Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM

49 posts, read 123,704 times

Advertisements

For all of those that gave a nod of agreement or a show of support, I thank you. Hopefully, we will not be here too long and while we are here I will able to enjoy the upside (I haven't found that yet but maybe I will )

My kids are taking everything in stride although they notice the differences and do not like it here either. I am actually quite positive to them, for fear that they pick up on my negativity and project it as their own. To them I am a regular cheerleader for LV. Maybe along the way I will be able to convince myself as well.

Our family has become very close since being here, as we have had to rely more on each other and help each other through this transition. My husband doesn't travel anymore and is home each night, giving us much more time together as a couple and a family. These are def. positives that I am grateful for.

Again, it was just a rant and I can assure you, I am not obsessed with others, superficial or anything else that some posters implied in their responses. These are just my observations since being here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM

49 posts, read 123,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFMOM View Post
A agree. I hate it here. My husband won't leave though
We should meet for coffee. I think we could be friends!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I agree that when you set rules and consequences, you should follow them. However, I feel that setting that specific consequence from the beginning was too harsh. I don't feel the "punishment fits the crime". I can see kicking out over drugs or some illegal or criminal activity, but not over a tattoo. I also completely agree with you on tattoos. I hope my kids never get any, of course right now my oldest is two, so I've got awhile before I have to worry.

Do you think she went ahead with the tattoo because she didn't think you would follow through with such a harsh punishment? I don't know any kid that would actually think that their parent(s) would ever really kick them out. Maybe she thought it was just an idle threat? Maybe if you picked a punishment that she KNEW you would follow through with, she would have waited. Maybe something like taking the car away or not kicking her out indefinitely but giving her the choice to start paying rent or moving out on her own. Then it would have become her decision.

Again, I don't fault you for following through with your rules/consequences, just that maybe more thought should have been put into the consequences for that specific rule. I'm just guessing, but maybe when you set it, you thought it would scare her enough not to get a tattoo, but did you think about if she actually did get a tattoo at the time and actually have to enforce it? If you are the only parent in her life I would think you would want to preserve that and not strain it. JMO
Your choices in punishment are limited when you have an 18yo 'adult' in your home. And, it is not like she's really gone on a permanent basis. All her stuff is still at my house, she has a room and a bed there. She's in college now and still comes home at break. I just made her leave and feel the real world for a while AND give me the opportunity to cool off too.

Your suggestions are interesting though. I can't legally take away a car that she bought and has a title too. If I made her sign a contract for rent and she didn't pay rent, then I'd have to evict her. Not fun either. But, I can tell you now, she and my other 2 know exactly the consequences for violating my rules. They understand that if they want to do something that I have absolutely said don't do, then there will be consequences.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
Ms medc11 - I feel for you. Living in Vegas would be hell on earth for me.
Hell on earth here? If you set out to believe one thing without ever having lived here, seeing the whole picture, then you are setting yourself up for disaster, hating it before ever getting to know it. It's all in the mind, not the place.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
We should meet for coffee. I think we could be friends!
Consider setting up a group on Meetup.com. Call it "I hate Vegas." Then you can get more like minds and you can all meet a few times a week and vent about what bugs you.
I won't be joining you all though, I like it here.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM

391 posts, read 1,713,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Consider setting up a group on Meetup.com. Call it "I hate Vegas." Then you can get more like minds and you can all meet a few times a week and vent about what bugs you.
I won't be joining you all though, I like it here.
LOL...Was going to say the same thing. No better way to change your views and perspective than ranting with the like-minded.

I haven't really observed many of the complaints mentioned in this thread. Maybe I don't look for it very much or just don't care. It IS a blue-collar town and IS quite superficial, but I think it's obvious some come here with a very preconceived negative expectation and only look for things that confirm that.

The complaints in this thread can all be observed in any large metropolitan area if that's what you are looking for and focused on.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Default Damn I have to agree!

Who is anyone to say what is "normal?" So its not normal to you, and? I left Las Vegas 6 months ago am now in Pennsylvania. YUUKKKKKKK!!!!!!! TO THE CORE YUK! Talk about not "normal"?! I can't wait to get back to the West Coast. That's the problem with these damn conservatives, always thinking their narrow ways are the right and "normal" ways. If my 85 year old grand momma wants to where pink hair and a mini skirt, as the song say's "ain't nobody's business if she do." Doesn't make her a bad person or an abnormal person. Get over your conservative self. All the while I lived in Vegas I always wondered who would raise kids in LAS VEGAS any damn way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Hello, this is Vegas. None of the things you said bothers me, or most people. Most people here have real problems to worry about, not silly things like this. The fact that you are conservative means you will never be happy here. It is well know that Vegas is not a good place to raise kids either. I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM

37 posts, read 115,272 times
Again I am conservative and I love it here. This is a different issue than politics. We can talk all day about how the liberals will eventually ruin las Vegas but anyway. The main point here is that the OP should move if she doesn't like it here. Plain and simple. Any job your husband does here he could do anywhere else. You can't have it both ways. You choose to live here so suck it up and quit venting. Do you hate LV when you are cashing your husbands paycheck? You chose to come here, so quit complaing. So in your mind you Sacrificing your kids well being for money? If I thought it would harm my kids I would leave. Good parenting huh. I like your priorities. Please don't "vent" about my city anymore hypocrite.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Score one for the Onion

Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Score another one for the onion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas