U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 PM

289 posts, read 259,304 times
Question Law or Pharmacy Route ?

Since our economy is in the dumps, I'm going back to school...
Pharmacists getting out of school get instant contracts of $100k.
But lawyers getting out of school, the same?
What is the process for young lawyers getting out of school?..pay, law firm...etc.. anyone know>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM

7,859 posts, read 13,741,117 times
You need to do a lot more research. There are lots of unemployed lawyers. Pharmacists are doing a little better. There is still some demand for them but the big box companies are regimenting them more and more.

Most lawyers have to work a huge number of billable hours to make partner. For years. A JD is not automatic success.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:19 PM

9,487 posts, read 14,546,961 times
100k for a pharmacist out the door..? i want what you're smoking dude!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,089,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Medical marijuana? Maybe he can hook you up when he gets there.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,144,226 times
Don't go to law school unless you get into a top 10 school (think Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn, UChicago, etc) or land a huge academic scholarship at a lower ranked school in the area you want to work. If you don't abide by this, you'll be hating yourself in 3 years when you have $150k+ debt with terrible job prospects (terrible as in working as a public defender or in insurance defense making $40k with no benefits while working 60-70 hours/week) . The country doesn't need more lawyers and most markets are very saturated.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 AM

2,366 posts, read 3,032,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Don't go to law school unless you get into a top 10 school (think Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn, UChicago, etc) or land a huge academic scholarship at a lower ranked school in the area you want to work. If you don't abide by this, you'll be hating yourself in 3 years when you have $150k+ debt with terrible job prospects (terrible as in working as a public defender or in insurance defense making $40k with no benefits while working 60-70 hours/week) . The country doesn't need more lawyers and most markets are very saturated.
I agree with this. Lawyers have more potential if they attend top schools, do well and get good experience. In most cases, though, Pharmacists will have more stable employment opportunities than Attorneys. My guess is Pharmacists are less likely to be found looking for opportunities than Lawyers.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM

549 posts, read 799,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
Since our economy is in the dumps, I'm going back to school...
Pharmacists getting out of school get instant contracts of $100k.
But lawyers getting out of school, the same?
What is the process for young lawyers getting out of school?..pay, law firm...etc.. anyone know>?
Pharmacy is much more interesting and definitely opportunity to work in many different institutions. I don't like lawyers all that much nor do I like the scum in the legal system. Prosecutors are myopic and defenders lack in skills and have too many cases to do a decent job. I find law itself interesting, but many times judge-lawyers interpret law instead of applying law and they do a poor job at that. It is also still a "good ole' boy" institution. Our legal system is really in a sad state. I keep wondering when someone is going to push legal reform as hard as they have health care reform.

As for pharmacy, REALLY interesting and definitely more challenging than law, particularly when it comes to chemical compounds & solutions. If you're really strong in science, good with math, and have curiosity, you'll enjoy pharmacy courses. When I was in nursing taking a drugs and solutions class I actually caught a pharmacists mistake in filling a prescription for my sick child. It wasn't a major one, just gave me a bottle of liquid medication that would last for a year when only 10 days were prescribed!

Additionally, you will learn quite a bit of law in terms of medical malpractice while studying pharmacy. Legal liability is a part of the medical system that unfortunately that keeps good people from doing better jobs.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM

900 posts, read 750,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
My daughter is a pharmacist and she works for herself doing staff relief at several pharmacies. She makes $92 an hour and works when she wants to.

100K a year is only $48 an hour. That is an out-the-door expected income.
No 'smoking' involved.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM

289 posts, read 259,304 times
Default good information, keep it coming

All so far is good information and want more..

That fact that there are many lawyers and some of you don't like lawyers is of your own opinion...no one likes them, but the top ones make good money... and law is interesting...

I'm really looking at job prospects afterwards and so far pharmacy sounds good...almost and instant job getting out...but law is not an instatnt job, as one poster has mentioned....

any more information would be great...school, costs, classes...life..etc

Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 PM

549 posts, read 799,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
All so far is good information and want more..

That fact that there are many lawyers and some of you don't like lawyers is of your own opinion...no one likes them, but the top ones make good money... and law is interesting...

I'm really looking at job prospects afterwards and so far pharmacy sounds good...almost and instant job getting out...but law is not an instatnt job, as one poster has mentioned....

any more information would be great...school, costs, classes...life..etc
My attitude about lawyers is not just an opinion because 'no one likes them', it is of experience; with hundreds of hours of study, document preparation, evidence gathering, trial preparation, and observing the most horrid decisions based on little fact. Yes, top lawyers make good money, but they usually have to sell their soul to the devil. If you only care about the money you could potentially earn, you probably won't enjoy your work.

You should visit the occupational outlook handbook Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition to get more details about each of the occupations you are considering. Then you may want to visit livecareer.com to do a personal inventory of your interests to see if either career will be a match for your personality. Basing a career on income alone is a poor way to decide what you'd like to do long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas