Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My two cents: I'm betting on two years, based on past performance, and the fact that people will take a vacation when things are bad in order to cheer themselves up, and to forget reality for a while. At least that's the way it has always been in Las Vegas and other resort communities.
IMO, Vegas is like a bar.. when you're happy, you go to the bar...when you're sad, you go to the bar... when you're average, bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Vegas will not be back in a year...

By summer 2013, according to the state Health and Human Services Department, hundreds of thousands of Nevadans will need public assistance to survive:• Nearly one in five Nevadans will be on food stamps;
• Enrollment in Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance program for the poor, will increase nearly 25 percent, to more than 250,000;
• Enrollment in welfare will increase by one-third.

More Nevadans will need help as economic storm worsens - Sunday, Sept. 27, 2009 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,335 times
As the National economy rebounds, so will Las Vegas. The following leading economic indicators (lol) suggest the recession is over.
There is an increase in the size of restaurant garbage piles, increase in denim sales, increase in pink ties, increase in shopping bag counts, increase in wine auction sales, increase in wireless towers, and decrease in hotel cancellations (the article mentions MGM).
http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/21/clever-economic-indicators-entrepreneurs-finance-indicators_slide.html?partner=email

Anecdotically, it seems I know of many friends, relatives, and acquaintances who will be visiting Las Vegas soon. It also seems Signature reservations are up with a few days already listed as sold out. That probably hasnt happened for a while. There is hope...

Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times
Vegas will def recover, as will the rest of the nation. But seeing that Vegas is a expendable cash driven driven town it will most likely be one of the last areas to truly recover

Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Vegas will def recover, as will the rest of the nation. But seeing that Vegas is a expendable cash driven driven town it will most likely be one of the last areas to truly recover
You may be right. Nobody knows. But I've been hearing that one for most of my life, and everytime we've had an economic downturn, Las Vegas has always been one of the first cities to recover. Economists overlook human nature. People want to be entertained and to feel good, even when the house is caving in; doesn't matter if they are a high roller betting millions, or Joe from Podunk with a roll of quarters to lose. They all think they can get win and everything will be all right.

Also, as I was reading about Bob Stupak in John Smith's column today, he reminded me that in Vegas, the attitude has forever been anything worth doing is worth doing in excess.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM

106 posts, read 222,846 times
The problem is that Vegas is entering a new era. People do not want to spend money. Therefore, Vegas will be the last to recover. The issue I have with is the term, "recover." Our property values will never returned to normal. Unemployment is still rising at a constant rate. The Las Vegas Sun recently reported that Vegas could eventually hit an unemployment rate of 17-19 percent. With these numbers, I am sad to say, Vegas is doomed.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
The problem is that Vegas is entering a new era. People do not want to spend money. Therefore, Vegas will be the last to recover. The issue I have with is the term, "recover." Our property values will never returned to normal. Unemployment is still rising at a constant rate. The Las Vegas Sun recently reported that Vegas could eventually hit an unemployment rate of 17-19 percent. With these numbers, I am sad to say, Vegas is doomed.
I like the argument that assumptions about eventually returning to 'normal' or boom period values are wrong. Some people assume that their equity and or home values will, EVENTUALLY, return to their peak values. This is not necessarily the case, especially when you adjust for inflation.

It's kind of like holding on to your home or stocks forever, knowing that they will return to their peak value over time (although, in many cases, they will not).

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
This past year has been a good one, financially-speaking, for me. No, I did not get a raise or increase my income...but by simply adjusting my spending (haven't been to LV in a while ) I have been able to pay off over $10K of debt, while incurring no new debt. My child support payments end in the next few months, and I plan to pay that extra exact monthly amount to further reduce debt. My goal is to be completely out of debt within the next 3 years. Just by tightening the belt.

That's my goal...and it means no more Las Vegas until then, at least. And when I do return to LV...I will pre-save for the trip before coming again. At this rate, I won't be back there until at least 2012! This, from someone who used to make a pilgrimage to LV at least once...and sometimes, twice a year (I have not been there since the last DDO...I believe in March, 2008?)

I don't know about others across the country...but there may some of the same thinking (to some degree) in their plans. Until then, this board will have to do. Thank you all for my Vegas fix...and I'll see what things look like in 2012.

Last edited by jfkIII; 09-28-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM

239 posts, read 642,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

It's kind of like holding on to your home or stocks forever, knowing that they will return to their peak value over time (although, in many cases, they will not).

And Vegas is another GM. A real "blue chipper."

Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
Good scenario JFK. I think people are paying off thier debt and not living on credit cards, too bad it took this economy for folks to figure this one out.
I'm really not surprised though that people are still heading to Las Vegas. While it is double digits for unemployment, one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough in my opinion is that most families are dual income now. That wasn't the case for the Great Depression or many years after that. Most people are still making it and doing okay. Are these the folks that are taking advantage of some good deals in Vegas, I would say at least some are.
For the average folks who work thier lives to make it and have a nice nest egg to retire with, the sky isn't falling as it appeared a year ago, but folks are cautious. And with caution I think more realist approach to finances prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas