Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Caesars Palace located in Las Vegas, NV?
Yes 8 32.00%
No 17 68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nice try LVD...but Paradise is not a city. It is a town.

Just to add to the confusion there are two kinds of town...

And paradise was strategic to the development of LV...Why was that?
Ok, it is a town, but what I was getting at is it has it's own name at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Las Vegas Drunk is correct.You can debate whether it is a town or a city. It's unincorporated so it has no official government and the citizens are only held to the laws of the county. The "town" has no power. However, many maps will show unincorporated towns and the post office will give residents of these towns their own zip code and frequently town name. So I'd call it a town or city with the caveat that it's unincorporated.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Sorry they're being so hard on you, cedarbluff.

Many decades ago, the Las Vegas Police Department and the Clark County Sheriff's Department merged into what commonly is now referred to as "Metro" or LVMPD.

As Olecapt has stated, the strip is still patrolled by Metro as are other parts of unincorporated Clark County.
That's ok. I think this thread was asking for a little ribbing.

Olecapt is correct that I don't live in Vegas so some of the unique things to Vegas I don't understand. Perhaps I will understand better after my trip there in about a month. Well, I hope I won't need to understand about police vs sheriffs this trip.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Lay off the drugs....are you seriously posting a really dumb question in the Las Vegas forum?
Yes, this is a really dumb question. And 5 out of 6 people so far got the answer correct. Hope you were one of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
I'm wondering if you are one of those people that call travel agencies and ask what the bus fare is to Hawaii.
I've never asked that one. But I have wondered if they have interstate highways in Hawaii.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
One of the first things a newbie learns here is that the city limits are on the North side of Sahara. Cross the street and you're in the county. So the Stratosphere is in the city, and two blocks away, the Sahara is in the county, as are all the Strip hotels.

The city will never annex the Strip because the hotel owners who tell the city and county commissioners what to do don't want to pay the taxes for city services which they now get for free. The three cities (Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas) have their own fire departments plus the county fire department. All of them respond to the Strip. The County Fire Department sends ambulances to Strip emergencies, even though they leave the transportation to the private ambulance services, which respond to the same emergency. Each City Fire Department provides emergency ambulance service within it's borders.

There hasn't been a Las Vegas Police Department since the city police and county sheriff merged to become the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) 1973. It is run by the sheriff and they are responsible for all of Clark County, including all UNINCORPORATED Townships such as Paradise and Winchester, and all the INCORPORATED towns like Mesquite, Searchlight, and Laughlin, but not Henderson, North Las Vegas, and Boulder City. Henderson, Boulder City, and North Las Vegas declined to join the merger, so they still have their own forces (and they seem to write more tickets).

Clark County is an area of over 8,000 square miles, just slightly smaller than Vermont. But as far as the LAS VEGAS VALLEY is concerned, if you don't live here to know the difference you can't really tell when you've left one city or township and entered another. I doubt if most residents even know that, at least in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas, the street name signs are different colors; green in Las Vegas and the county, and blue in North Las Vegas. I keep meaning to check the ones in Henderson and Boulder City but I always forget.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,377 times
Ok, I was always and apparently still am, HORRIBLE at trick questions. I looked at the surface of the question, and not deeper into it. My apologies Cedar Bluff...

Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 AM

243 posts, read 238,181 times
Everything on the STRIP south of Sahara is located in unincorporated Clark County. While in a "Las Vegas" state of mind, it is in the county.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:58 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Really? REALLY? REALLY?

This thread is more than seven years old & the question has already been answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas