Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Grow up...
now isn't that the kettle calling the pot black... lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Bwahaahahahahahhahahahbwaahahahah (whatever that means).. goodbye my little troll!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Thanks for the well thought out answer. I have a quirky interest on why people relocate. Whenever I speak to someone who's new to the area I ask what brought them here. When I find out people are leaving, I ask what's taking them away. If you want conservative, you're headed to the right place. I had a former co-worker that was born and raised in Houston. She followed her fiance who took a job in Silicon Valley. They've since married and intend on going back to Texas as soon as they have enough money saved to buy a home with cash. She's told me they're considering Austin as well. There's a lot to like about Texas. Good luck with your move!
Austin and Dallas people in general consider Houston the pits. I believe it is reciprocal.

In my view Houston is right down there with Cleveland and Detroit. It is warner though.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Austin and Dallas people in general consider Houston the pits. I believe it is reciprocal.

In my view Houston is right down there with Cleveland and Detroit. It is warner though.
Rated as a beta world city, Houston's economy has a broad industrial base in the energy, manufacturing, aeronautics, transportation, and health care sectors and is a leading center for building oilfield equipment; only New York City is home to more Fortune 500 headquarters in the city limits. Due to Houston's highly diversified industrial sectors, its economy is thriving, inflation is low, and the standard-of-living is relatively high. The Port of Houston ranks first in the United States in international waterborne tonnage handled and second in total cargo tonnage handled. The city has a population from various ethnic and religious backgrounds and a large and growing international community. It is home to many cultural institutions and exhibits—attracting more than 7 million visitors a year to the Houston Museum District. Houston has an active visual and performing arts scene in the Theater District and is one of few U.S. cities that offer year-round resident companies in all major performing arts

In 2008, Houston received top ranking on Kiplinger's Personal Finance Best Cities of 2008 list which ranks cities on their local economy, employment opportunities, reasonable living costs and quality of life. The city ranked fourth for highest increase in the local technological innovation over the preceding 15 years, according to Forbes magazine. In the same year, the city ranked second on the annual Fortune 500 list of company headquarters, ranked first for Forbes Best Cities for College Graduates,[88] and ranked first on Forbes list of Best Cities to Buy a Home. The city issued 42,697 building permits in 2008 and was ranked first in the list of healthiest housing markets for 2009, according to Builder magazine.

From Wikipedia...Yeah sounds just like Detroit.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4na View Post
Hello,
I'm sorry you don't like it here. I have been here 3 years and love the weather. I have only had my car broken inot once and it was kids.
You should try a different part of town. The NW is VERY quiet.
Anyway, We like it here but are moving to WY come next MAY. We don't feel this is the right town to raise kids in so we're outa here next year.

Good luck,

John

Thanks John. I feel the same way. If it were just me I'd long been gone. But, the ex lives in this cesspool and, well, here I feel I have to stay until prospects get better. Good luck in WY! That's got to be great wide open spaces and peaceful. CO will be great when I get there, I just know it.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
You are in the same situation as a lot of people who are here only because they are currently stuck in their homes and are waiting for the market to improve so they can sell and get the hell out.

You are just going to have to tough it out and try to make the best out of it. You are not alone. There are a lot worse places in this country where you could be stuck, trust me. Things will turn around.

If you really really must get out then create a savings plan. Eat rice and beans if you have to. Save every penny possible so you can have a float in Colorado while you look for work. Get a second job. It will keep you busy and working toward a goal, thus taking your mind off of whatever it is you hate about las vegas.
Thanks MR77, good advice.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
join a church, they will help you pack
Not a bad idea, but I'm not religious. Imagine that!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
...............right on, maybe we should start a thread that reads "Vegas through the eyes of a Prozac patient."

LOL..... gotta love that one!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
LOL..... gotta love that one!
Seriously, this city is going to be a way better place when you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas