Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
physical seperation so you can actually like know people, ect.)

Some things I would look for would be artistic little town with open minded people ... cool stuff, cozy vibe, well kept, and real close to Vegas strip!
Any suggestions .. if so please tell me why you suggest it!
Thanks =)
There is an artist community about 45 miles west of Las Vegas that is accessible from the 1st exit off I-15 once you get into California.

It is a nice collection of non-descript cinder block buildings and trailers. What else would you expect out in the middle of a desert? I never really stopped there.

Most of the artists communities - out near Gerlach, Tuscarora, etc. - are miles away from the cities in areas that are remote and stunningly beautiful.
And they have few amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 11:31 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Gracias to yunes what liked me post. The stat that I like most about Nevada is that outside of the the two population centers the state has less than one person per square mile. When I landed here in the 1960s we had less than half a million people in the whole state.

For those that complain that the architecture is too much like SOCal, I sort of agree. I think it should be more like Albuquerque or at least, Tucson or Sedona since we are in the southwest and the Anasazi lived nearby. That's keeping in mind of course that the pueblo revival architecture of Albuquerque was a marketing ploy by the city in the 1930's to attract more tourists. But probably 90% of the builders of Las Vegas came here from California which is closer, as did most of the population. Too bad. You'd think it would at least be old Spanish style which has more character than the cookie cutter cheese box homes of the mid 20th century.

Older Las Vegas architecture is mostly mid century modern and was designed by only a handful of local architects. I don't know where they originally came from, but I suspect it was California. Before that it looked like a third world country or an old western movie.

If they ever do it again, and you get the chance, go on the architecture tour. It was a recent look back in time by the Nevada State Museum which frequently has historical presentations. One or two of the Realtors who post here had a lot to do with it so I don't know who to credit.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is an artist community about 45 miles west of Las Vegas that is accessible from the 1st exit off I-15 once you get into California.

It is a nice collection of non-descript cinder block buildings and trailers. What else would you expect out in the middle of a desert? I never really stopped there.

Most of the artists communities - out near Gerlach, Tuscarora, etc. - are miles away from the cities in areas that are remote and stunningly beautiful.
And they have few amenities.
Uhhh, this is getting off topic a little bit, but Gerlach and Tuscarora are hundreds of miles from Las Vegas where the OP plans to live. I wouldn't wish Tuscarora on my worst enemy...well, on second thought maybe I would.

But it's not even near a city unless by some stretch of the imagination one would call Elko a city. I have nothing against Elko, and enjoy going there, but it's pretty small and isolated. And those Morman crickets...ugggggh!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Uhhh, this is getting off topic a little bit, but Gerlach and Tuscarora are hundreds of miles from Las Vegas where the OP plans to live. I wouldn't wish Tuscarora on my worst enemy...well, on second thought maybe I would.

But it's not even near a city unless by some stretch of the imagination one would call Elko a city. I have nothing against Elko, and enjoy going there, but it's pretty small and isolated. And those Morman crickets...ugggggh!

Buzz -

C'mon, I DID say:

"Most of the artists communities - out near Gerlach, Tuscarora, etc. - are miles away from the cities in areas that are remote and stunningly beautiful.
And they have few amenities. "

I know what the OP is looking for and Nevada does not offer it.

You can find one thing in Tuscarora that you can RARELY find elsewhere in this country - truly delightful, deafening silence.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Really, Nevada doesn't offer what the OP is looking for in the small town. It isn't like Missouri. Not to mention a commute into town would cost a lot of gas. Live in the city!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 AM

278 posts, read 791,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Older Las Vegas architecture is mostly mid century modern and was designed by only a handful of local architects. I don't know where they originally came from, but I suspect it was California. Before that it looked like a third world country or an old western movie.
it definitely was cali. i have a few friends that love mid century modern, and in their research of their own homes, they found that they were, for the most part, built by design firms out of so cal, or people that initially trained in those firms. essentially, the homes that were built in palm springs in its hey day as a getaway from hollywood for the stars ended up being built here in/on a different scale (for example, some of the homes in the rancho bel air neighborhood over off of rancho and alta).

Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Buzz -

C'mon, I DID say:

"Most of the artists communities - out near Gerlach, Tuscarora, etc. - are miles away from the cities in areas that are remote and stunningly beautiful.
And they have few amenities. "

I know what the OP is looking for and Nevada does not offer it.

You can find one thing in Tuscarora that you can RARELY find elsewhere in this country - truly delightful, deafening silence.
I will say this for it, Tuscarora is the most unique place in Nevada. But it's weird.

Also I seriously doubt if 3 people on this forum have heard of it, and maybe one of them has any idea where it is. What do you think?

Now if anyone is looking for a remote, out of the way, small western town in the middle of one of the most beautiful parts of Nevada, that has great Basque food, a big party at least twice a year, with brothels right in the middle of downtown, and on a major freeway, miles from anywhere ...I'd take Elko any time. Then you could go out to Tuscarora to see the artsy folks and the Mormon crickets anytime you wanted.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Just curious how your travel nurse assignment went and if you could give any advice on the hospitals in vegas...I'm thinking of taking an assignment out there soon too and possibly permanently relocating there as well. Any hospitals you know of that offer sign-on and relocation for experienced ICU/CVICU nurses? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn122 View Post
Just curious how your travel nurse assignment went and if you could give any advice on the hospitals in vegas...I'm thinking of taking an assignment out there soon too and possibly permanently relocating there as well. Any hospitals you know of that offer sign-on and relocation for experienced ICU/CVICU nurses? Thanks!
I think the Valley Health System might offer a package for sign on/relocation incentives, you can try here. Hope the info helps you, but most of all, good luck in your search!

Critical Needs Jobs - The Valley Health System

Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 AM

214 posts, read 650,361 times
Check out Summerlin and Anthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas