Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 PM

66 posts, read 137,586 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, "two roaches don't make a right"...ooppps I meant "wrongs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Bugbully, what’s the best way to deal with German roaches in an apartment? The Landlord does a forced once a year sprays on all the units in the building. Tenants have the option to have their unit spayed monthly but most the residing tenants don’t care about roach infestation. I keep my unit clean and have no food or water source for them. I use combat gel applied to pieces of paper weekly hoping they will feast on it. Still I have a few that will not go away.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
If they are Germans, not much you can do for them but just kill the ones that you see. To get rid of them, the problem unit would need to have a clean-out. Unless the unit that has the infestation is taken care of, the problem will keep on coming back.

Mojavedxer: Contact the apartment complex, and tell them that you are seeing the Germans, if they are those. If they are the dark brown/black ones, then just call in once a month to request the outside to be done.

Movingon2Vegas: Hairspray will work just the same as raid does. Try the boric acid. I would also call the owner and see if they will provide a pest control treatment for you. You probably do not have the infestation. But like I said before, a unit around you is probably causing the problem. So until their problem is taken care of then you will be seeing them.

2 is not bad, but I understand how you feel. Some people have a real phobia of insects, and are deathly scared of them. I have that was that way with spiders, took me a long time to get over it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoDevil View Post
Ok guys, "two roaches don't make a right"...ooppps I meant "wrongs".
LMBO good one!!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Idiot???

My mother taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Clearly your mother didn't do the same.

So... I'm going to use ALL of my strength and not tell you EXACTLY what you can do with your "opinion".

However... I will apologize if I upset you. It seems that you are very comfortable living with roaches crawling around your home. I didn't grow up like that so... unlike you I am not at home with roaches and welcoming them to the dinner table!! So once again... please forgive me for wanting them OUT of my home ASAP!!

Moving on.....
You are not only irrational and passing it on to your kids, but you jump to conclusions big time. How do we get from you going crazy over two bugs to attacking my late mother?

Oh by the way, although she was a very intelligent, brave, and beautiful woman who worked her butt off supporting our family of five, and at the same time keeping a house so clean that you could eat off the floors, she was afraid of bugs too. Since it actually took me years to overcome some of those irrational fears that kids get from well meaning parents, I get mad when I see adults do that to children in this day and age. This is a different time. We've learned more and we should know better by now. But one good thing about it, we didn't have many roaches in our house; if one showed up it was quickly dispatched. But it was in the east which is crawling with more bugs per square inch than Las Vegas has per square mile.

I'm sorry when I said I don't like to see people acting like idiots that you thought I was calling you one. I said I don't like to see people act like idiots over small harmless critters. That doesn't imply I live with roaches does it? It means they are nothing to get all excited about. I see them and I kill them, but I don't lose my head over them.

I would bet that wherever you came from that you had 1,000 times more cockroaches than you'll find in Las Vegas. After all you've only seen TWO according to you. We have comparatively few insects here, but none of them are truly dangerous. Icky maybe, but not anything to panic over or to create fear and paranoia in a child over.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 AM

60 posts, read 219,526 times
Default F.Y.I., roaches run "up and down"

I've lived several places in the past that had roaches. Now, we live in a mobile home and I haven't seen a single bug in over two years!

When I did have roaches, the pestaway rep told me that roaches run up and down between floors of buildings. For every one you see, there are hundreds hiding! He used a "flash" agent to kill the main culprits. It causes the bugs to run everywhere! Then he kept hitting them with alternative treatments every other month so they don't build up resistance.

Just one other thing, my pestaway guy did say that eggs hatch in 45 days and that NOTHING will touch an egg. He said to go through my house and look in POCKETS OF CLOTHING (jeans, etc.) and even ENVELOPES (no kidding) for roach eggs.

Good news is, it took effort, but we were successful and they were all ELIMINATED!

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times
It makes a lot of sense that if you live in an apartment/condo complex it's based on you and neighbors. You really have a LOT more control if you live in a single family.

Either way it goes...I'm not comfortable with them and having bugs in my home is something I will NEVER get used to.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM

54 posts, read 128,368 times
My wife recently started freaking out about scorpions in our yard. This is the first time she's live in the Southwest, so roaches, millipedes, scorpions and other nasty things are all new for her. I just have to keep reminding her that the big roaches she sees outside are normal for the desert and scorpion stings aren't any worse than a bee sting.

Doesn't help much though, she's calling pest control companies...bah.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Default Bugs!! I'm not going to make it....

ehhh [chomping on a carrot]...What's up, Doc? You'll just have to toughen up, Elmer Fudd, or go on back where you came from.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Yeah, cockroaches really bug me for their speed, ability to fit in tight spaces, and ability to take a beating. They've also got some imposing spikes on their abdomens that give me the heebie jeebies once they get more than 2 in. long. Still, compared to more humid climates, Vegas is nothing to fret about.

Bugs will be a problem everywhere, and even up in Idaho where they were pretty much a non-issue, I had to kill hobo spiders on a nearly daily basis in an old, bottom-floor college pad, and deal with the occasional cat head spider or boxelder beatle infestation. In Texas, I had to check my shoes for scorpions each morning they were so common, while here I have yet to even see a scorpion outside (I'm sure they're out there. I haven't gone searching... fact is, I'd have to go searching). I'm not even going to get into the cockroach issue in Miami. You would have to live in squalor here to even come close to what I saw in a buddy's reasonably clean (for a bachelor pad) apartment there. We'd kill several roaches a day, and find them in such fun places as bed, clothes, toiletries, and boxed foods. I'm amazed I came out of that stint without hepatitis.

Altogether, it's understandable to get frazzled by particularly ugly, invasive bugs, but I'd never let them determine where and when I can live and enjoy myself (frequent transmission of carnivorous, parasitic worms is an exception). Then you're just letting your own mind control and detract from your life, something that is rather silly when examined for what it is. It's one thing to get scared when you continually find scorpions in your linens (or are at increased risk for the aforementioned parasitic worms where you live), but you're more likely to get bitten by a grasshopper, horsefly, or ant than a cockroach. Cockroaches should only become a quality of life issue once they've infested your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas