Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,315,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I disagree completely. I have been down on my luck multiple times in my life. Multiple times, I have been taken in by various people and helped by various people. Every time someone helped me it was a liberal democrat. In fact, it was because my conservative republican father was always kicking me out of the house. This also goes for my clients when I was a nursing assistant. I could always tell what party they were. The liberals would pay for me when I went out to dinner with them, and let me eat food out of the fridge. The conservatives were the opposite. The articles say otherwise, but I have never met a conservative yet who was not selfish, and only cared about themselves.

They've done studies on this. Conservatives donate more than liberals at all income levels. If you adjusted for the fact that many 'donations' from liberals are to fringe wacko websites and organizations like MoveOn, Center for American Progress and all the other Soros/Lewis/Bing backed entitites, the gap would widen.

Sure, there are generous liberals and greedy conservatives. I don't buy for one second that liberals are more generous or compassionate than conservatives. It's liberal policies that drove California, New York, Illinois and other cities/states into the ground. It's compassionate liberals who oppose school vouchers for poor minority children in urban areas b/c they are bought and paid for by the NEA and AFT. It's liberals who want the authoritarian Healthcare system and who oppose tort reform b/c they are bought and paid for by the plaintiff's attorney lobby. It's liberals who want your energy prices to skyrocket through Cap-and-Trade and oppose expanded drilling, expanded refining, nuclear and coal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,154,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
They've done studies on this. Conservatives donate more than liberals at all income levels. If you adjusted for the fact that many 'donations' from liberals are to fringe wacko websites and organizations like MoveOn, Center for American Progress and all the other Soros/Lewis/Bing backed entitites, the gap would widen.

Sure, there are generous liberals and greedy conservatives. I don't buy for one second that liberals are more generous or compassionate than conservatives. It's liberal policies that drove California, New York, Illinois and other cities/states into the ground. It's compassionate liberals who oppose school vouchers for poor minority children in urban areas b/c they are bought and paid for by the NEA and AFT. It's liberals who want the authoritarian Healthcare system and who oppose tort reform b/c they are bought and paid for by the plaintiff's attorney lobby. It's liberals who want your energy prices to skyrocket through Cap-and-Trade and oppose expanded drilling, expanded refining, nuclear and coal.
It is obvious you are a conservative, so there is no point in me arguing with you. You can say what you want, but my real life experience says otherwise. I have NEVER known a conservative that donated to charity or was generous in any way. You forget, I was raised as a republican. I am even registered as a republican. It took me many years to see the light that most of the conservative philosophy is wrong. I say most because there are a few things such as gun control in which I fully agree with them. I am also furious about the cash for clunkers program, and I am fully against the cap and trade by the way.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,315,820 times
Quote:
It is obvious you are a conservative, so there is no point in me arguing with you. You can say what you want, but my real life experience says otherwise. I have NEVER known a conservative that donated to charity or was generous in any way. You forget, I was raised as a republican. I am even registered as a republican. It took me many years to see the light that most of the conservative philosophy is wrong. I say most because there are a few things such as gun control in which I fully agree with them. I am also furious about the cash for clunkers program, and I am fully against the cap and trade by the way.

Neither one is going to flip the other, but the statement you made in bold could not be more wrong. It is the liberal Big Government philosophy that is wrong. The proof is in the pudding. Look how the left brought California to its knees. It means nothing that Schwarzenegger is an R; he is still a Big Government, high taxing leftist.

The left's philosophy brings misery, dependence on Government and loss of prosperity. While NV has its problems with the Economic downturn, it's still better positioned than many Big Government states run by the left. I'm sure you appreciate the lower tax burden and, were you running a business, the lower regulatory burden. You don't get these things in 'liberal' states. All you get are high taxes and heavy regulations (along with depopulation!). The states that are losing the most people to domestic migration are all run by leftists: California, NY, NJ, IL, MA, MI, PA (which is a bit more mixed, but D leaning).

I don't look at the limited Government ('conservative') vs Big Government ('liberal') debate as a difference of opinion. I see it as me being right (as in correct, not location on the political spectrum) and leftists being wrong.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Neither one is going to flip the other, but the statement you made in bold could not be more wrong. It is the liberal Big Government philosophy that is wrong. The proof is in the pudding. Look how the left brought California to its knees. It means nothing that Schwarzenegger is an R; he is still a Big Government, high taxing leftist.

The left's philosophy brings misery, dependence on Government and loss of prosperity. While NV has its problems with the Economic downturn, it's still better positioned than many Big Government states run by the left. I'm sure you appreciate the lower tax burden and, were you running a business, the lower regulatory burden. You don't get these things in 'liberal' states. All you get are high taxes and heavy regulations (along with depopulation!). The states that are losing the most people to domestic migration are all run by leftists: California, NY, NJ, IL, MA, MI, PA (which is a bit more mixed, but D leaning).

I don't look at the limited Government ('conservative') vs Big Government ('liberal') debate as a difference of opinion. I see it as me being right (as in correct, not location on the political spectrum) and leftists being wrong.
Arizona is a total right winger state and they are in SEVERE dire straits. I am from there, so I know this. Care to explain? They are in just as bad shape as California. In fact, many have said Phoenix is in worse shape than Detroit.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:58 PM

549 posts, read 1,376,882 times
Quote:
I just reviewed my comment, and it is the God's honest truth. If you notice I said all conservatives that I have met have been selfish. I never said all conservatives are selfish. I am sure that are some that are not, I have just not met any personally. I have deep disgust for their values for a reason. One in particular was my father. He was a Rush Limbaugh loving right winger to the core. When I was 16, all my friends, who had liberal parents, had their cars bought for them and their insurance paid for. My dad of course, who did have the money by the way, made me get a job, and buy my own car AND pay for insurance, gas etc. This of course caused my grades to slip badly, which is still affecting me to this day. He never gave me anything, and even when I was homeless out here in Vegas, he would not even pay for a bus ticket back home. My dad even told me that if he won powerball lottery, he would not give me or my sister one penny. Also, I had a girlfriend years ago had conservative parents. Her parents were millionaires, and they still made her pay for her truck, insurance, AND college. She had to work full time AND go to school full time. We did not last since I could never see her, and she was so burnt out it was killing her which made her mean and uptight. I could go on and on, but I hope you see my viewpoint now.
Some of this I just don't get. I started working when I was 15, not because my parents made me, but because I wanted to earn my way. My first car I bought from my mom for $1 when I was 18. It was a clunker- a 1976 Chevy Vega. I rode most of the time on may pops. Tore out the clutch several times. Blew 2 engines. Always paid my own insurance.

My grades weren't the best in high school because I worked, had a car, but I also did not apply myself either. I was young and immature. Skip ahead to age 26. I worked full time, went to nursing school full time, married and had a child (other than my husband...LOL). I was up at 5am and often didn't get to bed until 2am. I made A's. I made sacrifices.

I'll tell you like my father told me; I don't owe you anything. That's right. Just because parents have money doesn't always mean they will leave it to their children or do for their children. Why? Because after they are dead and gone, where will we be? Oh, that's right, the one without the knowledge, skills and ability to survive on our own.

You can do better for yourself if you apply yourself and stop resenting your father. Don't tell me you don't. I can feel it in your writing. My grandmother used to talk about dying and who was trying to get what from her. I told her I wasn't a vulture sitting on the fence waiting on her to die to pick her flesh. I had a life. I worked for what I have. We all have to make our own way even though some of the lessons are tough to understand.

Just my 2cents.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Some of this I just don't get. I started working when I was 15, not because my parents made me, but because I wanted to earn my way. My first car I bought from my mom for $1 when I was 18. It was a clunker- a 1976 Chevy Vega. I rode most of the time on may pops. Tore out the clutch several times. Blew 2 engines. Always paid my own insurance.

My grades weren't the best in high school because I worked, had a car, but I also did not apply myself either. I was young and immature. Skip ahead to age 26. I worked full time, went to nursing school full time, married and had a child (other than my husband...LOL). I was up at 5am and often didn't get to bed until 2am. I made A's. I made sacrifices.

I'll tell you like my father told me; I don't owe you anything. That's right. Just because parents have money doesn't always mean they will leave it to their children or do for their children. Why? Because after they are dead and gone, where will we be? Oh, that's right, the one without the knowledge, skills and ability to survive on our own, and it stops me in my tracks because I actually looked up to him.

You can do better for yourself if you apply yourself and stop resenting your father. Don't tell me you don't. I can feel it in your writing. My grandmother used to talk about dying and who was trying to get what from her. I told her I wasn't a vulture sitting on the fence waiting on her to die to pick her flesh. I had a life. I worked for what I have. We all have to make our own way even though some of the lessons are tough to understand.

Just my 2cents.
I do resent my father, because he told me horrible things. Even at 34, I have never gotten over it.

"You are not my son" (I was his biological son)

"I am going to hire some guys to kill you "

"You are a piece of garbage, and will never amount to nothing"

"I do not care if you are homeless, you are not coming back here. Why don't you do me and your mother a favor and kill yourself. I am sick of dealing with you"

All of these hurt me to this day. He died in 1999, so it is over, and I am completely on my own now. My friends have tried to help me too with dealing with it. The problem is every time I try to get ahead, I hear him saying these things.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,530,462 times
Quote:
I do resent my father, because he told me horrible things. Even at 34, I have never gotten over it.

"I do not care if you are homeless, you are not coming back here. Why don't you do me and your mother a favor and kill yourself. I am sick of dealing with you"

All of these hurt me to this day. He died in 1999, so it is over, and I am completely on my own now. My friends have tried to help me too with dealing with it. The problem is every time I try to get ahead, I hear him saying these things.
wow man thats pretty heavy stuff. i thought my dad was an ass whole.

this sounds easier then done, but dont let that stuff bother you. i believe you CAN get ahead in life

i dont know you on a more personal level. but hear me out when i say i believe in you and support you! you can accomplish great things. but you need to let the past go. Remember this is almost 2010, Im sure you have frineds both in Phoenix and Vegas who love you and support you! Go for it man!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:

You're going to think I'm weirder than you probably already do, but forgive him LVD. He's gone now and so should the demon that he left in you. Just say out loud in a quiet place to yourself while picturing him in your mind, I forgive you for everything you did to me. Say it 3 times and then let it go. You'll feel a great relief and can move forward.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,913,711 times
Quote:
I am going to post this here. As I have said before, I bought a brand new Samsung 1080p LCD television on Black Friday. I bought it to replace the Sony Wega flat screen CRT television I had, which is the older heavy type television. I thought I would put it on the craigslist free section, and donate it to a needy family. I try to be a philanthropist, but this was a challenge to say the least. I got email after email asking if I was for real. I managed to get flagged down and removed within about 15 minutes. I gave it to a needy family. At least I think I did, but who knows if they were lying to me. I got less than 10 emails to chose from before my ad was fllagged and removed.
Hopefully, it was a needy person sitting at the library on CL and not someone sitting on their fancy computer in a cushy home...

Quote:
I just reviewed my comment, and it is the God's honest truth. If you notice I said all conservatives that I have met have been selfish. I never said all conservatives are selfish. I am sure that are some that are not, I have just not met any personally. I have deep disgust for their values for a reason. One in particular was my father. He was a Rush Limbaugh loving right winger to the core. When I was 16, all my friends, who had liberal parents, had their cars bought for them and their insurance paid for. My dad of course, who did have the money by the way, made me get a job, and buy my own car AND pay for insurance, gas etc. This of course caused my grades to slip badly, which is still affecting me to this day. He never gave me anything, and even when I was homeless out here in Vegas, he would not even pay for a bus ticket back home. My dad even told me that if he won powerball lottery, he would not give me or my sister one penny. Also, I had a girlfriend years ago had conservative parents. Her parents were millionaires, and they still made her pay for her truck, insurance, AND college. She had to work full time AND go to school full time. We did not last since I could never see her, and she was so burnt out it was killing her which made her mean and uptight. I could go on and on, but I hope you see my viewpoint now.
Ok, your dad was a bit extreme, but it is probably the reason that you pulled yourself out of desperate situations. Many wealthy kids who get all they ask for and more, would not know how to survive anywhere, much less alone and homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post

Just my 2cents.
2.5 million and you got nothing???

Quote:

Those are horrible things to hear and I cannot even imagine it. Alcohol involved? Either way, it had to really hurt and still does, I am sure. Baby steps to get ahead and with every baby step and the accomplishment that follows, you can stomp another one of his nasty, negative quotes out of your life!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
2.5 million and you got nothing???
I didn't say either way. The point is not what I got or didn't get.

I was providing an example of how she lived and how others talked about her. Let them talk. They probably are not worth what she was monetarily speaking.

She obviously saved and invested to increase her monetary worth. Of course, it probably helped a lot that she also inherited my grandfather's wealth as he passed before her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: