Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 PM

31 posts, read 68,170 times

Advertisements

Hey Las Vegas,

I was wondering how much credit card debt does the average Las Vegan has? and over how many credit cards?

I was just laid off, and I'm planning to max my cards out to provide for my family.

I currently have $15K worth of credit cards debt, and have a total line of credit over $35K, and a total of 4 credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David702 View Post

I was just laid off, and I'm planning to max my cards out to provide for my family.
Since I am responsible, I have no credit card debt on either of my 2 cards. What you are planning on doing is immoral, since you will not be able to pay it off. I sincerely I hope your credit card providers cancel your cards ASAP.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 PM

Default Of Course I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Since I am responsible, I have no credit card debt on either of my 2 cards. What you are planning on doing is immoral, since you will not be able to pay it off. I sincerely I hope your credit card providers cancel your cards ASAP.
Of course I can pay it off, I got another job, but doesn't start until Feb. 2010. I just need to use my credit card to hold me over for a few months.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM

I guess the nay-sayers are always the first to respond.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Can you not collect unemployment untill then?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Don't be surprised if the banks chop your limit to your current balance once you start using them more. Also, if they haven't already, they'll probably skyrocket your interest rates.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
make sure you dont do cash advances, thats a red flag

Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
I have two CC with about $50K limit between them. But, I pay them off every month. I would say use them as little as possible. The interest will kill you.

BTW, I'm only a part time Vegas resident (starting tomorrow).

Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David702 View Post
Hey Las Vegas,

I was wondering how much credit card debt does the average Las Vegan has? and over how many credit cards?

I currently have $15K worth of credit cards debt, and have a total line of credit over $35K, and a total of 4 credit cards.

We have 5 credit cards between myself and Mr. MomMom but no open balances. If we use one, we pay whatever we charged by the date due.

We do use the Am Ex Gold Card for just about everything from gift purchases, grocery shopping, pre-paid/automatic monthly bills, etc. and we pay that off every month as well. We'll only use our other credit cards when the merchant doesn't accept American Express and we don't have enough cash on us or in the checking account to use our debit card.

We like receiving the points you get for using the Am Ex card. Saving them up now for use on one of our vacations next year, like we did this summer.

David, while it's your own business what you do with your credit, what you plan on doing (maxing out your cards to live on) is not a good idea in my opinion.

The interest will be ridiculous, and your credit score will take a hit. Even if you pay every month on time. It will take you years at the minimum payment due to pay off those cards and you'll triple what you have to pay back after adding all the finance charges!

So many stores are hiring seasonal help right now, isn't there possibly something else you can do to provide for your family? Would moving out of Las Vegas be a better solution for you? Other cities are not suffering quite as much as Las Vegas as far as employment goes.

Like I said, it's none of my business what you do, but you asked for opinions. You are to be commended, obviously you are a wonderful family man and your main concern is the well being of your family.

Just please, re-think your strategy looking further down the road so to speak.
Best wishes and good karma to you David.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,317 times
If you don't have a job ... the credit card companies will know fairly quickly and cut you off ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: