U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 PM

369 posts, read 593,150 times
why does everyone think it's smart to move without a job in this economy?? I would go ahead and say if it is a section 8 neighborhood, it is not a "safe" neighborhood. I dont mean to be stereotypical at all... as i appreciate that you are trying to protect yourself and your 3 young boys... but you have to be smarter than that.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,279,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
The OP didn't ask what your opinions are of Section 8 or your opinion of her situation. Read the question. If you don't have something helpful to say then please refrain from posting.

Thank you.

I would think the OP would care that it would likely take her some years to obtain Section 8 housnig in Las Vegas.

Moderator cut: no discussion of mod actions

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-11-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: dm your question to me

Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 PM

11,785 posts, read 17,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
why does everyone think it's smart to move without a job in this economy??
But a single mother looking for Section 8 housing, probably isn't looking for work.

Probably the most important is Cap's advice that it would take a few years to get Section 8 in Vegas, which would mean having to work as a single mother of 3 kids...which probably makes it a 'no go' anyways.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM

15,387 posts, read 21,545,591 times
Just because you have section 8 from one place does NOT mean you can get it here.

and quite frankly we don't need people moving here that are not planning on becomming productive citizens.

We already have enough of them and they can't find jobs.

Oklahoma might be a better choice since they have marginally better weather and probably have a better job situation.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM

549 posts, read 768,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
The OP didn't ask what your opinions are of Section 8 or your opinion of her situation. Read the question. If you don't have something helpful to say then please refrain from posting.

Thank you.
Thank you for that Chickrae! They were being very rude.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM

549 posts, read 768,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyblessed10 View Post
I am a single mother with 3 young boys and I am thinking about relocating to las vegas, nv from ohio. We need a change of scenery, pace, warm weather and just a new beginning. I have a Section 8 housing choice voucher, and I am asking for any tips, information, anything on what I need to be aware of. Best/safe neighborhoods, schools, jobs, lifestyle etc. I would greatly appreciate whatever anyone can offer! Thanks so much.
Beware of folks like those that have posted very rude comments. I would like to say that is not the norm in Vegas, but you can see the response for yourself.

Seriously, if I had it to do over, I would have NEVER moved here or moved back! In fact, I am diligently working on moving out! But, like you, have children to consider and trying to secure a job else where isn't really that easy in these troubled times.

You may want to consider West TX or NM. Most of TX have good schools for children and are more family oriented than Vegas. Vegas is NOT the place for new beginnings. It is a place old coggers and egotistical A-holes come to retire and they want mostly nothing to do with children. Amazing, huh?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,242,359 times
Quote:
That is great to hear! Way too many American cities are completely destroyed because of Section 8.
Name one.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
You may want to consider West TX or NM.
Albuquerque, NM is a good bet. It's a nice area with a well-rounded climate, and I remember from when a friend was considering moving there that there is Section 8 housing available in the inner Northwest part of the city, which is quite tolerable demographically and in close proximity to very nice areas like Los Ranchos and Rio Rancho. The areas to avoid in Albuquerque are near downtown and most of the South, particularly Southwest areas like South Valley.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 PM

43 posts, read 103,739 times
Having lived in the southwest of Albuquerque, I would have to say that it has a worse reputation than it needs. The "bad" areas of Albuquerque are not anywhere near as bad as Las Vegas. The Northwest of Albuquerque is expensive and not cracked up to what everyone thinks it is - in fact, my friend who lived in the northwest had more issues than I ever did. Even still, it was just a bunch of kids being idiots.

Albuquerque also has some of the worst schools out there for kids, especially low-income. That being said, I enjoyed living in that city, and would recommend it if you do your research. I agree with most of the posters that Las Vegas isn't the town for you & your fam.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 PM

10,485 posts, read 13,643,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Albuquerque, NM is a good bet. It's a nice area with a well-rounded climate.
The OP said they want to live somewhere with warm weather. Albuquerque is brutally cold with winter temperatures getting down to the single digits. Anyone escaping a cold climate would be severely unhappy moving to Albuquerque. I know because I have lived there for a brief time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas