Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

49 posts, read 123,681 times

Advertisements

I just can't help myself & also b/c no on else has commented on it..."WORSER & WORSER"?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Las Vegas should take a page from Pittsburgh's history books. When all of the steel mills began to close and the economy there began to tank they were forced to look into tech, medical, and banking. Its been done and I think it can be done again with the right tax incentives. I'd imagine a lot of business could be lured away from California due to the tax climate. I think the one thing that may hold Nevada back is a lack of skilled and well educated employees.
Pittsburgh is also in the forefront for green technologies. Which is interesting being the opposite of what it was once known for.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
I just can't help myself & also b/c no on else has commented on it..."WORSER & WORSER"?????
I just read it, but was going to be polite. BUT, since you brought it up, there is no such word as WORSER. It is bad and it is worse. On another thread we were talking about education in NV. Guess that made my point more relevant.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
AZ are having significant problems as well.
This is incorrect. I am from Phoenix, Arizona. Their unemployment rate is 8.6%, compared to 13.4% here in Vegas. They are nowhere near as bad as shape as Vegas.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is incorrect. I am from Phoenix, Arizona. Their unemployment rate is 8.6%, compared to 13.4% here in Vegas. They are nowhere near as bad as shape as Vegas.
So you are saying there are not significant problems with the economy in Phonenix???? I bet if I checked that forum I would see significant problems in comparison to what it was a year ago.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 10-07-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
So you are saying there are not significant problems with the economy in Phoenix???? I bet if I checked that forum I would see significant problems in comparison to what it was a year ago.
No, there are not significant problems, like here and California. Of course, Phoenix is in worse shape than it was a year ago. That goes for all major cities. However, all my friends and family are doing just fine. I can not say the same for people in Vegas. Do you feel Houston is having significant problems, because Phoenix and Houston are virtually the same as far as unemployment? Here is the current list. You will see Phoenix is near the top half of the list, while Vegas is all the way on the bottom. In fact, the only two cities doing worse are Riverside and Detroit.

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
No, there are not significant problems, like here and California. Of course, Phoenix is in worse shape than it was a year ago. That goes for all major cities. However, all my friends and family are doing just fine. I can not say the same for people in Vegas. Do you feel Houston is having significant problems, because Phoenix and Houston are virtually the same as far as unemployment? Here is the current list. You will see Phoenix is near the top half of the list, while Vegas is all the way on the bottom. In fact, the only two cities doing worse are Riverside and Detroit.

My home state city is at the botton of the list! - 17% - Detroit. I guess that means if a Michigander wants to move to Vegas, while the jobs are bleak in Vegas, they are even bleaker where he or she is from!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
In fact, the only two cities doing worse are Riverside and Detroit.

I have family in Riverside, Ca. One of my sister's cannot find work at all. She is in jeopardy of losing her home. She was laid off from her job 2 month's ago. She was working in the mortgage section of her bank. Laid off due to the economy her boss said.
Trying to sell her home now she would get much less than she paid, so she is really struggling. Has kids, dogs.
It's not just LV for sure. It's all over the country.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
I just read it, but was going to be polite. BUT, since you brought it up, there is no such word as WORSER. It is bad and it is worse. On another thread we were talking about education in NV. Guess that made my point more relevant.
Speaking of the misuse of words and education (or lack thereof):

Quote:
Honey, please don't take my silly comments personal.
The correct word is personally.

Personal is an adjective.

Personally is an adverb.

In your sentence, the modification is to the verb "take." Hence, an adverb is needed.

But, there is nothing personal in my correction of your flawed sentence. Please don't take my silly comments personally.

Quote:
On another thread we were talking about education in NV. Guess that made my point more relevant.
Now, what was that point you thought was relevant?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Speaking of the misuse of words and education (or lack thereof):

The correct word is personally.

Personal is an adjective.

Personally is an adverb.

In your sentence, the modification is to the verb "take." Hence, an adverb is needed.

But, there is nothing personal in my correction of your flawed sentence. Please don't take my silly comments personally.

Now, what was that point you thought was relevant?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas