U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 12,873,977 times
Reputation: 6304
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Ya know once you get into las vegas you wont be in kansas anymore.
He is only taking a vacation, so I think he is already well aware of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,101 posts, read 17,775,740 times
Reputation: 3668
You didn't say where you are coming from in Kansas, but if you MapQuest it from KC, the difference in distance on either I-70 or I-40 is only 20 miles. If you do a MapQuest to show the southern route you'll have to put in Albuquerque or some other town along that route, then add Las Vegas as an additional stop. If you are already somewhere near Colorado then that would be the way to go.

Driving Directions from Kansas City, KS to Albuquerque, NM

Driving Directions from Kansas City, KS to Las Vegas, NV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,708,487 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You didn't say where you are coming from in Kansas, but if you MapQuest it from KC, the difference in distance on either I-70 or I-40 is only 20 miles. If you do a MapQuest to show the southern route you'll have to put in Albuquerque or some other town along that route, then add Las Vegas as an additional stop. If you are already somewhere near Colorado then that would be the way to go.

Driving Directions from Kansas City, KS to Albuquerque, NM

Driving Directions from Kansas City, KS to Las Vegas, NV
Just because I like to help when I see people having to tweak mapping software to get it to go a proper route, Google Maps actually lets you move your route around based on waypoints. To make a waypoint, all you have to do is click on the highlight line that covers the current route and move it to other roads. You still sometimes have to tweak using several waypoints, but it's a fun way to quickly experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,101 posts, read 17,775,740 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Just because I like to help when I see people having to tweak mapping software to get it to go a proper route, Google Maps actually lets you move your route around based on waypoints. To make a waypoint, all you have to do is click on the highlight line that covers the current route and move it to other roads. You still sometimes have to tweak using several waypoints, but it's a fun way to quickly experiment.
My experience with Google maps is that they have sent me to places that don't exist on highways that don't exist. But I'll give them another shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,708,487 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My experience with Google maps is that they have sent me to places that don't exist on highways that don't exist. But I'll give them another shot.
Ouch! I've never had anything that bad happen using Google directions, but definitely found my share of misnomers, especially looking for exits on urban freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
2,255 posts, read 3,518,206 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
He is only taking a vacation, so I think he is already well aware of this.
Uh, you didn't realize that was a humorous post referencing the well-known line from the movie "The Wizard of Oz"? "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
11,484 posts, read 16,193,598 times
Reputation: 5408
The Kansas joke is pretty funny

I find people from Kansas get pretty tired of it pretty quickly.

A good friend of mine is from Kansas. We were already drinking and I introduced him to another friend of mine who quickly asked where he was from and did a 'Wizard of Oz' joke.

My Kansas friend, drunk, flicked him off and said 'f you'! The other guy never forgot that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:56 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 12,873,977 times
Reputation: 6304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Uh, you didn't realize that was a humorous post referencing the well-known line from the movie "The Wizard of Oz"? "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore?"
I know it was a major movie, but I have never seen it before as it did not interest me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
2,255 posts, read 3,518,206 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The Kansas joke is pretty funny
If you grew up in the '80s, you might recall that it's also the opening line in EBN-OZN's new wave hit "AEIOU Sometimes Y".


YouTube - Ebn Ozn - aeiou and sometimes y

Those '80s hair styles crack me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,101 posts, read 17,775,740 times
Reputation: 3668
I think we have now properly disabused gburke1 of ever wanting to visit Las Vegas. Now why don't we map him out a route to Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top