U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 24,197 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to the Las Vegas area in several weeks and I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer.

We live on Long Island in New York and we are looking for the best drivimg route to Las Vegas. We have alternately seen both the Route 80 trip and I believe it is the Route 70 route.

Both obviously head west and eventually end up in Vegas. Any ideas on the best rote there?

Please forgive me if this has been posted before I did a search but could not locate a thread.

Thanks for any hints,

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
I've done the trip in two different directions on two different routes, and they're both pretty much the same.

On the way to Vegas from NJ, we stopped in Atlanta to visit some friends, so that was the southern route. We took 95 to 85 to Atlanta, and then went back up 75 to 4o and took 40 all the way across.

Moving back to NJ, we took 40 to 44 up to 70 and across the PA turnpike.

With either route, the nicest part of the trip IMO was the eastern portion- the central part of the route was too flat and boring, and the drive across OK, TX, NM and AZ was mostly barren.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably take the 80 route, just to get some nice mountain scenery through UT and CO. Of course, if you're driving a moving truck with a car trailer on the back, that mountain route might not be as fun. At least you won't have to worry about snow and ice at this time of year.

Best of luck,

Bob

Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 AM

201 posts, read 684,993 times
Depends on weather, time, and what kind of scenery you want. I've always gone 70, 44, 40. But the times I did it was in winter and I wanted to minimize snow conditions. As said above the ride is real boring until you hit NM.

p.s. I grew up in Smithtown.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 24,197 times
Thanks for the quick response guys I guess I will use Route 80, ejl, North Massapequa here we actually grew up in the Bronx

Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM

278 posts, read 758,944 times
I just made the trip about a month ago from Ohio. We were going to take 80 but the weather in Iowa was bad at the time. Pluse I heard driving through Iowa and Nebraska was just awful. We have taken the 40 route when we had moved to Phoenix. Let's just say, Oklahoma and Texas panhandle, nothing to see. So we decided on the 70 so we could stop in Denver on the way to visit family. Well once you leave Ohio, there is nothing to see in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri (we did like driving thru St. Louis), Kansas and half of Colorado. The worst being Kansas. There is nothing there and I mean nothing!!! Once we got into Denver the scenery started to change and the mountains were beautiful. The roads through the mountains weren't as treacherous as I thought but we were hurrying to beat a winter storm. Utah was beautiful but there is nothing there either. No towns for ever. The mountain passes in Utah scared me more than the the ones in CO. Probably because we hit the storm there. Good thing nobody had to use the restroom until we found a place to eat. There really was nothing until you got to St. George. Beautiful area, worth seeing. From there, nothing until you got into Nevada. Though the drive thru that small section of AZ was breathtaking. But the first town we hit was Mesquite in NV. After that, nothing until we saw the strip from a distance. Well there were those power lines. All in all it only took us about 3 days of driving to get here. (about 12 hrs a day). So have fun on your move!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,160,442 times
I-80 west to Salt Lake City, then I-15 south to Las Vegas

Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 PM

201 posts, read 684,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyboy View Post
Thanks for the quick response guys I guess I will use Route 80, ejl, North Massapequa here we actually grew up in the Bronx
Cool, just moved here from Queens.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 AM

11,553 posts, read 20,476,787 times
Nothing to see? You aren't looking. It's that "nothing" that makes the west what it is...wide open space and freedom from congestion and people and restrictions and gloom...Did you notice the sky, the mountains, the desert, or the stark beauty of the life all around that is out in the open where you can enjoy it? This is the west...wild and beautiful...why are you coming here if there's nothing to see? You mean cities and towns are all there is to see? I pity you.

ESCAPE

“We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it.
We need a refuge even though we may never need to go there....
We need the possibility of escape as surely as we need hope.”

- Edward Abbey

Take the northern route or the southern route...either way there is a world of things to see before you get to Vegas. Besides everything else...along the northern route you top out at over 11,000 feet crossing the Rockies...But along the southern route...I-40...there is the most magnificant sight in the whole world...the thing every American should see...but it seems only foreigners are enjoying...the Grand Canyon.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM

278 posts, read 758,944 times
I agree that it is beautiful, the big open stretches of land, but hours after hours after hours of it really gets old. And I am sure there are beautiful areas in all of those states but they cannot be seen off the highway. But the 70 does not get scenic until you can just pick out the mountains in the distance. From then out there was something to look at the rest of the trip. I have tons of pics from the 2nd half of the trip. I can't tell you how many different mountains I took. And I do like to look at different towns across the country. It's neat to seen what kind of things are different and what are the same.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

11,553 posts, read 20,476,787 times
I have to admit that the most boring drive I've ever made was the route through Kansas and Nebraska. I'll never take that route again. If I had to live that far from mountains I'd go crazy, which I understand a lot of pioneers did while crossing those endless plains in covered wagons. I was born and raised in the mountains of West (by God) Virginia so I love mountains...except, although I've done my share of hiking, I hate walking uphill.

The first trip I ever made back east with my Houstonian wife took us five days. She kept wanting to stop and see everything on the way. We have 9,000 pictures of Texas Panhandle windmills. I kept trying to get her to hurry, and when we finally got there she said she didn't realize how far it was from the west to the east. She thought we'd be there in about a day and a half. By the time we got there it was almost time to come back home. I think we averaged about 95mph on the trip back and barely stopped for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas