Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on coming to Las Vegas in the very near term.

I am planning on moving somewhere different, I love where I live now (Orlando, FL) but I want a change and I want to go somewhere I've never been before.

From what I have been told, Vegas is a lot like Orlando. In the sense, both cities are big time tourist destinations (and fierce competitors for conventions I might add) The traffic is pretty bad in Orlando as it is in Vegas or so I'm told. Both cities are the hardest hit by the real estate crash, both cities are very racially diverse, and the crime is pretty high too, and both get scorching hot in the summer time (though Vegas gets it worse, dry heat or not heat is heat)

Perhaps I shouldn't move to Vegas. because I'd be dealing with the same issues as I'm dealing with here in Florida. Perhaps I'm just young and wanting to get out and explore the world. I havent left Florida since 2006, and have only left Orlando twice since then! I guess I feel trapped here.

In spite of the bad economy I feel Vegas has a lot of potential for somebody young and motivated to make something of themselves, whether its big or small. Which makes Vegas Orlando's ideal sister city. Both cities have unlimited startup potential for practically any sort of business.

I may come to Vegas this coming spring, or summer. Not so much to gamble or drink (wont be old enough till December 2010) But I'd like to explore the city and see what it offers local residents, and if it's reallya place I'd like to move to in the future (perhaps 2-6 yrs down the road)

So tell me about Las Vegas, what is it like for locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Wait till you are 21. Then come and visit. Vegas isn't nearly as much fun if you are underage.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Agreed, this town is boring for anyone under 21. You would just be wasting your time.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM

23,868 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The traffic is pretty bad in Orlando as it is in Vegas or so I'm told.
People that say that Las Vegas has bad traffic have never lived in a city with bad traffic. Yeah, it can bunch up sometimes, usually if there's an accident, but the typical drive-time traffic is not that bad. I challenge anyone that thinks otherwise to get on northbound I-405 in El Segundo at 4:30pm and take a drive into the San Fernando valley, or get on eastbound SR-134 in Glendale at 5pm and head toward San Bernardino. That'll change their mind about Las Vegas traffic being "bad".

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People that say that Las Vegas has bad traffic have never lived in a city with bad traffic. Yeah, it can bunch up sometimes, usually if there's an accident, but the typical drive-time traffic is not that bad. I challenge anyone that thinks otherwise to get on northbound I-405 in El Segundo at 4:30pm and take a drive into the San Fernando valley, or get on eastbound SR-134 in Glendale at 5pm and head toward San Bernardino. That'll change their mind about Las Vegas traffic being "bad".
Totally agree. "Bad" is a relative term. The traffic here does not bother me at all, especially compared to what I experienced in Southern CA.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
It is a common misconception that Las Vegas compares to any other city...it doesn't. Just for starters, although second to Las Vegas for convention space, Orlando has about 2 million sq ft. while Las Vegas has 9 million sq ft., with 4 million more on the way...the most of any city, but it depends on who you believe. This: http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...acilities.html

Or this: Top 10 host cities of conventions - U.S. business- msnbc.com (I think this one is way overblown in amount of space.)

We have nearly 4000 conventions, corporate meetings, and trade shows a year; down a little now in both cities since Obama made his stupid remarks that will probably help cost Harry Reid his job. Las Vegas has more rooms than any other city also.

As far as weather, I don't know if Orlando ever reaches more than 100 degrees, but at 80º Florida feels like 200º, and 100º would probably cause a lot of deaths in that humidity. In Las Vegas, 90º is quite comfortable, and even 100º isn't all that bad. Humidity does make all the difference in the world.

Crime is not good anywhere, but is average for the size of the city in Las Vegas.

Diversity? Vegas is an international city...always has been.

Traffic? Ours is pretty irritating from 7am to 8:30am, and 5pm to 6:15pm when you are running late, but it's not bad most of the time. I've seen alo whole lot worse in several other cities.

Then there is location. Orlando lies in the middle of an alligator swamp where mildew ruins everything you own, plus there is every creepy crawly thing imaginable to bite, sting, or otherwise constantly irritate the he** out of you; while Las Vegas is in the beautiful Mojave desert where we don't even have fleas, and seldom see a mosquito, let alone any mildew.

But you just need to come out and see for yourself.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It is a common misconception that Las Vegas compares to any other city...it doesn't. Just for starters, although second to Las Vegas for convention space, Orlando has about 2 million sq ft. while Las Vegas has 9 million sq ft., with 4 million more on the way...the most of any city, but it depends on who you believe. This: http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...acilities.html

Or this: Top 10 host cities of conventions - U.S. business- msnbc.com (I think this one is way overblown in amount of space.)

We have nearly 4000 conventions, corporate meetings, and trade shows a year; down a little now in both cities since Obama made his stupid remarks that will probably help cost Harry Reid his job. Las Vegas has more rooms than any other city also.

As far as weather, I don't know if Orlando ever reaches more than 100 degrees, but at 80º Florida feels like 200º, and 100º would probably cause a lot of deaths in that humidity. In Las Vegas, 90º is quite comfortable, and even 100º isn't all that bad. Humidity does make all the difference in the world.

Crime is not good anywhere, but is average for the size of the city in Las Vegas.

Traffic? Ours is pretty irritating from 7am to 8:30am, and 5pm to 6:15pm when you are running late, but it's not bad most of the time. I've seen alo whole lot worse in several other cities.

Then there is location. Orlando lies in the middle of an alligator swamp where mildew ruins everything you own, plus there is every creepy crawly thing imaginable to bite, sting, or otherwise constantly irritate the he** out of you; while Las Vegas is in the beautiful Mojave desert where we don't even have fleas, and seldom see a mosquito, let alone any mildew.

Ouch, it sounds like you really do not like Florida.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
florida is terrible imo, the humidity is terrible.. i'll take 100 degrees in vegas before 80 in florida

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ouch, it sounds like you really do not like Florida.
I lived there a couple of times for a short while, and I've visited there lots. Back when I lived on the east coast I was like all north easterners...Florida seemed ideal. I didn't know any better, so I was sure I'd move to Florida some day. I really liked it, except for the humidity. Then I moved here. Now the more I see of Florida the more I think it really sucks. Last time we were there they were having a red tide. We thought we'd choke to death before we got away from the beach. One more reason to appreciate Nevada. My sister has lived there for 55 years and she has always hated it, but won't leave because of the kids.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

I think your views are a little extreme, Most of Orlando is actually solid land, I will give you credit though in saying that a lot of land is swampy, Disney World was built on swamp land.

Mildew has ruined nothing I own, not yet at least. We do have a lot of creepy crawly bugs but a majority of them do not sting or bite, they are irritating. Though to be honest with you I rarely encounter any bugs at all.

Orlando's traffic gets bad the exact same time's as Vegas does apparently.

As far as heat, It has only reached 100º twice in my life, WITH HUMIDITY! Yes that did suck. Its usually 90-96 in the summer months (May-September) Even with humidity, I'm comfortable at 80, 85 is good, 90 is pushing it.

I've never been out west before, this is why I would liek to explore the southwest.

Oh and BTW, doesnt vegas have rattlesnakes and scorpions and other animals that are more dangerous then insects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas