Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM

71 posts, read 176,685 times

Advertisements

hey guys,
i bought a house over in henderson off of eastgate. my projected properties taxes for the first year were suppose to be $2200. well after paying the same mortgage payment for the past siz months my new bill is $200 more. so I call bank of America which is the bank i got the loan with. she tells me that my projected property taxes went up to $3800. i almost passed out. i have a problem with this because i think homes in my neighborhood have not appreciated in the last 6 months. i think they've either stayed the same or have dropped a bit. the agent from boa wasnt sure if this number was even correct. she said i should call the county accessor and get the correct figure and if the number is different than what they have i need to call them back to have my bill changed. im really worried because im just making it as it is. ive read that cities are trying to make more money by raising property taxes but i feel like im being punished for all the others that walked away from there homes. if this is the case there creating another toxic situation cuz its the same as a mortgage payment being adjusted.

so i called the county accessor and got an automated customer service. it wouldnt give me the total i owe for the whole year. so now i dont know what to do. if anyone has any advice id really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,303,925 times
Get on the Clark county assessors website, enter your address and it will bring up your property and the amount of taxes. Go back to where you entered your address and click on each of your neighbors homes to see their square footage and taxes. If you can produce less square footage with lower taxes, print that info and use it on a tax appeal.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
As soon as you said the words 'BANK OF AMERICA'...it all made sense.

I had a credit card through the Bank of America...and had so many problems - charging the wrong thing, taking one year of me calling every single month to reverse something that was done wrong and promised to take effect the following month, and just an emormous amounts of incompetence when trying to sort it out on the phone - I believe I was talking to India or the Philippines everytime I called them.

The entire BANK OF AMERICA is a mess. Sorry, I can't help you with this, but seriously good luck working with them. One of the most poorly run, mismanaged, incompetent banks I've ever dealt with by far.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 AM

450 posts, read 1,509,911 times
I agree, BOA wouldn't give me a loan approval more than 50K because they kept doing the numbers based on how much I still owe. I went to a new place, and the broker was able to get me approved for a 90K loan based on what I pay each month. It's an FHA loan. My brother works for BOA and said they are the worst lender to deal with right now, and from what he is telling me, their corporate offices have many many lawsuits against them right now.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizir View Post
hey guys,
i bought a house over in henderson off of eastgate. my projected properties taxes for the first year were suppose to be $2200. well after paying the same mortgage payment for the past siz months my new bill is $200 more. so I call bank of America which is the bank i got the loan with. she tells me that my projected property taxes went up to $3800. i almost passed out. i have a problem with this because i think homes in my neighborhood have not appreciated in the last 6 months. i think they've either stayed the same or have dropped a bit. the agent from boa wasnt sure if this number was even correct. she said i should call the county accessor and get the correct figure and if the number is different than what they have i need to call them back to have my bill changed. im really worried because im just making it as it is. ive read that cities are trying to make more money by raising property taxes but i feel like im being punished for all the others that walked away from there homes. if this is the case there creating another toxic situation cuz its the same as a mortgage payment being adjusted.

so i called the county accessor and got an automated customer service. it wouldnt give me the total i owe for the whole year. so now i dont know what to do. if anyone has any advice id really appreciate it.
Does not compute. If your taxes were in the 2200 area in the 2008/2009 tax year they cannot have gone up more than 8% under any circumstances.

If they were 2200 for the 2009/2010 tax year you would not be complaining.

I suspect what has happened is you bought a place for $220000 that had a previous tax bill of 3500 or more and expected the taxes to come down based on what you paid. It does work that way...but not until the 2010/2011 tax year. The present taxes (2009/2010) are based upon the valuation in December of 2008. They won't change until the valuation in December of 2009 for the 2010/2011 tax year.

If you want to send me a DM with your address I will check but this is likely what has occurred.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,052,059 times
Go to this website: Public Search Page and type in your address. After you pull up your property it will show your full year tax due under "Net taxes". Make sure this amount matches what BoA is telling you.

Property tax rates in Henderson have not gone up (should be approx 2.9% of assessed value).

I have seen cases with new homes where the second year property taxes would increase a lot since the first year didn't include the new construction, but that doesn't sound like the case here. For you to have a $3800 prop tax bill, you would have to own a pretty big house.

My guess is BofA screwed up somewhere.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 PM

560 posts, read 1,708,249 times
I'm not sure how this works in Nevada, but generally speaking you can "challenge" your property taxes. This forces the assessor to go out and reassess the property. I ready somewhere that when people challenge their taxes like that 75% of the time they are successful and get a reduction. I did this in Youngstown, OH on a rental property and was successful. Taxes went from $1300 to $975! It's well worth some paperwork and a couple of phone calls.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
there is a small window in time when you can appeal your property taxes.. print out your details and the comps of the neighborhood.. then it goes in front of a board.... i have 2 homes, 1 i appealed, went down about 600 a year, the other, i did not appeal, went down 400... and olecapt is right, your property tax cannot increase more than 8% per year, its capped.. so if it was 2000, it cannot go more than 2360

Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Go to this website: Public Search Page and type in your address. After you pull up your property it will show your full year tax due under "Net taxes". Make sure this amount matches what BoA is telling you.

Property tax rates in Henderson have not gone up (should be approx 2.9% of assessed value).

I have seen cases with new homes where the second year property taxes would increase a lot since the first year didn't include the new construction, but that doesn't sound like the case here. For you to have a $3800 prop tax bill, you would have to own a pretty big house.

My guess is BofA screwed up somewhere.

the house is small, 1900 square feet and the lot is 3500 square feet. i think your right about Bofa screwing up because the agent i talked to seemed unclear on how they came up with the new projected figure. she even told me if i can find out from the accessor what the correct property taxes were that id have to call them back and give them the correct figure. just by her saying that makes me suspicious.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
there is a small window in time when you can appeal your property taxes.. print out your details and the comps of the neighborhood.. then it goes in front of a board.... i have 2 homes, 1 i appealed, went down about 600 a year, the other, i did not appeal, went down 400... and olecapt is right, your property tax cannot increase more than 8% per year, its capped.. so if it was 2000, it cannot go more than 2360

Thats good news about the 8% max increase. Even though i still think its crazy to raise property taxes with the housing market the way it is, i can stomach 8% compared to over 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: