Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

Spent the weekend looking. I do love Glen Heather, Mcneil area. Just beautiful but a tad pricey for me. I did learn something interesting. The day of the multiple offer is not gone and over with in Vegas. There is a lot of inventory and forclosures but some of the banks are doing something risky only they can afford to do. Just for example, I went and looked at a real armpit in Mcneil. Fixer is stating it kindly. Most people probably would have bailed as soon as they smelled the place. It was listed for 263K and has since sold for over 325K with 11 or maybe more offers. On properties in high demand areas, it looks like they are listing low and looking for multiple offers to drive the price to what the market will bear. At 325K I don't think that was a bargain but it was what someone was willing to pay. I'm sure it went to a flipper. It needed way too much work for the average homeowner. But if it's redone nicely, it will probably resell for @ 500K. Looked at another home in Mcneil listed for 400K. All dated wallpaper and borders with some funky plastic grapes and leaves on the ceilings. UGH!

I spent most of my time in Paradise Palms. I love Mid-Century Modern and it's a great area. Mature landscaping and beautiful homes. Close to everything and yet it looks relatively safe. I wouldn't be afraid to ride my bike or walk the dog there. The prices are a little more reasonable too. The homes seem to be well maintained and no junker cars etc. Since I can't afford Mcneil, it looks like a good second choice.

What do you folks think? Is Paradise Palms liveable? And why. Would you live there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
I think Paradise Palms is great and if you can afford those homes, you are in luck! It's still a little pricy for me. I also love the area near from Hacienda to Patrick around Pecos, especially Shadow Hills which is just west of Pecos off Russell, though they are not mid century. You have to remember that at the time, there were only a few thousand people in Vegas, so there aren't too many midcentury houses to choose from.
There is one area you haven't mentioned...
I'm biased because I live there, but you should check out the Huntridge area. We have a lot of the old Vegas style that you love about all the neighborhoods you mentioned, but the prices are still under control, often less than the median. There are some fantastic places east of Maryland Pkwy that I've seen for sale in the past few months. Also, the John S. Park neighborhood has some of the most fantastic early Las Vegas architecture you'll ever see. Despite what you may have heard on this site or elsewhere, it's a great place to live. There is still some improving to do, but I love the neighborhood and always take the opportunity to invite good neighbors to move there.

Good Luck with the House hunting!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Paradise Palms is my favorite old neighborhood followed by Huntridge. Both are safe...And Paradise Palms is very convenient to a lot in town and has some huge homes...

Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I think Paradise Palms is great and if you can afford those homes, you are in luck! It's still a little pricy for me. I also love the area near from Hacienda to Patrick around Pecos, especially Shadow Hills which is just west of Pecos off Russell, though they are not mid century. You have to remember that at the time, there were only a few thousand people in Vegas, so there aren't too many midcentury houses to choose from.
There is one area you haven't mentioned...
I'm biased because I live there, but you should check out the Huntridge area. We have a lot of the old Vegas style that you love about all the neighborhoods you mentioned, but the prices are still under control, often less than the median. There are some fantastic places east of Maryland Pkwy that I've seen for sale in the past few months. Also, the John S. Park neighborhood has some of the most fantastic early Las Vegas architecture you'll ever see. Despite what you may have heard on this site or elsewhere, it's a great place to live. There is still some improving to do, but I love the neighborhood and always take the opportunity to invite good neighbors to move there.

Good Luck with the House hunting!
Thanks for the tips and I will check out Huntridge and John S Park as well. I've been a part time resident of LV for years and I love it, warts and all. I am really looking forward to living there permanently. I think parts of downtown are great fun. There's just something that feels good about the old Vegas style. The best way to preserve Vintage Vegas homes is to make the neighborhoods viable, safe, enjoyable places to live. I plan to do my part!

There's a lot of Paradise Palms that's beyond my budget too. I am definitely looking in the cheap seats! The best I can afford there will be a fixer but that's OK. I've already remodeled 2 houses from top to bottom so what's one more? I'm not a flipper, I'm too slow. It was always my way of being able to afford a nice home in a good area.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Paradise Palms is my favorite old neighborhood followed by Huntridge. Both are safe...And Paradise Palms is very convenient to a lot in town and has some huge homes...
Thanks and I am checking out Huntridge too.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM

78 posts, read 342,554 times
Paradise Palms is by far one of the best example of MCM architecture we have here. Actually they are all P&K architect homes. I moved 12 individuals into the subdivision this past year all with the same vision...restore the neighborhood...but restore it with the integrity in which it was built.

check out...Las Vegas Mid- Century Modern Real Estate - Mark Minelli, Keller Williams

It is great to share with others the love for MCM modern homes and architecture....there is also a modern group that meets on a regular basis.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityModern View Post
Paradise Palms is by far one of the best example of MCM architecture we have here. Actually they are all P&K architect homes. I moved 12 individuals into the subdivision this past year all with the same vision...restore the neighborhood...but restore it with the integrity in which it was built.

check out...Las Vegas Mid- Century Modern Real Estate - Mark Minelli, Keller Williams

It is great to share with others the love for MCM modern homes and architecture....there is also a modern group that meets on a regular basis.
You have a nice website but you need to do some serious spellchecking. The homes that you are referring to as Tam-o’-Shanter Country Club originally were called Georgetown West, I believe, because they looked like the town homes in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC? They started out as beautiful brick homes, a material that you don’t see used enough around here. Then someone painted over that beautiful red brick. Never could understand that thinking. They have always been very nice though. Please refresh my memory, where is Francisco Park?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You have a nice website but you need to do some serious spellchecking. The homes that you are referring to as Tam-o’-Shanter Country Club originally were called Georgetown West, I believe, because they looked like the town homes in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC? They started out as beautiful brick homes, a material that you don’t see used enough around here. Then someone painted over that beautiful red brick. Never could understand that thinking. They have always been very nice though. Please refresh my memory, where is Francisco Park?
I believe it's 89109? Next door to Paradise Palms sort of. Lots of great homes there. I'm not sure but I think someone told me it's not quite as nice as PP? I can't figure out what the difference is. Anyway, that 1st house on their website for Francisco Park is on(I think) Cochran St.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 05-29-2007 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 AM

I found Huntridge but no luck with John S Park. Where is it or what is it close to? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
its like 6th-9th street and oakey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas