I asked first. But three more and we can play poker.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM

13 posts, read 22,186 times
Anywhere you move in Vegas is far from somewhere you need to be at some point in time. I live in Southern Highlands, and I have no complaints about access. I might have to drive an extra 5-10 minutes if I want something special, but Target, Smith's (grocery), video rental, dry cleaners, nail salons, etc., are all less than 5 minutes from my home. As for paying that money for a home in Southern Highlands, my only concern would be all of the Section 8 housing that is in SH. California shipped a lot of their Section 8 to Nevada, and many of them ended up in this area. Anthem and Seven Hills are much nicer neighborhoods than SH or Desert Shores. Both are older neighborhoods and the crime rates aren't the best. You can look at the crime rates by zip code here: http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/wizard.asp I think it is a beautiful home, though! Good luck on your hunt!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM

475 posts, read 561,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I asked first. But three more and we can play poker.
I'm all-in. I'll bring the poker chips & cards - who's bringing the munchies & booze?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 AM

278 posts, read 478,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Here is a pretty nice virtual tour.

Las Vegas (548852)

Nice looking house...Nicely done. I would think it clearly in the McMansion class...too big for its site. But that is a preference call.
nice indeed.

the 5 french doors off of the living room seems a bit much... but i suppose it was a choice of french doors versus large windows, and the doors won.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,469,210 times
We have friends in Southern Highlands, nice area but from what I hear the HOA is a bit tough and rules are strictly enforced.

If that doesn't bother you and you agree to live within the CC &R's of the Southern Highlands HoA, by all means, it's nice out there and not at all isolated from anything!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,420,004 times
Quote:
SH has one major drawback...it is very hard to get anywhere from there when I15 is jammed up. That happens reasonably regularly. The alternatives are almost non existent. It is somewhat better now that one can get over to the other side of I15 but I suspect that intersection may be challenging when I15 is bad.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

Quote:
Much of the south side suffers from that problem. There really are only two ways out of Anthem and Seven Hills and only Eastern is an arterial. From the west side there are both the freeway and a set of alternatives that let you avoid a jammed freeway.
Yes, that is what I didn't like about Anthem when my agent took me there last year for our preliminary scouting trip of the general LV area. It is why I concentrated on the west side this year when looking at specific properties.

Quote:
I did not take your comment as derogatory...just the sort of thing an agent should straighten out in a 3 minute conversation. A glance at a current map would also give you a pretty good idea. The area does have local services but they are sparse. No where near the selection of the west side. And "effete eastern snobs" was an obvious put on. Lighten up a little. You are taking all this much too seriously.
Your right; I was. I apologize.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm hoping you get the Desert Shores house. I still expect you to have me over to sit on your patio overlooking the lake and letting me catch some fish from your back yard.
Lol. If I get it, you're on!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
I'm all-in. I'll bring the poker chips & cards - who's bringing the munchies & booze?
Hey, if I get the house, I'll be happy to host. I just hope that the only fish there won't be the ones in the lake!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM

15,758 posts, read 19,193,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Hey, if I get the house, I'll be happy to host. I just hope that the only fish there won't be the ones in the lake!

It is interesting...the lakefront places in Desert Shores have drawn a line in the sand. Got one biggie at 190, one at 225 and the other 8 or so are all holding at $250.

Note that there is really a pecking order. The best address is Diamond Bay followed by Ritz Cove followed by Harbor Cove and Spinnaker. The others are in straight tracts which happen to have a border on the lake.

Be interesting to check back in the spring and see who blinked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas